spring noise

Got questions? We got answers....
sasrocks
Supporting Member

spring noise

Post by sasrocks »

with new bushing, 'oil' and springs, on the bike my forks make a real loud springy sound when compressing them. Louder than any bike I have ever had.... any ideas why? These are race tech .44s

any chance they forgot the oil???? was done by a certified Race teh service center here in town.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They turned the caps down instead of the tubes onto the caps. Time to take the caps off... then hold the bottoms still and the cap...turn the top tube onto the caps. The noise should go away... :boogie:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
sasrocks
Supporting Member

Post by sasrocks »

I don't quite follow your diangnosis / advice - will it be evident when I remove the end cap what the situation is?
sasrocks
Supporting Member

Post by sasrocks »

upon reflection I think I got it. The remedy (turning the tubes onto the caps) does not require removal fromthe bike, correct?

in any event, the current state is not detremental to equipment or operator, I take it?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You have spring bind... It's not good on the springs or intertubes.

You don't HAVE to remove the frontend but it's just as easy since you have to completely loosen the clamps top and bottom to do it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
sasrocks
Supporting Member

Post by sasrocks »

thanks man. I think I'll just have them fix it
Last edited by sasrocks on 12:08 pm Oct 15 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Maybe a little clarification is in order.... When reassembling the forks... the top tubes are the only thing that you turn to assemble. Does that help??? :grin:

Also... there should be clips on the bottoms of those springs too... if they forgot them or they fell off the old springs when changing them out, you could get slipping...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

You might want to open things up just for peace of mind. Like Inda say, if the clips are missing from the bottom of the springs your gonna have some long term damage there.
sasrocks
Supporting Member

Post by sasrocks »

what are these clips you speak of? I did not see them in the service manual
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Part # 44029-1152

The buykawasaki site doesn't show them either... but it lists them with a part number. Believe me...they are there! Ask Mark W.

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

sasrocks
Supporting Member

Post by sasrocks »

thanks!!!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

As a spring compresses (shock or fork), it tends to twist. Also, since the '95 and up KDX's do not have a spring guide, that may lead to some of the clicking or rubbing problems that you '95 and up guys sometimes mention. I don't know why the '95 and up forks do not have a guide, but they don't. It seems pretty helpful on the USD forks I have worked on.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

I am having the same problem. I had my shop install .42kg Race Tech springs and set at 10mm of preload. They opted to cut down the stock spacer(90mm) instead of using the tube Race Tech provided. I have now dissambled twice, checked the oil level (100mm), put the spring retainer clip on the bottom of the spring, spacer guide, spacer, spacer guide and spun the fork onto the cap while holding in place. I think I am going crazy! If I cut the race tech tube down to 90mm, reinstall the stock springs and it no longer makes the noise I am going nuts!!!!!!!! I need the heavier springs!
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Are you holding the bottoms while turning the top tubes?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

kdennan

Post by kdennan »

No. I am spinning the whole thing.
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Okay. I tried again while holding the bottoms and it is still doing it.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Then I would say that your spring stays are somehow catching on the tubes. I don't know what could be causing it....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

kdennan

Post by kdennan »

I really screwed up. I paid the dealer $100 bucks and I could have done it myself.
My wife is taking a fit over it and she is'nt even aware that I am having this trouble.
I would send them out to a suspension shop but then I am looking at more $$.
On a side note: Indawoods; I saw a pic you posted "Mmmm Beer" I am going to register my bike here in VT. (if I can ever fix the forks) What is that you are using for a number plate, stick down from your rear fender? I don't want to use one of those rigs that has a taillight built in because I am leaving my stock rear fender on w/ light. I am going to throw the stock springs in and see what happens.....
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

Didn't you say the stock spacers were cut for the new springs. You can't put the stock springs back in unless you either make your own spacers or buy OEM.

Maybe the spacers weren't cut square and the spacer is forcing the spring against the inside of the tube. You should disassemble everything and have a look.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... make your own out of Sched C PVC.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****