Front brake issues

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXWonder

Front brake issues

Post by KDXWonder »

Why does my front brake pad keep falling out? The spring is installed and the pads are worn but when I apply the brakes, the smaller pad falls out of the caliper. Is the offset on the wheel wrong? The bike is a 91' KDX 200.
Brick_Top

Re: Front brake issues

Post by Brick_Top »

That should definitely NOT be happening! Any pics of the caliper/pad? Something very wrong there.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

pics would help. Sounds like either your hanger rod is broken or backed off (it's a bolt that goes through the bottom of the pad) or the pad ear on the bottom is broken off.
KDXWonder

Post by KDXWonder »

I will get some pics on here tomorrow. Other than the pads being worn, all is intact with the pads. According to the service manual there isn't a bolt that goes thru the pad. I should have the parts when I get home tonight to rebuild the caliper and new pads are on the way.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

My bad, I was remembering how the front was on my dad's E-series, then it dawned on me that his is a 93 and they changed the front brake that year for the USD fork. There should be a little locating spring assembly there, make sure it has all the proper ears and bends andis installed correctly.
KDXWonder

Post by KDXWonder »

Having a hard time loading pics...
KDXWonder

Post by KDXWonder »

Does anyone know what keeps the smaller brake bad in place? Is it the spring? Rebuilt the caliper and the pad still feel out. According to the OEM drawing, everything is there. I just received new pads from eBay, toning to install them tomorrow. I really think that the front wheel might be from a 93'. Would that make that much of a difference? Much help needed. Still trying to upload some pics.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

There is a "pin" that screws though the brake pad along with 2(?) small springs.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXWonder

Post by KDXWonder »

For a 91'? The OEM print does not show a pin screwing thru the pad nor does the pad have a hole in it to allow a pin to go thru. Thanks!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I thought it was the little spring assembly that helped keep it in place. May be why they went to a pin arrangement on later model brakes. Even if you have a later wheel, if the disc aligns with the caliper that shouldn't be a problem. From the diagram it looks like the outer (small) pad rides in the cutout in the caliper mount, held by the spring. As the piston presses against the outer pad it pulls the caliper out, effectively trapping that outer pad in the caliper mount. Ensure you have the piston cap on between the piston and the outer pad. Throw up some pics and maybe some of the early E guys will chime in.
KDXWonder

Post by KDXWonder »

Figured it out after a lot of research. The front wheel ended up being a 93 and my bike is a 91. Believe it or not there is a difference. Figured this out by looking at the hubs. They are totally different along with the rotor bolt pattern. I scooped up a 91 off eBay and all is good. Thanks for the help...
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

93-94 are USD forks also have the KX brakes (I think) or are at least different than 89-92
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

newbbewb wrote:93-94 are USD forks also have the KX brakes (I think) or are at least different than 89-92
93-94 wheels are the same as 95-06 KDX wheels. The brakes....one offs as far as I can tell, they don't fit anything.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

did not know that, thanks! hubs also? my 93-94 kdx is the same as 89 kx125, as far as the calipers and rotor size are concerned, front and back.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

newbbewb wrote:did not know that, thanks! hubs also? my 93-94 kdx is the same as 89 kx125, as far as the calipers and rotor size are concerned, front and back.
I swap wheels from my 93 to 95 periodically. They seem to be an exact match. I haven't had any problems at all with doing this. The brakes are different, I'm pretty sure the 95+ KDXs use the same brakes as modern KXs (96+ ) or something like that. The older KDX front wheels do not swap due to the brake calipers. My brother in law has 01 KDX front end and uses his stock wheel on them (1990). I'm pretty sure that the only problem would be in using the older KDX brake calipers. Rear wheels I'm sure are all the same between the E & H series bikes.