1997 KDX200 - Stopped Shifting

Got questions? We got answers....
Shadowdev
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

1997 KDX200 - Stopped Shifting

Post by Shadowdev »

Hi Everyone,
An update and closure on this problem. The KIPS governor pin was replaced & bike put back together. The bike runs & Shifts great as always. I was concerned about the shifting but it's just fine. Changed the transmission fluid a couple of times and it's smooth. I've included a couple of videos of the assembly for whomever can benefit.

Again, my sincere Thanks and Appreciation to KDXRIDER.NET & all who helped.
SD

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 1997 KDX200 - Stopped Shifting

Post by Tedh98 »

Thanks for following up. So many threads are left hanging when the OP never gives an update.

Good videos. Something awfully familiar about the first part of the clutch install video. :razz:

Why did you go with RTV instead of gaskets on the various covers?
Shadowdev
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Shadowdev »

Thanks Ted...
Yeah the clutch vid was very helpful and I figured to simply reiterate it...

I actually have new gaskets but decided to not use them at the moment and just get the bike running again to determine if the transmission was actually needing repair at which point I was going to need to take the engine apart anyway. The RTV when used correctly does great.

Bike has been running strong, no leaks, shifts great and so this winter it may get a rebuild anyway, we'll see.

Thanks again Ted, you were a real help.
SD
KDXcruisin

Post by KDXcruisin »

Hey guys, I've been having a similar issue. My shift lever is just turning through the gears and not grabbing anything. I got stuck in 4th and can't get out. I'm planning to follow most of the trouble shooting Steps that SD went through. My question is if this is a doable project for someone with limited mechanical experience. I have adjusted the valves on my KLR 250 and that is the extent of my experience inside of an engine. This bike is new to me. I have a service manual, and these videos seem helpful, I'm just worried about biting off more than I can chew.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Totally doable with nothing but a few metric wrenches. Post up if you need help.
KDXcruisin

Post by KDXcruisin »

Well it turns out the shifter was just loose on the shaft. No opening of the engine required. I had a friend put a spot weld to hold it in place and it seems to have worked out well.