Thoughts on buying older bike

Got questions? We got answers....
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Thoughts on buying older bike

Post by JFortner5 »

I'm in the market for a new to me dirt bike and I believe the KDX is the perfect bike for me. I had one about 12 years ago as my first bike.

I came across a 96 model (barney edition) for sale for $1350obo. The guy says he's owned it for over 10 years, and other than a little wear on the frame paint it appears pretty clean. I think his price may be a little high, other than that would you have any reservations about buying a 19 year old bike?

It has an aftermarket pipe and silencer, but comes with the originals and a few extra parts too.

I've never felt a KDX at its full potential. My first one I believe had power valve issues. It ran good in the low rpm, but would not rev out.

I had an XR400 more recently, loved the power but hated the weight.

Thanks guys,
Joey
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Thoughts on buying older bike

Post by Julien D »

So when you're looking at any H series KDX the condition is more important than the year. There were practically no changes to the bike throughout it's year models, so a well kept 96 would be a better buy than an abused 2006 model. I would have no reservations about a 96 as long as it is well kept, and it sounds like that is the case here.
KDXBADASS

Post by KDXBADASS »

I just bought a 96 KDX200 for $1200. Had new Delta Force Reed block New FMF pipe and Silencer. Aside from needing a front number plate this thing rocks!!! Took it to Mojave Desert and rode for 2 days. An amazing bike. Go for it dude!!!
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

Thanks guys. I was pretty sure there weren't any changes from 95-06 and I was kind of thinking about the condition too. Hopefully it will look as nice in person as it does in the pics.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yes, condition over year.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

Well good news, the seller is going to hold the bike until the weekend so I at least get the first shot at it.

While I'm here I figured I'd ask what should the bike feel like power wise? Like I said I had a 96 years ago but it was the first bike I ever had, and the first I'd ever ridden. It ran good in low rpm, but it would never get on the pipe. It seemed like when it should have and start pulling it just kind of sounded flat and didn't want to rev up.

The best way I can explain it is it felt like my XR400. The XR had great torque but when it revved up it was making more noise than power.

I'm not expecting it to come on the pipe like a 125 but mine had zero hit and I was wondering if that's normal?

I'm so pumped up right now. My son is 5 and got his bike for Christmas. My father-in-law got it for him (with our blessing) but I think I was more excited than him. I can't wait for the moment that I load both bikes up and we go for our first ride together.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

As you already eluded, it won't hit like a 125 or any MX bike for that matter, but you don't really want it to given it's intended use is for trails. That said, you can certainly keep it on the pipe and make thing interesting. I've had no trouble making my son's 200 run with any modern bike on the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

Right I don't really need or want that. I used to have a 250EXC and for me it was a handful.

Should I expect to feel any kind of hit at all though?
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

JFortner5 wrote: Should I expect to feel any kind of hit at all though?
There will be some hit. It's not heart stopping or anything....If it has a stock pipe, you'll feel very little, if it a well modded bike, with pipe, reeds and good jetting, it's gonna run away at about 6500-8000 rpm. Being that they are so mild in nature, when you get there (higher rpms) it might surprise you a little bit (that means "take off"). Still not like a 125...way more torquee than that.
I actually think that my (well set up) 200 hits longer (keeps getting faster?) and smoother than a 125 and it most certainly feels a hell of a lot faster.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

Thanks that helps out a lot. I wasn't sure because like I said mine never did. At the time I didn't know any different.

If this all works out I'm sure I'll be hanging around here quite a bit.

Joey
Joey

2003 KDX 220R