type f trans fluid

Got questions? We got answers....
johnboy76

type f trans fluid

Post by johnboy76 »

new to the site, just got a 96 kdx, been out of the dirt bike stuff for a while, the guy i got it from used type f trans fluid in the clutch case/gear box, he said it worked well, was wondering how often it needs to be changed? every ride? every other ride? most of the long rides i will be doing are anywhere between 60 to 80 miles. thanks... :hmm:
if your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.... Roger Alan Wade
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

type f trans fluid

Post by SS109 »

I know lots of people go overboard with how often they say to change it. I run ATF as well and I have been running mine for about a month between changes. That normally includes 2 or 3 rides a week, 20 to 50 miles a day, and I'm running an auto-clutch that is hard on the ATF. Hope that helps!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
johnboy76

type f trans fluid

Post by johnboy76 »

yeah, thanks. this is the first time ive had a bike that trans fluid was being used in it.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

type f trans fluid

Post by rbates9 »

I use type F and change it if there is any color change in the sight glass or if the transmission starts to shift poorly.
kashola
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: type f trans fluid

Post by kashola »

In my opinion, it depends on how hard you ride the bike. Under race conditions, change it every time. If you're just cruising, stretch it out some. Either way, it's cheap to do when using house brand ATF.
johnboy76

type f trans fluid

Post by johnboy76 »

yeah i will just keep an eye on it, like i said atf was new to me using it in the clutch case/gear box, seems to shift well though, alot smoother than i remember my bikes using 10/30 oil. was just concerned on how often it should be changed since it was new to me, not wanting my clutches or gears to go south, thanks to all of ya,ll for the input and help. im ready to go do some roosting! :supz:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

type f trans fluid

Post by SS109 »

Yeah, no worry on wear as long as you change when it starts discoloring or notice the a shifting feel change.
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

type f trans fluid

Post by rbates9 »

ATF is designed for automatic transmissions that have multiple clutch packs that slip every time the transmission shifts. They don't slip as much as a dirt bike clutch but if you think of how many times the automatic transmission shifts between oil changes they do slip a lot. An automatic transmission has gears and bearings much like a dirt bike. Also an automatic transmission tends to run hotter for longer than a dirt bike transmission.

So ATF in a dirt bike should be just fine.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

type f trans fluid

Post by SS109 »

rbates9 wrote:ATF is designed for automatic transmissions that have multiple clutch packs that slip every time the transmission shifts. They don't slip as much as a dirt bike clutch but if you think of how many times the automatic transmission shifts between oil changes they do slip a lot. An automatic transmission has gears and bearings much like a dirt bike. Also an automatic transmission tends to run hotter for longer than a dirt bike transmission.

Yup. Also, most auto manufacturers call for 50 to 100k mile service intervals as well. Our little bikes won't see anywhere near that many miles before a change.
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

type f trans fluid

Post by rbates9 »

I want to say the old Fords that called for type F had a 30K change interval. But still far more than a bike would go on a oil change, or even in it's life.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

type f trans fluid

Post by zomby woof »

The difference between type F and the other manufacturer recommended ATF's is not significant, so it's not a big deal if you use one of the other readily available ATF's. I change mine about once a year. Most auto trans in cars never get changed.
Ontario, Canada
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

type f trans fluid

Post by Slick_Nick »

SS109 wrote:
rbates9 wrote:ATF is designed for automatic transmissions that have multiple clutch packs that slip every time the transmission shifts. They don't slip as much as a dirt bike clutch but if you think of how many times the automatic transmission shifts between oil changes they do slip a lot. An automatic transmission has gears and bearings much like a dirt bike. Also an automatic transmission tends to run hotter for longer than a dirt bike transmission.

Yup. Also, most auto manufacturers call for 50 to 100k mile service intervals as well. Our little bikes won't see anywhere near that many miles before a change.
Don't forget that cars also have fluid filters and coolers, so the life of the fluid can be extended significantly. We don't have that luxury unfortunately, so we need to change it much more often.
'00 KDX 220R
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

type f trans fluid

Post by Fatherof2 »

I find that my tranny fluid lasts longer in the cold weather.
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

type f trans fluid

Post by zomby woof »

Slick_Nick wrote:
SS109 wrote:
rbates9 wrote:
Don't forget that cars also have fluid filters and coolers, so the life of the fluid can be extended significantly. We don't have that luxury unfortunately, so we need to change it much more often.
That's true, but compared to an auto trans, there's almost no heat or contamination.
Ontario, Canada
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

type f trans fluid

Post by SS109 »

zomby woof wrote:
Slick_Nick wrote:
That's true, but compared to an auto trans, there's almost no heat or contamination.
Yup! Plus, we have only friction discs while a typical car has discs, plus friction bands, servos (on more moderns cars), and the torque convertor. They all create lots of heat, especially the torque convertor.
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

type f trans fluid

Post by rbates9 »

The average auto gets hotter going to the store to get milk than a bike on a good ride.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

type f trans fluid

Post by Slick_Nick »

rbates9 wrote:The average auto gets hotter going to the store to get milk than a bike on a good ride.
Correct, but the bike will have many more contaminents. Car transmissions have wet clutches, but they don't wear nearly as fast or create anywhere as much debris as a bike clutch does. That, coupled with the lack of a filter, and you get fluid that gets dirty quickly.
'00 KDX 220R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

type f trans fluid

Post by rbates9 »

Slick_Nick wrote:
rbates9 wrote:The average auto gets hotter going to the store to get milk than a bike on a good ride.
Correct, but the bike will have many more contaminants. Car transmissions have wet clutches, but they don't wear nearly as fast or create anywhere as much debris as a bike clutch does. That, coupled with the lack of a filter, and you get fluid that gets dirty quickly.
I don't think that anyone is saying to use ATF and go 30,000 between changes. I think the point was that ATF in a dirt bike transmission is a good option to the over priced bike specific oils. And the change interval should be determined by the user as to how they ride and how much they want to change the oil.

Yes there is less oil in a dirt bike. No they do not have coolers, or filters. But the basic idea of the parts are the same so the oil is a good alternative.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

type f trans fluid

Post by SS109 »

rbates9 wrote:I don't think that anyone is saying to use ATF and go 30,000 between changes. I think the point was that ATF in a dirt bike transmission is a good option to the over priced bike specific oils. And the change interval should be determined by the user as to how they ride and how much they want to change the oil.

Yes there is less oil in a dirt bike. No they do not have coolers, or filters. But the basic idea of the parts are the same so the oil is a good alternative.
Exactly! :supz:
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

type f trans fluid

Post by Slick_Nick »

At a measly $4 a quart (basically cheaper than a fancy coffee) why not change it every 10 hours or so?
'00 KDX 220R