Buying a KDX... one piece at a time

Got questions? We got answers....
Thedude1973
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Buying a KDX... one piece at a time

Post by Thedude1973 »

JoKDX220r wrote:Have you think about building an hybrid instead ?
Yes, I've definitely thought about a hybrid. But honestly, that's probably too ambitious for me. I don't know how to weld, not to mention everything else that comes with that kind of project.
Dude...
FORCON8541
Supporting Member

Post by FORCON8541 »

WIth that much responsibility at home I can only try to imagine what its like. You cant be selfish, especially when you have a family, and go out and drop 5-10K on a bike. I just dont want to hear that you spent 3K on a 1500 bike when its all said and done.

I didnt read all the posts and dont know how far along you are on your project but Id put little chunks of coin aside, even in a savings account, and let it slowly ad up. Then see what you can do

Regards, FORCON
S/F or Best Regards,
FORCON8541
Thedude1973
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Thedude1973 »

So, there is a 91 KDX 200e rolling chassis for $250. It needs a motor. I found an h complete motor for 350. I'm not 100% sure the h motor will just bolt on though.
Dude...
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Thedude1973 wrote:So, there is a 91 KDX 200e rolling chassis for $250. It needs a motor. I found an h complete motor for 350. I'm not 100% sure the h motor will just bolt on though.
Does the 91 have an engine or is it missing completely?

The cases of an E and an H are pretty close to the same so the engine will bolt in. The head on an H has two head stays so you may have to cut one off to get it to fit.
Thedude1973
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Thedude1973 »

rbates9 wrote:
Thedude1973 wrote:So, there is a 91 KDX 200e rolling chassis for $250. It needs a motor. I found an h complete motor for 350. I'm not 100% sure the h motor will just bolt on though.
Does the 91 have an engine or is it missing completely?

The cases of an E and an H are pretty close to the same so the engine will bolt in. The head on an H has two head stays so you may have to cut one off to get it to fit.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3522614358.html

This is the bike. Pull the trigger?
Dude...
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Tough call on that bike. The pictures don't show the tank, plastic or seat, which you would want to be in usable condition for that price. If the motor actually has a new bottom end and just needs a piston and the sleeve installed, then this could be a nice basis for your project. i'd be willing to bet that the power valves are trashed, which will add $125-150 to your rebuild to get right. Then they''ll probably break in about 40 hours of running any way. :( If you can live with pulling the top end every 40 hours to replace the KIPS sub valves (this has been my experience on my E hybrid), or riding a bottom-end-only 200 with broken KIPS (which has been my experience for the last two rides on my E Hybrid), then go for it! If you want the full KDX experience, I'd pick up the H motor to put in that chassis.
David Eckel
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

A member here at some point installed an H series cylinder/head on an E series bottom end. It also required the clutch cover and kips actuator rod from the H. Just something to think about if the troublesome kips valves are an issue.
Thedude1973
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Thedude1973 »

dfeckel wrote:Tough call on that bike. The pictures don't show the tank, plastic or seat, which you would want to be in usable condition for that price. If the motor actually has a new bottom end and just needs a piston and the sleeve installed, then this could be a nice basis for your project. i'd be willing to bet that the power valves are trashed, which will add $125-150 to your rebuild to get right. Then they''ll probably break in about 40 hours of running any way. :( If you can live with pulling the top end every 40 hours to replace the KIPS sub valves (this has been my experience on my E hybrid), or riding a bottom-end-only 200 with broken KIPS (which has been my experience for the last two rides on my E Hybrid), then go for it! If you want the full KDX experience, I'd pick up the H motor to put in that chassis.

For sure, I'd absolutely use a RB modded h motor. As long as that suspension (rear) is sufficient, I'll be finding kx forks for the front. If the frame and master cylinder are good I hope to be on the right path at least.

May all be for not. The guy stopped responding and I'm not sure the status. We'll see.

Dude

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Dude...
Thedude1973
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Thedude1973 »

Is there a secret for being able to view my private messeges? I get emails saying I have messages, but says I'm not authorized to read them.
Dude...
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

Dude-----I've sent you a private message------sounds like you didn't get to read it -----You will be most interested in it---and I'll repeat it here for you if you aren't able to get it up. Let me know
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

Thedude1973 wrote:Is there a secret for being able to view my private messeges? I get emails saying I have messages, but says I'm not authorized to read them.
On the message which you get in email which tells you that you have a private message----is there not a link somewhere in that message which you can click on and which will then open the message for you? I had sent you a PM which you would be most interested in. You may email me at rt_rydr@Yahoo.com if you like and I'll get the message back to you that way-----
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
Thedude1973
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Thedude1973 »

On the message which you get in email which tells you that you have a private message----is there not a link somewhere in that message which you can click on and which will then open the message for you? I had sent you a PM which you would be most interested in. You may email me at rt_rydr@Yahoo.com if you like and I'll get the message back to you that way-----[/quote]

Yea, I did click the link but no luck. I went ahead and emailed you.
Dude...
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You have to be a supporting member to use the PM's.
Thedude1973
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Thedude1973 »

rbates9 wrote:You have to be a supporting member to use the PM's.

I want to contribute. What's the process as far as typical dollar amount. And its it PayPal?
Dude...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Thedude1973 wrote:

I want to contribute. What's the process as far as typical dollar amount. And its it PayPal?
http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=12076
ukkdx200

Post by ukkdx200 »

If I were in your position I would just open a new bank account and add to it little by little so you only spend the 1500 and not 3000.
Thedude1973
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Thedude1973 »

Julien D wrote:
Thedude1973 wrote:

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=12076

Did the $21 level just now. Tmilow@yahoo.com. Forgot to include my user name in the comments.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Dude...
Thedude1973
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Thedude1973 »

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcd/3524634515.html

Hopefully going tomorrow afternoon. If he'll take a bit less than he's asking, I may be able to stretch the budget just a bit.
Dude...
ukkdx200

Post by ukkdx200 »

looks like a better plan! are you going to take someone with you? if possible you should as you will just be thinking mmmmmmmmm bikkkkkeeeeeee!!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

both tires look really worn out.
front end looks like it might be leaking (lift the boot and inspect seals for oil and crude)
Ask him if the piston is stock or not (see newb thread in my sig)

If he's willing to go down, that could be a deal.
good luck