Woods Pipe Question

Got questions? We got answers....
chippy

Woods Pipe Question

Post by chippy »

I am currently running an FMF "Desert" pipe on my 2006 KDX200. It also has V-Force 3 reeds and the airbox has the lid removed. (jetted appropriately with 13x49 gearing) I went for a mountain ride with an old buddy awhile back and he brought his KDX220. We swapped out bikes and I must say that I preferred the bottom end power of the 220. I am thinking about swapping out my pipe for a "Desert" pipe and was wondering if the gain in bottom end power would be worth it. What can I realistically hope to gain? Cleaner running at lower RPM? Wheel lifting acceleration? Un-controllable wheel spin? It runs damn good with the current set up, but is just lacking in the off-idle department. Not the best set up for steep single track. Any input?
Thanks,
Chip
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Woods Pipe Question

Post by s10gto »

The woods pipe will help the bottom end for sure on a 200. Does your buddy have a pipe? The desert pipe is excellent on a 220. Give him a $ he can't refuse and get a woods.

Not a true comparison but a fmf woods pipe transformed my yz250 into a bottom end power woods ripping beast.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Your not going to match the 220s torque with a pipe swap. The woods pipe will help with the bottom end, not enough but some, but you'll loose a little from the top as well. The 220 just has a tractor like power delivery that a 200 can't match (w/o serious mods). The 220 will have a hard time "catching" the 200 speed wise though. 1/2 dozen of one...blah blah.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

6 Riders wrote:Your not going to match the 220s torque with a pipe swap. The woods pipe will help with the bottom end, not enough but some, but you'll loose a little from the top as well. The 220 just has a tractor like power delivery that a 200 can't match (w/o serious mods). The 220 will have a hard time "catching" the 200 speed wise though. 1/2 dozen of one...blah blah.
That's a good summary. The 220 is a real stump puller. The 200 has loads of potential to do whatever you want it to, though. The pipe will be a good start. Drop the gearing a bit, the 200 has enough grunt to pull some shorter gearing with no trouble. RB carb mods work wonders.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Woods Pipe Question

Post by s10gto »

Could also swap the top end to a 220 as its the same bottom end. Just a thought if the 200 is getting up there in hours.
Last edited by s10gto on 09:12 am Nov 26 2015, edited 1 time in total.
chippy

Woods Pipe Question

Post by chippy »

Thanks Guys for the info.
I think the woods pipe would better suit my style of riding, but I would hate to lose that upper end pull. She runs pretty darn good when the terrain opens up. The 220 did have a woods pipe on it, but that's about it for mods. That was the first 220 I have ridden and I did like the way it felt. It was hard to believe that other than the slightly bigger motor, they are exactly the same bike! It just felt different.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Trade for the woods. I bet your buddy will love the desert pipe on the 220. If fact do to the different port timing of the 220 for bottom end power the woods pipe is not recommended. Woods on a 220 takes too much topend off the 220 that lacks in that department stock.

I got the desert on my 220 and love it. Better bottom end and hold on mid to topend power.
chippy

Post by chippy »

s10gto wrote:Trade for the woods. I bet your buddy will love the desert pipe on the 220. If fact do to the different port timing of the 220 for bottom end power the woods pipe is not recommended. Woods on a 220 takes too much topend off the 220 that lacks in that department stock.

I got the desert on my 220 and love it. Better bottom end and hold on mid to topend power.
That's exactly what I was thinking !
cornishwrecker220

Woods Pipe Question

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

A "woods" pipe on a 200 combined with the boyesen rad valve will certainly help the bottom to mid range pull on your 200....you could also adjust the timing slightly which would shift the power curve slightly adding a little more down low but taking away some up top.....a head & carb mod would Finnish things off nicely.....or you could just buy a 220 ! :lol:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Or get an EG 225 kit done and get the best of both worlds.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type