Bent subframe

Got questions? We got answers....
nls2299

Bent subframe

Post by nls2299 »

Well I found another issue from the previous owner.
When I bought the bike I knew the rear fender was screwed, figured the subframe would need tweaked a little...Well I never thought it was this far out!

Ordered a new fender and when placing it and lining it up last night I realized how far off it is...wow.

I need to find a picture of a straight frame and compare it to what I'm working with I guess.
The number plate holes line up close to being perfect, same for the holes for the seat. I'm going to strip it back down tonight and take a pic of my frame.

I have zero idea how to weld, and the only heat I could apply would be a propane torch...I may be screwed?

I don't understand how it gets bent down...whenever I've looped one, they go the opposite way.
I'll throw a couple links for the pics in here.

http://1drv.ms/1NzgBAl

http://1drv.ms/1NzgAMJ
Last edited by nls2299 on 11:35 am Nov 16 2015, edited 2 times in total.
nls2299

Bent subframe

Post by nls2299 »

Well, after a few hours and a 24" pipe wrench I believe I've gotten it back to as good as it's going to get. I'm way too picky so I want to fine tune it a little, but decided to leave well enough alone.
I've still got about a half inch or so of space under the fender between where the hard plastic nipples stick down and the metal brace the bolts go through. Not sure what everyone else's bikes look like under there? I didn't want to have to push down and bend it down to fit...maybe that's what I'm supposed to do?
I also had some difficulty lining up the silencer when getting it back on, but managed to get it secured.
Would've been helpful to have another one next to me to get it just right...

http://1drv.ms/1NzgHrC
Last edited by nls2299 on 11:37 am Nov 16 2015, edited 1 time in total.
adam728
Supporting Member

Re: Bent subframe

Post by adam728 »

For some reason none of your pics work for me. But I can see thumbnails in the thread preview (Tapatalk).
nls2299

Bent subframe

Post by nls2299 »

Ok, thanks for the headsup.
Try them now...

Almost wondering if the UFO rear fender isn't off a little? Anyone else have issues?

I'll take a pic tonight of the underside.
david

Post by david »

Fender is WAY high in those first pics.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bent subframe

Post by pumpguy »

I have this fender on mine, and it went on just fine.

Do you have a manual? It has many pictures and drawings that are the next best thing to having another bike to compare to.
nls2299

Bent subframe

Post by nls2299 »

David;
In the first pics, the fender is actually not that far off if you look at the body lines of the plastics where they meet the rear fender. What you see is how badly the subframe was bent down.
Some previous owner must've went end over end?
Look at the more recent picture of the entire bike leaning on the tree.

Pumpguy, I don't have a manual yet. Honestly that wouldn't help at this point...I've got it close.

If you look in the most recent pic, the body lines are with the fender, but I'm still a bit off maybe side to side. Also, what bothers me is the gap under the fender to where I mount to the cross brace. I am in line with all holes in the fender until I get to that last cross brace.

To me that leaves one of 2 options:
1 - Bend the subframe up more
2 - Push the fender down, hold it there, bolt it in, leave it.

I'm going to post a pic of the underside. I unbolted one side so you can see how it pops back up. I know it's just a dirt bike, not going to be perfect, but my OCD gets the best of me.

http://1drv.ms/1QscXyn
david

Post by david »

Bottom of fender should be parallel with the top of the muffler. That is why I said it was high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
737diesel

Post by 737diesel »

I have the same issue, to a lesser extent. I have mounted a new factory fender and it fits fine except for those two holes on the rear frame brace. That brace is fairly pliable for up or down a little, but I need to shift that brace back about an 1/8th. I am thinking of removing the fender and cutting off the brace, then mounting the brace to the fender and putting it back on to see where it needs to go. From there I can clamp the brace in place, remove the fender, and weld it via MIG. Or just fab a new brace.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

david wrote: 05:22 pm Nov 16 2015 Fender is WAY high in those first pics.
I concur. That fender is way high, bent subframe or not. Post up some pics without the fender on and how you're mounting the fender. Something is definitely off.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R