advice on studding tires

Got questions? We got answers....
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

advice on studding tires

Post by newbbewb »

Who here can offer some advice on studs? I can get deals on any of these...

http://www.brunowessel.com/catalog/inde ... tegoryid=2

Not sure which ones I want. I don't race, I'm not on solid ice. I am however riding on greasy a$$ mud, not super deep but really slippery, and wet logs/rocks, and frozenish mud.

I've purchased the gun already, but I want to make a smart purchase on the actual studs, mainly because of my time to install them. Can anybody help me out?
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

advice on studding tires

Post by pumpguy »

No experience here, but to use those studs, wouldn't your tires have to be designed specifically for studs? I mean already have the holes to accept the studs. I've never seen any motorcycle tires configured this way, only car tires. Those look like automotive studs to me.

Ice racers use sheet metal screws in the tires. I understand Jeff Fredette sells special screws just for ice racers. Check out his website at Fredette Racing Products.
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

advice on studding tires

Post by kdxquebec »

newbbewb wrote:Who here can offer some advice on studs? I can get deals on any of these...

http://www.brunowessel.com/catalog/inde ... tegoryid=2

Not sure which ones I want. I don't race, I'm not on solid ice. I am however riding on greasy a$$ mud, not super deep but really slippery, and wet logs/rocks, and frozenish mud.

I've purchased the gun already, but I want to make a smart purchase on the actual studs, mainly because of my time to install them. Can anybody help me out?
The studs in your link are used by professional tire studders for winter trail riding. Most of the time they use MITAS tires since trelleborg is discontinued. Not an easy job. They use glue in the process.

Here is an example. They use the studs in your link. Be prepared ...$$$ :supz: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trelleborg-Mita ... 1e927cf67a

I use carbide studded tires like this for winter. My front tire is 8 years old and no sign of wear yet. On the rear I use gripstuds , They are pricey (1$ each X250 studs) buy you can screw them on any tire and they don't wear even on rocks or pavement.

http://www.gripstuds.com/
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
hockeyboysomers

advice on studding tires

Post by hockeyboysomers »

I have bought studs from Bruno Wessel. If You are riding mostly on frozen ground and some snow and ice you should probably run the short to mid size studs. If the studs are too long on frozen ground they will rip out. If you are riding on mostly snow you can run longer studs. The tire is pre drilled with a indexed drill bit. The depth of the hole is as deep as the hour glass shaped portion of the stud. Only the tapered cone shaped portion sticks out past the rubber tred. The tire choice can make a big difference in tire longevity. Snow tire compound is very soft. If you choose a tire with a hard rubber compound in the cold the rubber becomes stiff and the stud often rips out. Try to install them with a warm tire in a heated garage. In the cold the rubber contracts and make installation difficult.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: advice on studding tires

Post by newbbewb »

pumpguy: I can drill any pattern I want on any tire and use any length stud.

kdxquebec, aka david hasselhof: Thanks for the great info. what kind of glue are they using? My buddy has grip studs. I'm not $hitting on them, they do last a long time, but they weigh over double and cost over double, plus I already have a stud gun. I'm gonna try my luck with bruno-wessel for now.

hockeyboysomers: I'll be using kenda washougals, cutting tread blocks, and now it sounds like I should be gluing them in.

Thanks for great info everyone. I tried cold cutters and saw the way and the light, except they spit out and wear out fast. just looking for a more opinions, since most people around here never try them.
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

i use kold kutters, but with a dab of black RTV on the tip to help them stay seated better
also, i run them in under a 20-30 degree angle for abour 1/4 of the screw
then i push them straight and that helps keep them in longer
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

newbbewb wrote:pumpguy: I can drill any pattern I want on any tire and use any length stud.

kdxquebec, aka david hasselhof: Thanks for the great info. what kind of glue are they using? My buddy has grip studs. I'm not $hitting on them, they do last a long time, but they weigh over double and cost over double,.
for the weigh, in fact the gripstuds is lighter. For the glue they use loctite 480.

Frst pic is a ''wessel'' stud and second pic is a 1800R gripstud (took the pictures this morning :mrgreen: )

pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

advice on studding tires

Post by pumpguy »

Thanks for this info. I had no idea. Man, the stuff you learn here.
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

advice on studding tires

Post by kdxquebec »

Yep lot of cool stuff here, even learned English here! :grin:

Newbb is it what you looking for?

[youtube][/youtube]
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

Lol. That's a great video. Thanks!
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
ICRage42
Supporting Member

advice on studding tires

Post by ICRage42 »

kdxquebec wrote:Yep lot of cool stuff here, even learned English here! :grin:

Newbb is it what you looking for?

[youtube][/youtube]
I watched the endurocross at everette wa one and I am still in stitches over some of his narration

"we avoided looking like middle aged wannabe riders by riding like 90 yr old hasbeens"

that's some funny **** there :lol:
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

kdxquebec: thanks for calling me out on the weight. I made a mathematical error. Which model BW stud is pictured on the scale?

I have to go the bruno wessel way and get the studs. I'd love to have the grip$tud$, but I have tooling for the BW studs as well as two bikes to maintain/overhaul. It makes more economical sense, which isn't the fun way, but whateva, I'll have STUDS ON MY DIRTBIKE! yes!

I'm trying to figure out two things still. On the Bruno-wessel website, http://www.brunowessel.com/catalog/inde ... tegoryid=2
there are the 18 and 25 sizes listed as MCH under the part #. whats the difference between the others, listed as MC?

Also, how far do the stud bases go into the rubber? do I drill the hole the same for all sizes? I have looked high and low for an install PDF or instructions and am coming up dry.
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com