Waterpump seal

Got questions? We got answers....
Bitteeinit

Waterpump seal

Post by Bitteeinit »

Long story short, the oil came out pretty milky looking on my latest oil change. Having seen a few previous threads on the subject, I'm pretty sure it's the waterpump seal. Can anyone tell me what the part # is? I'm trying to figure out where it is but having a bit of trouble. I have a Winderosa seal kit lying around so I should have a seal somewhere. If someone can show me which it is here, I'd appreciate it:
http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oempa ... 0-e4-parts

These are the ones I have (packaging got wet and disintegrated). Can anyone tell straight off which one the waterpump seal is? Just trying to figure out if I have it before attempting the job.

I also found this one lying around:

Lastly:
1-I read elsewhere that one should do several oil changes afterwards to clear out all the water? Is this necessary? How many should I do? Just keep at it until it's a nice oily colour? Should I start the bike and ride it for 2-3 minutes to shift through the gears before changing it?
2-I suppose I should also check/top up my radiator if necessary?
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Waterpump seal

Post by kx200 »

that last photo is it
make sure you install it the right direction
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Waterpump seal

Post by 6 Riders »

The 2nd one from the top, on the right is the secondary seal. You'll also use that is your bike is a 91 or newer.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Great. Thanks guys. So just to be clear, the second picture plus this one 6 Riders?

Is it a quick/simple job?
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Waterpump seal

Post by Gotanubike »

I spy a counter-shaft seal in the top left( with brass outer ring)

And shift lever seal, smaller one on the right with the brass outer ring
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Bitteeinit wrote:Great. Thanks guys. So just to be clear, the second picture plus this one 6 Riders?

Is it a quick/simple job?
Yup, that's it. Also, just a side note, I found that replacing the clutch rod seal is a good idea....since you have one.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

...and which one is that? Haha... I wish they would have come with part numbers or a diagram of some sort.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Bitteeinit wrote:...and which one is that? Haha... I wish they would have come with part numbers or a diagram of some sort.
For some reason I think it's the one inside the big one w/the metal on it. When you take the right side of the bike apart, look at the seal that is in the clutch pusher....you should be able to figure it out.

As far as "how easy the water pump seals are to change"......The first time it will take some time. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th time it gets easier. I went through 3 sets of OEM seals and a whole new water pump assembly before I found that Winderosa kit.....Great buy and haven't had a problem since, but I also think I was sucking water through the clutch pusher seal as mine was COMPLETELY toasted.

Also, go ahead and buy another seal kit to have lying around, just in case, there cheap..why not.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Out of curiosity: what can happen (best-worst case) if I change the oil again and ride the bike for a few more hours? Would water from the radiator leak in and could it cause an overheated/seized piston (wouldn't the oil in the gas take care of that)? I ask because I rode the bike a few hours (as do most others with this problem it seems) before realizing that there was a problem. I also need to get it to the shop and my options are either: ride there (takes a few hours) or load it up on a truck and have it delivered there ($$). I know it's not ideal but wondering if the consequences are huge or if it takes time to create bigger problems (mess up the clutch/overheat the piston)? Or can I top up the radiator, change the oil and ride for another 3 hours or so before the change? I know the "good" answer of course, but I'm wondering if it's one of those problems that can withstand a bit more riding.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

IF you change the oil, you should be fine. The oil/water mix is in the transmission, not the bottom end which is in fact lubed by the 2T oil. BUT, I'd change, or have changed, the trans fluid before riding home. Fill the rad with water instead of anti-freeze, no reason to dump money into anti-freeze thats just going to "lube" the transmission.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Thanks 6 Riders. So where is that water coming from then? Is it from riding in water/puddles? Or is it water from the radiator water in the bottom end which is seeping into the transmission?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Bitteeinit wrote:Thanks 6 Riders. So where is that water coming from then? Is it from riding in water/puddles? Or is it water from the radiator water in the bottom end which is seeping into the transmission?
My experience is this;
If the water pump seal fails, you get water from the radiator into the Trans fluid.....That's where those seals come in. But I've also got water from the clutch pusher into the trans, that is from riding through puddles, deep or not, and having water run through that other seal that I was telling you to change. It happens both ways and since you have the whole kit, make it easy on yourself and change them all.

Since I've put the Windarosa kit in my 93, I haven't had a "water into oil" problem. Been a bit over a year. I've been told about the water pump seals going, and going fast, but I really think the clutch pusher seal is the biggest culprit. I just don't hear about W.P. seals going bad in dry conditions like I do in the wet.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Again, big thanks! [emoji106]
I'm going to change ithe oil again to see what colour it is, go for one last ride and then change both those seals.