99 KDX 200 KIPS wont close when runing

Got questions? We got answers....
Hondo88h

Post by Hondo88h »

I recently purchased a 99 KDX 200, after my first ride I noticed it had no low end power, screams up top, did a little research and checked operation of KIPS, it was all the way open. I can manually turn it each way easily, I pulled pipe and all the valves seem to be opening and closing properly. If I manually close them and start it it will open but doesnt return closed? What is my next step? Clutch side cover? Is it possible something just gummed up or probably broken? I plan to search some more but just trying to gather info as fast as possible, had planned to race a harescramble Sunday but that doesnt look promising. Any tips would be greatly appreciated
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: 99 KDX 200 KIPS wont close when runing

Post by Jaguar »

no low end power mans something other than KIPS such as bad compression or leaky crank seals or frayed reeds or just not jetted right
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Hondo88h wrote:I recently purchased a 99 KDX 200, after my first ride I noticed it had no low end power, screams up top, did a little research and checked operation of KIPS, it was all the way open. I can manually turn it each way easily, I pulled pipe and all the valves seem to be opening and closing properly. If I manually close them and start it it will open but doesnt return closed? What is my next step? Clutch side cover? Is it possible something just gummed up or probably broken? I plan to search some more but just trying to gather info as fast as possible, had planned to race a harescramble Sunday but that doesnt look promising. Any tips would be greatly appreciated
It's dirty. Let the power valve soak in premix over night. Race it then pull it apart and clean it properly
Hondo88h

Post by Hondo88h »

Should it spring back when I turn it manually?? I have the cover where rubber boot is on right side off and everything is moving properly there also? I had thoughts of taking the reverse thread nut off and turning the pawl back a few teeth so its not stuck open all the way to race Sunday? I have gaskets ordered and will tear it down completley and ring it and clean all properly after this weekend. Anyone ever done that? Will it work?
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

the purpose of the valves is to extend the powerband.(rpm range of power)
I got tired of replacing those shitty aluminum valves and so just used epoxy to fill in the side exhaust ports. I still raced it in motocross and had no regrets.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Hondo88h

Post by Hondo88h »

I tore side case off and found the problem, end of actuator rod broke off where it attaches to the drum.... :cry: Not horrible fix I suppose but it grooved up the clutch basket pretty good and who knows what damage all the ground up chunks and shavings did??
Hondo88h

Post by Hondo88h »

Just looked at some pics, guess its the actuator pin?? Looks like it is replaceable separate from the rod?