E vs H/A series chassis

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

E vs H/A series chassis

Post by SS109 »

Posted this in my Black Friday video but figured some of my knowledgeable KDX brethren might have some answers if you actually see the questions.

Ok, I'm riding a '98 KDX220 now. Even running a Scotts damper (without it the bike is almost unrideable for me) the stock KDX forks just can't do what I need them to do without a lot of work and they still won't have separate compression and rebound adjustment. I can out ride them way too easily and I have almost paid the price for it on more than one occasion. I need forks I can go from slow crawling technical terrain up to 6th gear pinned desert riding since I do both and everything in between. I have some '05 KX250f forks I will be swapping on some time in the near future. The '01-'02 RM125 rear shock, from what I have heard, will help with riding whoops and other high speed hits so I plan on this mod as well.

So, my question. Can anyone confirm that the H/A series chassis, or maybe just the swingarm, is even shorter length wise than the E series? I didn't think much of it but noticed it doesn't track as well as my old E did across whoops and seems to be way easier to cross-rut. I just put on the chain and sprockets I saved from my E series on to my 220. On my E I barely had enough chain to keep the tire from hitting the swingarm with the adjusters at 0. On the 220, even with the adjusters maxed out, the same chain was way too long. I had to take a link out and now it is adjusted perfectly at 2.5 on the snails. That tells me something in chassis changed. What exactly?

Anyway, I really love the power of this bike just not the suspension. I dare say I think I like the 220 engine better than my old E. :shock: I think once I get the suspension sorted out it will be a very capable bike in almost any terrain.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

E vs H/A series chassis

Post by ohgood »

i have both frames in the garage-

which dimensions do you want ?
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

E vs H/A series chassis

Post by osobad »

love that shock on rear. Really helps with tracking in high speed whoops. It will have to be shortened almost an inch.. Had no problems with mounting although I think someone had some minor clearance issue that had to be resolved . IMO well worth the effort. I am able to ride much faster through whoops without the rear trying to to swap places with the front.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

E vs H/A series chassis

Post by SS109 »

ohgood wrote:i have both frames in the garage-

which dimensions do you want ?
Mainly on the E I was wondering what the wheelbase was. Basically, the measurement from where each tire is centered on the ground. I still have the frame and rear from my E so I can measure that part. I have a strong suspicion the H chassis got shorter somewhere.
osobad wrote:love that shock on rear. Really helps with tracking in high speed whoops. It will have to be shortened almost an inch.. Had no problems with mounting although I think someone had some minor clearance issue that had to be resolved . IMO well worth the effort. I am able to ride much faster through whoops without the rear trying to to swap places with the front.
It's on the to-do list but the forks are first. Compared to my old E this H is just really unsettled in the rough stuff and especially so in ruts and whoops. I hope I can find a good RM shock when I start looking.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R