Best Transmission Oil to use in KDX200?

Got questions? We got answers....
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Best Transmission Oil to use in KDX200?

Post by C George »

Braap0!0 wrote:Rotella 15w40 .. I change it so often no matter what type I run, it doesn't have time to break down past the point of harm. I've always ran it and have had zero issues with smooth shifts. I've worried high and low about what I should run, but trial and error says..just make sure there is oil in it! :lol: ,, hey,, my first post..nice! :butthead:

I can relate to worrying , just make sure it's full of oil ! Oil is so much of a personal preference and could be debated
from every angle. I lean towards a motor oil for trail riding . ATF was discovered by low displacement MX bikes that
wanted minimal HP loss thru the transmission. Just my opinion :grin: :grin: after years of worrying , ha ha
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
Rooster

Re: Best Transmission Oil to use in KDX200?

Post by Rooster »

Glad I found this thread. Thanks for the info, guys. I never had a 2 stroke before, and I got my KDX a few weeks ago. Although I haven't had much time to ride it, I have managed to squeeze in a 1 hour hare scramble, and a couple quick rides from the house. The PO said he was using a 15w40, and I was thinking about switching to an ATF before I do a 90 mile enduro on Sunday. Hopefully I'll get a chance to change the oil, and try it tomorrow afternoon.
KCCO
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Not just to confuse things as it's just MY personal preference ,, is a 10w60 motor oil.
Same 10 weight cold flow as recomended in manual but has much better viscosity when up to temperature.

IF you prefer a smoother vs. notchy shifting tranny , then this will work for you.

Total or Liqui-moly can be found at a decent price " yes, it's a synthetic " and oem in KTM bikes.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
Pinned

Post by Pinned »

When discussing oil, the answer is always "Rotella"

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Pinned wrote:When discussing oil, the answer is always "Rotella"

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
For the money ,,, Rotella 15w40 is hard to beat :)

I personnally run a synthetic 5w40 in all our cars ,,, just happens to be something besides the Shell label
jaunt

Post by jaunt »

I just wanted to throw my $0.02 in, I recently switched to ATF type F from 10w40 four stroke oil and the trans feels much much better, way easier to get into neutral now.