How to remove front wheel bearings - odometer drive

Got questions? We got answers....
Clo-z-nuff

Post by Clo-z-nuff »

Howdy, what's the trick to getting the odometer drive out so I can get the bearing out?

Thanks!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: How to remove front wheel bearings - odometer drive

Post by bufftester »

No trick, it should just pull right off the hub as its just a splined gear arrangement. If it hasn't been off, or you ride a lot of wet stuff you may have to coax it gently with a rubber mallet. Normally as soon as you pull the axle out the gear housing just drops off.
Clo-z-nuff

Post by Clo-z-nuff »

Thanks Bufftester. I have the wheel off and the odometer drive housing (part cable is attached to) is off. I'm lost as to how to get the cogged spacer that drives the odometer out. It appears to be pressed in on top of the bearing. Does it pop out when you drive out the bearing?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

What year/model? The front hub should look like this http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-p ... /FRONT-HUB 41060 is the toothed cog that drives the cable. It should be held into the housing by a washer and circlip. If the circlip is gone then likely its just being held to the bearing by corrosion. Try hitting it with some wd40. When you reassemble it (with all the right bits) be sure to generously grease it with some disc brake compatible wheel grease, and regrease routinely.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

The part that drives the odo is part of the hub. There should be a clip that holds the bearing in. You have to take seal out first.
Clo-z-nuff

Post by Clo-z-nuff »

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm gonna have to take another look tonight. I have the shop manual and the same pic as above is in the manual but it looked like the odo side wheel bearing was "trapped" by the odo drive lug spacer (male cogged part that drives #41060). Look at the diagram, there is not an internal retaining ring for the wheel bearing on the odo side. The retaining ring in the drawing is an external ring for the odo pinion that drives the odo worm. I'm sure I'm missing something. Like I said, I'll have to take another look tonight. Sorry in advance because I'm sure I'll look at it again and say "Duh, you idiot".
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I'm just going from memory as well since I removed my stock Odo years ago, and now am running a hybrid with a KX front end (using an aftermarket digital odo). Once you get it all cleaned up it should be pretty easy to figure out.
Clo-z-nuff

Post by Clo-z-nuff »

Yup, like Royadams said, the odo drive cogs are part of the hub. Sure looked like a separate peice though. Thanks for all the help!