purchasing options?? Decisions decisions

Got questions? We got answers....
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

OK, so I'm rebuilding my KDX from the ground up and am going to be buying hundreds of dollars in parts, both OEM and aftermarket (my goal is to make the bike "like new").
In researching prices, I can save a few bucks by going through any company that doesn't list parts in stock or not...OR...pay a few more dollars and go through RockyMountain, but I KNOW that the parts will ship ASAP and I will not be "left hanging" on when the seller will have parts in stock to ship. Of course with RMATV, I get buyer points as well.
I'm not in a big hurry for the parts since my frame isn't even sand blasted yet, but still.....
I'm also breaking my order up between "what I need" and "what I want".

So, do I save a few bucks or go through RMATV and get what I ordered when I expect it?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Jim B

Re: purchasing options?? Decisions decisions

Post by Jim B »

I've only used them a few times, but I've had good luck so far with Partzilla. Last time I checked, they were quite a bit less money for OEM parts vs. RMATV.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Jim B wrote:I've only used them a few times, but I've had good luck so far with Partzilla. Last time I checked, they were quite a bit less money for OEM parts vs. RMATV.
quite a few places are. But, with all my parts buying experience, RMATV is the only place that actually has stock of the parts that they say they have. I've ended up buying twice due to never ending "waiting to ship" problems with most of the others. For example, I needed a clutch cable, I like the OEM cable, so that's the route I went....3 weeks before a big family camp-n-ride. The first place I ordered from (who had it "in stock") didn't actually have the part and had to wait 3 weeks to ship it. I ended up ordering the part from RMATV AND paying for expedited shipping so I could have the bike going. I hate that and have a hard time buying parts from places that do that stuff. I had a similar thing happen when buying a throttle cable for my son's 220, from the same place of course. I don't order from that particular place anymore, no matter how good the prices are (they are a HUGE OEM parts discounter).
So, again, that brings me back to, do I pay more for parts that I KNOW are going to show up (and I get "rewards points from), or, since I'm NOT in a big hurry, buy from the cheaper parts house, knowing I have time for them to fill my order? I'd honestly save about $50 (cash).
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The two orders I've placed with Partzilla got here in about 3-5 days. Pretty much what I'd expect since they're in GA and I'm in CO.
Socks with Sandals

Post by Socks with Sandals »

What's your parts list look like?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I'm having my frame powdered so I have a ton of small parts, like the gas tank dampers that go on the frame, a few bolts, a couple of misc dampers, frame plugs, those rubber things that go over the swing arm bolt a swing arm bolt (just for shots and goggles) and a lot of bearings...rear wheel, swing arm, steering stem and shock bearings to be exact and a throttle tube (non-oem). The "wants" include new bars, bark busters a generic fit front fender, lower fork protecters and blah blah.....the "wants" list will come from somewhere else as RMATV doesn't carry everything that I need/want for this build. I like to bundle parts as much as possible, so "any" seller works for the other stuff. It's the OEM parts that I am concerned with the most. Over all HALF of my parts list comes to $229 (at RM) the other half is, well, just as much, but not all of it is MUST HAVE stuff.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

www.ronayers.com and wait 10 days or so.

If you want to pay a lot more for the piece of mind, you are able to. I don't buy OEM from RM, but I shop there first for EVERYTHING else.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

So made the order through Partzilla on the 18th...had to order some parts from RMATV as they actually had them, where most others listed them N/A.....I got this today;

Dear Timothy,

Thank you for your recent order at Partzilla.com! Your order summary is below.

Your order has been partially shipped. The backorder will ship Wednesday, July 29, 2015.

I hate that. That is the 3rd "we don't have it yet" that I got from them. But whatever I saved about $50.
Of course I ordered a Boyesen Rad valve (from Boyesen), along with a replacement carb boot for my other valve, yesterday and got my shipping notice this morning :supz: that makes me happy!
If your thinking about a Rad Valve, Boyesen has "factory seconds" (I assume returns) for $99! It's a steal!
Calibrit
Supporting Member

Post by Calibrit »

Love Rocky Mountain ATV.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Another vote for RMATV here. Their prices aren't the best, but for me, peace of mind and lack of aggravation are worth the extra $3. I know they'll get my order right, and ship it that same day. Also, being in Canada, their flat rate $75 shipping means I don't have to worry about added customs and brokerage fees, saving me money.
'00 KDX 220R
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

For what it's worth, I've been shopping for an OEM throttle cable. Found that Partzilla has it for nearly 30% less than any other place.

Submitted a price match request to RMATV and they agreed to sell it to me for the Partzilla price.

I'm not sure if they do this for large orders/items, or just small ones.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

bws2 wrote: Found that Partzilla has it for nearly 30% less than any other place.
What price?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

When it comes to linkage bearings I've had best results with OEM. Wheel bearings I went to the local bearing supply house, linkage bearings we could not seem to cross over.
The All Balls and other off-brand offerings just seemed to not last like OEM.

RMATV has been good for me, so has Bike Bandit.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

For linkage bearings, there is an upgraded version that has caged needles and seals.

I can't put my finger on that thread right now but it's here on this site, so a search should help you find it.

I remember that a common source of this bearing was McMaster Carr, although when I did mine I was able to get a slightly better price through my local bearings supplier.
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

Tedh98 wrote:
bws2 wrote: Found that Partzilla has it for nearly 30% less than any other place.
What price?
The Partzilla price was $24.46 (plus 6.95) shipping

RM price is normally $33.95 (plus 6.95) shipping.

RM matched the Partzilla price, so the total with shipping was $31.41
chippy

Post by chippy »

As stated above, RM will price match, and you still accumulate points. I have requested price matches at least five times from Rocky Mountain and they have honored the price match every time for some pretty awesome deals. They also let me use my frequent buyer credits and gift cards (Dirt Bike magazine, MXA $25 cards, etc.) with the price matches for incredible savings. Do an internet search for coupon codes, you can use them too! Rocky Mountain ships out quickly and I get my stuff in 3 days or less, even here in Montana. Impressive.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

A little follow up.....I ordered from Partzilla, simply because my OEM parts list was LONG and ordering from them saved me a hundred or so. They where SLOOOOOW to ship everything out, but because of some of the htings that I ordered (frame guards (stickers)) I'm sure that RMATV would have had me waiting as well. Partzilla shipped 3 different packages for the single order and it took 3 weeks to get everything. I hate that, but I was willing to risk it, since my frame wasn't back from powder yet. If I need it in a hurry and my local doesn't have it, RMATV is my go to place, even with higher prices. The #1 problem with RMATV is there aftermarket parts for these bikes is dwindling and I often have to find parts elsewhere, which has me ordering more (at one time) from other places and not ordering much at all from RM.

Edited to change from Revzilla to Partszilla
Last edited by 6 Riders on 01:50 pm Oct 16 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

6 Riders wrote:...I ordered from Revzilla...
Revzilla or Partzilla? (Or are they the same company?)
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Jim B wrote:
6 Riders wrote:...I ordered from Revzilla...
Revzilla or Partzilla? (Or are they the same company?)
Sorry....Partzilla...editing now