Best clutch cable and perch?

Got questions? We got answers....
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I've seen a couple searching around... didn't know what you guys thought was the best one. The cable on my bike now works just fine... but is the original one that came one the bike and the clutch pull is a little stiff, wanted to loosen it up a bit. I lubed my cable and was hoping for more... so my main concern is a cable that will allow soft clutch pull. I didn't know if they made any cables that maybe had like silicone coated cable or something like that ( :rock: ). This is what I was gonna get: https://www.denniskirk.com/motion-pro/t ... 199745.sku

I figured that while I was at it, if there is a certain perch or perch/lever set-up that will ease things up a bit too, I would get that too. Any suggestions? I just have the factory perch on it now (can't tighten it down enough) with a replacement lever.

The clutch has just been too damn stiff on that bike... the reason I stop riding most of the time is because my left forearm gets so fatigued that I can't hold on to the bars. I figure I'll try all this stuff and maybe try running ATF in the case to ease up the pull. If that doesn't remedy it enough for me... I'm just gonna say fawk it and get a Magura jack hydraulic set-up come spring time :supz:

P.S. as a side note... where do you guys order most of your parts from? I've always used Dennis Kirk and Chaparral... is there anyone better/faster/cheaper?

Thanks much!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The Motion Pro Terminator clutch cable is the best hands down. There are all sorts of good clutch lever/perch combos that work very well. I went with the MSR AOI lever/perch setup as it has a butter smooth pull, has an easy to you adjuster even with gloves on, and was only about $30. BTW, check your clutch basket for notching as that will make the pull harder the worse it gets.

To buy my parts I normally buy from Rocky Mountain ATV or Motorcycle superstore. Both tend to be cheaper that Dennis Kirk or Chaparral and just as fast.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Best clutch cable and perch?

Post by Tyl3r »

Alright, well thanks a bunch man, I appreciate the input. I'm probably gonna end up ordering that cable and perch.

As for the basket, I've done some reading about that on here. Whenever the weather actually gets bad enough that I know I won't be riding for a week or so, I'd like to get her opened up. I'll clean up the basket's edges and put new clutch plates/springs in there all at one time.

What do you think about running ATF in my case... will this help with clutch pull a little? I was thinking of trying some on the next oil change.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Do a search for "ATF" and see what you find.

I don't think that ATF will change the clutch pull any.

I have a original clutch cable and a cheap MSR clutch perch lever assembly on mine and the pull is pretty easy. The clutch lever came with the perch, lever, and a brake lever for about $20 so I would assume it is not the same as SS109's.
kashola
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by kashola »

Anyone tried the RSC perch/lever? Looks like a quality piece.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

Try cutting the clutch decom lever arm into half and weld an extention of a 10mm metal picece in between to increase the overall length for greater leverage hence a lesser effort to pull in the clutch.

This is an old trick. I used stainless steel about 1.5mm thick, argon welding. you will have to pull out the clutch decom lever to do this. I used to have the same problem, but after the mod. lesser strength to pull the clutch. works better and a lot cheaper to buy after market clutch unit which dont really see a great change.
A true KDX customizer!!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

kashola wrote:Anyone tried the RSC perch/lever? Looks like a quality piece.
Are you referring to the Righteous Stunt Metal lever/perch? If so, why spend that much when you can get a decent clutch lever/perch setup that will work just as well for a 1/3 of the price? I mean, if you just want it for the cool factor or whatever, fine but it isn't anything that special for the price IMO.
KDXsg wrote:Try cutting the clutch decom lever arm into half and weld an extention of a 10mm metal picece in between to increase the overall length for greater leverage hence a lesser effort to pull in the clutch.

This is an old trick. I used stainless steel about 1.5mm thick, argon welding. you will have to pull out the clutch decom lever to do this. I used to have the same problem, but after the mod. lesser strength to pull the clutch. works better and a lot cheaper to buy after market clutch unit which dont really see a great change.
True. If you have access to a welder, or someone to do the welding for you, it will work. However, it is much easier to just buy a quality clutch cable and a decent lever/perch setup and be done with it.
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

if it really matters. y not do both way. extend the clutch decom lever arm and buy a good clutch lever unit. you will definiely get a super soft clutch action. :supz:
A true KDX customizer!!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If you make the clutch arm longer you will need to have more pull from the lever to get the same travel for clutch disengagement.
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

Msr pro raptor three position clutch perch and lever :supz:
Did I say riding?
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

rbates9 wrote:If you make the clutch arm longer you will need to have more pull from the lever to get the same travel for clutch disengagement.
Personally I didnt noticed any different there. Just simply lesser effort to pull in the clutch. Sometime I dont think too much. Been using that trick for years on different bikes too such as my WR450F and 250F.
A true KDX customizer!!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I ended up getting the MSR AOF perch. I went to a local bike shop on Saturday to just get a triangle stand... I ended up leaving with some Pro-Taper CR-Lo bars and half waffle grips, MSR bark busters, and the AOF clutch perch.

Love the new perch, the adjuster on it is pretty slick. The lever was a bit long and has to ride below the bark buster a little bit or else it will hit ( it's in the position I want it to be, just would be nicer if it was protected more behind the bark buster. Tried to use my old lever in the perch and it was too thick to fit into the new perch). But since it was longer, I moved the perch in towards the center of the bars more... this allows a lil more slack in my clutch cable. With this little extra length in cable, longer lever, smooth perch, and recently oiled cable, the clutch pull is a lot more tolerable.

I think I may just out a new cable on it and be done with it. I think I'm happy now lol. Here's how she looks with the new stuff:

Little side story lol... after I got all the stuff on, i took it out for a ride. I was out for about 20 minutes and launched her up a hill climb. The bike came down and landed on the bars. I picked it up and the bars were wayyy outta wack... i was pissssssssed. I just couldn't have a straight set of bars for more than 20 minutes!? REALLY!? Got it home, started looking at it a bit, found that I just tweaked the risers a little bit. Loosened the risers and the bars, tightened it all back up, straight as an arrow! I'm happy with those bars! That was a pretty hard hit for 7/8" bars not to bend!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Tyl3r wrote:Little side story lol... after I got all the stuff on, i took it out for a ride. I was out for about 20 minutes and launched her up a hill climb. The bike came down and landed on the bars. I picked it up and the bars were wayyy outta wack... i was pissssssssed. I just couldn't have a straight set of bars for more than 20 minutes!? REALLY!? Got it home, started looking at it a bit, found that I just tweaked the risers a little bit. Loosened the risers and the bars, tightened it all back up, straight as an arrow! I'm happy with those bars! That was a pretty hard hit for 7/8" bars not to bend!
Yeah, I have never seen the need for the 1 1/8" bars. I haven't bent not one of the newer 7/8" bars since I added all metal bark busters and my bikes do take some serious hits. Anyways, glad you got the clutch pull sorted out.
'11 GasGas EC250R
kashola
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by kashola »

Are you referring to the Righteous Stunt Metal lever/perch? If so, why spend that much when you can get a decent clutch lever/perch setup that will work just as well for a 1/3 of the price? I mean, if you just want it for the cool factor or whatever, fine but it isn't anything that special for the price IMO.

That's the one I was talking about. Have read where some guys had longevity/durability issues with the Pro Raptor and it's cousin. That's why I wondered if anyone has tried this one. To see if it really is "all that". Does have a lifetime warranty, which I thought was awesome. Side note: I've never had anything other than stock on my KDX, so the Raptor may be all I'd need.