the best reed valves

Got questions? We got answers....
HillbillySnowman

the best reed valves

Post by HillbillySnowman »

Hi guys.
I've got some cash to spare and i'm thinking of purchasing a new reed block and reeds. Which ones are the best? A lot of the people here say Boyesen while my mates say Vforce. Thanks.
John
P.S: Ill be running an fmf fatty but otherwise the bike is stock.
cornishwrecker220

the best reed valves

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Eric gorr & Jeff fredette both recommend the boyesen rad valve for the H series 200/220 ...I run one on my 220 & it does what it says on the tin.. It's a proven design that works .. :supz:

Some run the V force with good results also...I guess it's just a preference thing .
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: the best reed valves

Post by Julien D »

The consensus around here has been that the vforce III is a better match for the KDX than the rad valve. Not sure how much difference. The Boyesen power reeds will give you nearly as much of an improvement at a fraction of the price.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I believe that you can't go wrong with either the Rad Valve or the V-Force, they'll both do what they claim. The advantage to eh Rad Valve is the intake boot is a separate piece and can be replaced easily.
My experience is with the Rad Valve and it certainly wakes up a 200. Feels like more power everywhere to me, but with an emphasis on the low end torque. I run a Rev pipe, which takes some of the low end grunt away from a 200, the Rad valve gives some of that back......and the Rad Valve can be had for $125, including shipping, straight from Boyesen. (here http://www.boyesen.com/overstock.php?pic=Rad_Valve ). I ordered one and it came quick, but call them. I also ordered a 2nd carb boot, but I have 2 KDXs with these, so it's worth having the extra boot laying around.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

As mentioned above it seems to be personal preference. Here are a few results from a search of the site. There are plenty more if you want to dig deeper....

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3411
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7968
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7689
HillbillySnowman

the best reed valves

Post by HillbillySnowman »

My bike is an E model. Is there any difference when I go to order between the E and H. Seeing the price between the vforce and rad valves is only $30 I may aswell get the Vforce seeing the rads are getting a pretty bad rep. Registration can always wait. :wah:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Nope, same for both. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one. It's going to be a large improvement over the stock reed cage either way.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

the best reed valves

Post by ohgood »

HillbillySnowman wrote:Hi guys.
I've got some cash to spare and i'm thinking of purchasing a new reed block and reeds. Which ones are the best? A lot of the people here say Boyesen while my mates say Vforce. Thanks.
John
P.S: Ill be running an fmf fatty but otherwise the bike is stock.
i want your stock reed box and intake if you decide to ditch them after the power valve upgrade.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Thanks for posting this question. I'm king to replace mine on my rebuild.
Are they easily identifiable? This bike had a lot of mods, so I don't know what's in there now.
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

the best reed valves

Post by Tioli »

Yes one is a realy well developed conventional system and the other are a rethink and black.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Tioli wrote:Yes one is a realy well developed conventional system and the other are a rethink and black.
... :headscratch

How do you identify them if you've never worked with reeds before?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Friedom wrote:
Tioli wrote:Yes one is a realy well developed conventional system and the other are a rethink and black.

The Boyesen has a separate carb boot and 2 two petal reeds. The V Force has a one piece carb boot and a 4 reed set up, not sure how many petals per reed and the stock set up has 2 three pedal reeds with metal stops and a one piece carb boot.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

6 Riders wrote:
Friedom wrote:

The Boyesen has a separate carb boot and 2 two petal reeds. The V Force has a one piece carb boot and a 4 reed set up, not sure how many petals per reed and the stock set up has 2 three pedal reeds with metal stops and a one piece carb boot.
Thank you. I have stock, and the boot is looking pretty rough. I'm glad to hear that it gets replaced with the reeds.
I've never heard bad about the boyesen setup, but I've heard a lot of mixed results about the rad valve.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Friedom wrote: Thank you. I have stock, and the boot is looking pretty rough. I'm glad to hear that it gets replaced with the reeds.
I've never heard bad about the boyesen setup, but I've heard a lot of mixed results about the rad valve.
Hey, I don't know that the V-Force comes with a replacement boot. I do know that the Boyesen does.