Kips cleaning and headlights

Got questions? We got answers....
Scrandy

Post by Scrandy »

Hey guys, I think it might be time to clean the power valves. Basically I would like to know how hard it is, how to do it (like how to clean the parts) and if theres anything I should be aware of. I heard something about a reverse threaded bolt? Another thing is about the headlight. I like the stock light but I've always had bad luck with stickers/graphics and the white sticker on the headlight is cracked and peeling. I would like an all white headlight. I like the look of the stock one and the Polisport mmx one but idk where to find a stock all white one and the Polisport is to small IMO. The Acerbis DHH single bulb one isn't bad but I really don't like the 2 different shades of white between the sticker and plastic. Thanks.
2004 KDX220R. I'm Canadian eh.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Kips cleaning and headlights

Post by doakley »

Can't help with the headlight but you might want to invest in the cyclepedia.com manual for the kdx series, either digital or print. It covers the KIPS valve in pretty good detail. There's a link on this website.
Scrandy

Post by Scrandy »

Alright thanks, I'l take a look.
Scrandy

Post by Scrandy »

Hey I had my first problem with the bike today. I guess I jinxed the lights haha. I just had the bike idling and I accidentaly hit the light button. The lights were on then the back one flickerd and then went out. I then tried turning the lights off then on again then the front one died lol. Maybe I shorted them out? It was raining pretty hard today. Sorry about my grammar. I'm not great in my english class.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

What year is it? The 89's did not come with a voltage regulator and if one of the bulbs burned out it would send all the voltage to the other bulb and blow that out. I've had my bike out in the heavy rain and have been through some major water crossing and I've never had a problem.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

It looks like you have a 220, so here are some pics that should help out. Once you have everything cleaned up, it is really pretty easy to time it as you are just aligning various dots, indents, marks, etc.

Timing KIPS

And if you scroll down on this page, there are some more pictures of installing the KIPS: 220 build
Scrandy

Post by Scrandy »

Thanks, that is very helpful. And the bike is a 2004. :)