Carb Tuning

Got questions? We got answers....
ArkAngel

Carb Tuning

Post by ArkAngel »

Hi Guys /Girls.

First let me give you a bit of back round. I rebuilt my bike with a new top end and new main and pilots jets ( the tread should still be around somewhere) and new gaskets.
I just finished getting my trailer sorted and toke my bike out for its first ride on Saturday. The bike ran great and it also idled really well.

The problem i had is that i went through 2 spark plugs on Saturday and then on Sunday i decided to do the jetting guide, now this is where is gets interesting.

I warmed up my bike and then put in a new spark plug and started the jetting guide. I put my air screw to 1.5 turns out and started the bike.. It start first time. I then started turning the idle screw all the way in and then out and it didn't make a different at all, i then tried the air screw and it did the same.. i can take it all the way in or out and it does not make a difference to the way the bikes idles.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated?
Let me know if you need any other info?

Bike is a KDX 250, 1991
with a new piston and gaskets.
Float level also checked.
Running a BPR7ES spark plug, ( because cape town (South Africa) uses them
Fuel Mix is 40:1

Thanks in advance
KDX 200
KDX 250
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Carb Tuning

Post by Keystone »

The idle screw will adjust the idle. The fuel/air screw will only affect your pilot jet. Your pilot jet might be perfect. If your still fouling plugs, maybe your main jet or needle clip position is too rich. That would explain why adjusting the fuel/air screw makes no difference for you.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Carb Tuning

Post by Jaguar »

it's impossible that the slide stop screw makes no difference.
if the idle air screw makes no difference then probably its passageway is clogged up.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Also if the pilot is way to rich the air screw will have no effect. As far as the idle screw if it has no effect your cable probably has no free play.
ArkAngel

Carb Tuning

Post by ArkAngel »

Thanks all,

I will try moving the needle position 1 up so its less rich. Then ill give that a bash. Ill also just check my main jet again, but im sure i went leaner before.

Ill keep you updated.
KDX 200
KDX 250
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

If I were you this is what I would do. Make sure you don't have any air leaks. Check for correct throttle cable "play" and make sure all jets were stock or really close to stock. Then follow the guide and only change one thing at a time. It's a process and will take some time. Good luck.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Check the needle PN, see if it is stock or not, then set it on the 3rd clip (middle). Make a note of the jet sizes before starting.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ArkAngel

Post by ArkAngel »

Hi Guys,

My needle is the second from the top and i am running a 155 / 40. I was browsing around the net looking for some info to maybe check if i am near what my main and pilot should be. I came across something called Jetting guide table ( or correction table) I am not sure if i am reading it right, but it says i should be on a 144 main and 42 pilot. If anyone can assist me with reading one of the tables it might help me getting the correct jets to start over with? I live in cape town at sea level, with temps from 30C to 38C.
KDX 200
KDX 250
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Use the jetting guide.....Also before you start, put your needle on the 3rd clip.
Every bike is different and different mods, means different jetting, so the jetting guide is mandatory for us "regular" guys. If you follow the first part of the guide, you'll find out if the pilot is rich or lean pretty quick.
Now, don't be lazy!
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ArkAngel

Post by ArkAngel »

I was doing the jetting Guide but it did not work. I was trying to get it to idle faster or slower and my bike done nothing, no change. I have checked for air leaks also. I changed the position down to the 3rd one and now it managed to foul a brand new plug in 20min and its looks like the plug is burnt black and very wet.
KDX 200
KDX 250
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Well, something is not right in your carb, probably the float height or needle/needle seat. Since you have to take the carb out to check these things, double check the reeds to make sure that they are flat and have no cracks, tears or dirt and that they are assembled correctly on the reed block. NO JOKE, so many people have problems like yours, just to find out the reeds are wrong in one (or more) of those ways.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Carb Tuning

Post by royadams »

I would start with a jet block gasket just to be safe, especially since you are fighting a rich condition. In my 250 I ran a 38 155 one leaner on the slide and two leaner on the needle, a br7es plug. Boysen reeds kx head gaskets.where do you live
ArkAngel

Post by ArkAngel »

Hi Guys,
I did manage to check the reeds last night and they looked fine. They make a nice seal and don't have any cracks or tears.
@Royadams,, ill try get the gasket today and give that a try. I live in south Africa cape town. We have no real humidity but it gets HOT here.
KDX 200
KDX 250
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

If you lived in the states I would have sent you my old carb to try.