paint match

Got questions? We got answers....
redrooster200

paint match

Post by redrooster200 »

Hi All,
I searched this site with no success-I want to match the KD/KDX green as closely as possible. Has anyone found such?
Also,finding vintage oval style numberplates in a green close to KDX/KX color is impossible so far-has anyone found a source for these?

Sam in IN
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: paint match

Post by diymirage »

not sure about the paint, but as far as decals, get a hold of Steve, over at sengegraphics, i send him a section of old purple 96 KDX decal, and he printed of a great matching set for me

pics dont do it justice
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
sarrant

paint match

Post by sarrant »

DC Plastics makes vintage and post-vintage oval plates in KX Green:
https://www.dcvmx.com/xcart/product.php ... 298&page=2
Jim B

paint match

Post by Jim B »

redrooster200 wrote:Hi All,
I searched this site with no success-I want to match the KD/KDX green as closely as possible. Has anyone found such?
Check Thumper Talk in the Kawasaki two-stroke section; there have been some threads about it. (I think an early '70s AMC green and a late '60s/early '70s Ford green are the best matches. In fact, the Kawi green may be a (very close) copy of the AMC green.)

EDIT: I think it's AMC Big Bad Green.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

paint match

Post by pumpguy »

Take a look at Grabber Green engine enamel at your local auto parts store. It's pretty close.
redrooster200

paint match

Post by redrooster200 »

Thanks to all who responded. Neither my local O'Reiliy's nor Autozone have(or even knew about) Grabber Green DE1641. Go figure.... I believe that both places did in fact have it on the shelf,but since we now live in the age of;'if it ain't on the screen,it ain't there',no one bothers to physically go look/see. Wankers.
However,I have found that a combination of both Krylon Sun Yellow 51806 and Krylon R10339 Florescent Green will produce the desired shade. For the DIY'ers,the procedure is:
1) Prime surface with primer of choice
2) Apply the Sun Yellow over primer,attaining 60-80% color strength.
3) Apply Fl. Green over Yellow until shade acheived.

So, here's at least one alternative method.

Sam in Indiana
redrooster200

paint match

Post by redrooster200 »

UPDATE-3/6-

FWIW:

I obtained the allegedly non-available(according to the counter genius at O'Reilly's) DE1641 Grabber Green and when comparing it to the before mentioned mix of Krylon colors,the Grabber Green is noticeably darker-the Krylon combo is definately a closer match(for my '84 "A" model ).
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

paint match

Post by JimmyB »

I am down to the last can on my stash of old aerosol cans of PJ1 Kawasaki green 1988-1993,I believe it is Kawasaki Lime Green 617 you are looking for,if you go to Colorrite.com you can input the year,they only go back to 1989 I think for kawis and the model of your bike to get the correct color code..
If you go to Amazon they advertise there,just input kawasaki 617 "IF" this is your color,it is best to prime also in the same original primer color for best match ,eg. grey or black...

I have also had good luck at times from the local automotive paint supplier,taking a part of the item you are trying to match and they can scan it and make up the paint in aerosol cans or for spraying... They may even have the paint code(formula)for your bike in their computer.....

James...
02 KDX220