Clutch questions.

Got questions? We got answers....
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Clutch questions.

Post by Dekon »

Looking for a little help, I have the service manual and searched on here, but can not figure a few things.

1. The jutter spring, which way does it go, up toward the hub or down toward the friction plate. Also, when I took the clutch apart, there was no jutter spring seat, do I need it?

2. The manual shows a washer between the clutch pusher and the bearing, mine did not have it. Do I need it?

3. It is not very clear in the manual, but should there be a washer between the clutch nut and the clutch basket or does it go between the basket and the back of the clutch wheel(that is what the manual calls it, it is the plate that goes under all the plates)?

I had every bagged and labeled, but it has been a few weeks since I took it all apart.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Clutch questions.

Post by canyncarvr »

Well? Where's all the answers!!?? :shh:

1. The 'jutter' spring.

It's conical in shape. The wide diameter is toward the INside of the bike...toward the plate. (see !!! below)

1b. Do you need the seat?

The correct answer is, 'Yes.' The two parts do go together. Can you put the clutch together without the seat? Sure.

2. The washer.

That is a shim that is used to correctly place the activation lever's movement. Maybe you need it, maybe you don't. IF your lever correctly travels through the 90º position as indicated in the manual without the shim, you don't need it.

That is considering everything else to be correct. If the top of the lever is sloppy in the cover, to shim or not to shim is not the question. If the clutch cable, the cable housing, the clutch lever pivot is worn, same thing: Use of the shim (or not) isn't going to be correctly indicated by the movement of the lever arm.

The more parts you remove from the pack (the spring-and-seat you mention for example), the more likely you are to have 'alignment' problems (with the lever angle).

3. Washers

There are TWO washers: One behind (goes on the shaft first) the basket, one goes IN the basket.

As per the manual:

!!! Now that I'm thinking about it...I'm unsure of that spring orientation. Truth is, I've had to look it up quite a few times. There IS an orientation graphic in the manual. I'll check my manual tonight, edit this post if the above is incorrect.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 05:04 pm Jul 30 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Clutch questions.

Post by scheckaet »

warning, that 4th washer has the tendency to be very sneaky and get out of place while installing the clutch, do make sure it is still where it should be and that it didn't slide behind the clutch.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Clutch questions.

Post by Dekon »

After looking at it this weekend, the jutter spring seat was stuck to the clutch plate. It is so thin, I did not see it when I took it apart. I also put the washer inside the basket; I realized when I put the clutch nut on it was larger then shaft where the nut goes. And thanks for the info on the washer(shim). Right now I don't know if I need it as my gasket set has not come in yet, so I have not reassembled the motor.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Clutch questions.

Post by canyncarvr »

Dekon wrote:After looking at it this weekend, the jutter spring seat was stuck to the clutch plate. It is so thin, I did not see it when I took it apart.

Dang. I missed a chance to be stellarly magical in my mystical ability. :shock: My first thought was to say, 'Check for that seat to be stuck to the plate.'

Then I thought, 'Folks don't like getting nitpicked on the obvious....', so, I didn't pick that particular nit.

Everytime I pass up the chance to belabor what seems plain, something gets missed. But, everytime I do beat what seems plain dang near to death (soas to NOT miss it)..someone will have something to say about the effusiveness of it all.

...just musing... Or whining. Take your pick! :neutral:

That shim is used as an adjustment piece. As an example: When I replaced my OEM plates with the XR 400 types (Vesrah brand), I no longer needed that shim.

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Good deal!

Consider the source

kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

You might be interested in this:http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/ho ... es-do.html

Lot's of people have left out the judder spring with no harmful results - even when reinstalling the stock plates. Let us know how you fare if you choose to do that.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

kawagumby wrote: Lot's of people have left out the judder spring with no harmful results - even when reinstalling the stock plates. Let us know how you fare if you choose to do that.

Agreed.

I didn't want to get into a 'Which oil is best?' type kerfluffle. Guaranteed some would say leaving them out makes no difference whatsoever, others would be equally polarized on the other end of the argument.

As in the link noted, XR plates in the KDX get you the same situation. They are 'too big' to accept the OEM judder spring, so you are left to decide whether to use all XR plates, or put one of the OEM plates in to allow a re-install of the spring and seat.

I chose to put an OEM plate in and use the spring. Given a choice of 'good' clutch workings and 'better', I'll choose better. That spring is going to help release that last friction plate from the pressure plate..and that seemed like a 'better' idea to me.

Take your pick!

Consider the source

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Clutch questions.

Post by scheckaet »

what is that judder spring y'all talkin about?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Seen in the above embedded pic...the 16007 part...

:wink:

Glad to be of assistance!!

Consider the source

Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Clutch questions.

Post by Dekon »

Canyncarvr, I do not mind being nitpicked, that's how you learn. Nitpick away, I wear big boy pants.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Clutch questions.

Post by scheckaet »

oh THAT! I called that: "the big ass washer that goes behind the clutch doohiky" :lol:
is the flat one going 1st? I can't recall what I did when I put my clutch back together. :?
Whatever I did, it worked this week end.