1995 kdx 200 seized due to rust

Got questions? We got answers....
Kawaman

Post by Kawaman »

I just bought a 1995 kdx 200 for 200 dollars he had a flood and it sat for two years the piston is seized in cylinder,the cylinder wont pull off the engine. I seen something about penetrating oil and vinegar was wondering what the odds are of the cylinder wall being ok. I have a 1996 kdx 200 that I bought for 300, it was a basket case (piston slap) so I was hoping when I bought this bike for cheap I could use the head any ideas or comments are welcome thanks
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1995 kdx 200 seized due to rust

Post by KDXGarage »

"wondering what the odds are of the cylinder wall being ok"

We are all guessing, so my guess is extremely little.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

More than likely the cylinder is going to need work or you will need a new one depending on if you get it off without breaking something. Have you drained the trans oil yet? If so did it have water in it?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I'm going to say there is a 50% chance that the cylinder on that bike has never been replated. If that is the case, then I wouldn't waste the time or money to put a new piston/rings in a 21 year old cylinder. Especially one that has been neglected like that.

When you do get the cylinder off and cleaned up, if you think it can be used, make sure to measure the bore so you get the right sized piston.

For a little over $200 you can get your existing cylinder plated and it will be better than anything that came on the KDX when new.

Kawaman wrote: I was hoping when I bought this bike for cheap I could use the head
Now if all you need is a head, those are easy to find on eBay, should be between $40-$60.
david

Post by david »

Probably should have spent that money on a used cylinder from eBay, if that's all you were needing. Sitting for two years after getting water in it.....it's going to be junk.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The crank and rod bearings will be shot, as well.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

all the bearings will be junk, not just the mains:

wheel bearings
swing arm
linkages
head tube

anything that sits is doomed
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Well, since you got it now, might as well tear into it and see what's what.

I assume you have a manual. If not, get one first. It's the most important tool without a doubt.

Next, get the cylinder separated from the piston and cases. I would recommend a home brew penetrating oil made from a 50/50 mix of Acetone and ATF, Type F. Published test have shown this to be much more effective than some well known brands like Kroil and PB Blaster. Be gentile and patient.

To free the piston, I would suggest removing the head, then rig up a puller type set up where the forcing screw is applying pressure to the top of the piston. Use a piece of hard wood as a cushion between the screw and piston top, and using a combination of the above penetrating oil, gentile pressure, occasional taps on the screw, and a good amount of time just might get things moving. After the Acetone evaporates, a bit of heat might help too.

When everything finally comes apart, you might find you have a lot of useful parts to either sell or use yourself.

Good luck with this, and keep us posted on how this all works out.
Kawaman

Post by Kawaman »

i got the cylinder off used penetrating oil and a block of wood tapped down on the piston it came out its not worth getting a oversized piston just going to replate my other cylinder so I don't have all that rust so all the bearings on the bike (not engine) need to be replaced?
eprovenzano

Post by eprovenzano »

If the bike was flooded and left alone... You will need to split the cases to see the damage. I would assume the worst, (replacement of all bearings) and hope it's just a crank rebuild and case bearings replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1991 KDX basket case... being rebuilt
2001 KTM EXC 380... two stroke heaven
2000 KTM EXC 300, son's
1993 Kawaski Bayou 400 4x4
2008 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Silverado
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Kawaman wrote:so all the bearings on the bike (not engine) need to be replaced?
Probably. It largely depends how far up the bike was flooded.

Swingarm and shock pivot bearings can get trashed rather quickly if they arent greased routinely, let alone being submerged and left to rust. Speaking of the swingarm, that pivot bolt may be a bear to get out now.

Once you tear into it, even if you find bearings that arent rusted, I would replace them anyway. Unless you know otherwise you would have to assume they are original and after 21 years they need to be replaced.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Can you post some pictures?

Without some pictures, it is easy to say that if it was under water for some time, then it suffered a lot of damage.

Have you changed the transmission / clutch oil?? What did it look like?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Kawaman

Post by Kawaman »

OMG rust is a bitch!! Sorry if I can't cuss just wanted to express my pain the swingarm was a pain getting the axle out of the back tire you want to talk about a bear it took me twenty minutes if not more and you can see the rust on the rod it won't even rotate it will just go front and back the bike wasn't road that hard kips was somewhat clean didn't have heavy carbon build up can't believe dude let it sit I was hoping cylinder was good mixedit and its at it last piston size so I'm going to replate my other cylinder all in all it was good buy I have a 2006 kdx 200 was just hoping to have a spare 200 my Kx 100 is to small haha I greatly appreciate the help you all are amazing hands down best motorcycle site !!