How do you check a stator?

Got questions? We got answers....
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bultaco4ever »

I'm quite a novice at using an ohmmeter. What's an ohm anyways? I want to check my ignition components. How should I do it? I do own a Gardner Bender GMT 312 hand held 5 function multi meter. One setting says Ohm X1K on it.
david

Re: How do you check a stator?

Post by david »

Ohms is resistance. The higher the number, the more resistance is in the circuit being tested. Touch the meter leads together = 0.000, leads apart = infinite.

Can't help you on the test. You need the manual for that and I don't have one.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That's going to be pretty hard to test with that analog meter, but it should give you some idea. You are looking for a value between 250 - 370. You want to test between the red/white and black wires.
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bultaco4ever »

So, this multi meter has an indicator needle, an adjustment wheel, red and black test wire leads and a guage that reads infinity at one end and zero on the other end. My stator has a black, a yellow and red/white wire.

First, I touch the two test leads together and adjust the wheel to get the needle reading at zero. Then I touch one test lead to the black wire and one test lead to the red/white wire....the needle moves to 0.5....Midway between zero and 1.0 on the ohm scale.

What's that mean?

And why does my manual have a chart with 5 wires to test? Black white, black ground, redwhite, black ign coil, and black yellow?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

.5 on the x1k ohm setting should be about 500. I haven't got a service manual open, but the 5 wires will be dependent on what you want to test. Exciter coil, lighting coil, etc. The manual states which wires are for what.
david

Post by david »

The small scale is why Julien was saying it was going to be difficult with that meter. A digital meter will tell you exactly what number you are looking at, not 'about' 500. If it were me, I would run down to the store and pick up a cheap digital meter. Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, all auto parts stores will have something.

What does the manual say your range limit is?
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

For the stator coil the manual spec is 250-370 ohm.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

What year bike are we looking at? My E series manual range is higher than that, somewhere around 350-470 ohms. Mine tested right in at 380 or so, on a cheap analog meter that matches OPs description.

Fun Wheel Drive
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bultaco4ever »

Thanks for the tips...I asked a professional auto mechanic to help me and we were getting erratic readings. I turned the stator over and found the ground wire screw on the back side very loose. I tightened that up and we are in the right range. Yay! Maybe now I can get this bike to kick start. I have a '93 E series.

Do you think that ground screw needs Loctite?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Blue loctite never hurts :)