Mod a KDX or make a Kx more woody

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXjack
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDXjack »

I was just thinking about this and wondered what you guys thought.

Is a RB Head/carb, fork conversion and all the basic mods most of us are doing making the KDX like a KX with a bigger flywheel weight?

My question: Is the KDX still a better woods bike after all the mods? Or would a guy be better off making a KX/YZ/CR/RM woods/trail friendlier with more flywheel weight and some suspension work? :hmm:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Mod a KDX or make a Kx more woody

Post by diymirage »

ive noticed the KX forks make my KDX less of a woods machine...at least untill i learn how to properly steer with the throttle im really hurtin with the larger turn radius

on the other hand, the pipe i put on makes it much more powerfull (which is good) and im sure the RB mods will have the same effect

as for your question on modding a KX/YZ/CR/RM into a trails bike, i would not think so
with those bikes you are converting MX bikes into a woods bike, with a KDX you are improving a woods bike
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It really depends on the rider and terrain. For long rides, it is hard to beat the KDX Kouch to sit on!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

I've ridden a KX 250 with all the woods mods (flywheel weight, ims tank, steering damper, softened suspension, etc). Fun, but I would take my KDX with the rb mods and KX forks any day over the KX. The power delivery is just different. You can go as fast if not faster on a KDX, and it's easier to ride. This is my analysis for tight woods and/or single track.

As a former mx'er I will say that If the track opens up and your dealing with burns, whoops, doubles, etc, give me the KX.

I prefer to make a slower bike faster vs making a fast bike slower. And then there's the comfort in the saddle. Sometimes I forget, then I switch rides with a friend and it quickly becomes evident that I appreciate the seat foam on my KDX.

For what it's worth. :wink:
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

diymirage wrote:ive noticed the KX forks make my KDX less of a woods machine... im really hurtin with the larger turn radius
The KX forks don't change the steering - they need to be setup for off-road with the right springs for your weight, the valving changed for offroad, and the correct positioning in the triple clamps. The USD forks on my bikes greatly improved the steering as there is much less flex and the front end stays put where you want it to. If you are having more trouble steering raise the forks more in the triples until you find the sweet spot, but first make sure the springs are right for you - too stiff will make the bike harder to turn.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

amen.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

kawagumby wrote:The KX forks don't change the steering - they need to be setup for off-road with the right springs for your weight, the valving changed for offroad, and the correct positioning in the triple clamps. The USD forks on my bikes greatly improved the steering as there is much less flex and the front end stays put where you want it to. If you are having more trouble steering raise the forks more in the triples until you find the sweet spot, but first make sure the springs are right for you - too stiff will make the bike harder to turn.
Yep! My KDX turns on a dime and gives you 9 cents in change back! :mrgreen: Seriously, the KX fork mod was one of the best mods I have done to my bike. It tracks better through rough turns and when setting up for a turn in the braking bumps. When blasting fire roads and hitting large G-outs and squared edges the KX forks just suck it up without bottoming. Of course, I do have the correct springs for my weight, they have been professionally revalved, I bought bar risers so that I could raise the forks in the triple clamp to get the front/rear balance just right, and I have played with my clickers quite a bit to dial it all in. It was a lot of work but it was worth every second and penny put into it.

To the OP, read my first response in this thread: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=12546 If my bike can hang with all of those it shows what the KX forks and the standard mods can do for the KDX. I still haven't even installed the Jaguar ignition box yet and it is supposed to be an improvement where you can feel the difference! Can't wait to try it out! :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

kawagumby wrote: The KX forks don't change the steering - they need to be setup for off-road with the right springs for your weight, the valving changed for offroad, and the correct positioning in the triple clamps. The USD forks on my bikes greatly improved the steering as there is much less flex and the front end stays put where you want it to. If you are having more trouble steering raise the forks more in the triples until you find the sweet spot, but first make sure the springs are right for you - too stiff will make the bike harder to turn.

maybe im just too slow but by modifying the steering stops to keep the KX forks from hitting the tank dont i take away sharpness in the steering?
(like i said, once i get faster and used to steering with the throttle it may not be an issue anymore but as far as turning the front wheel sideways there is less room to turn)

KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

maybe im just too slow but by modifying the steering stops to keep the KX forks from hitting the tank dont i take away sharpness in the steering?
True, but that will mostly only be an issue when turning your bike around in the garage.
My old KDX with KX forks turned great. I was in no way hampered by a reduced turning radius.
The hybrid has a much greater turning radius than the KDX did. That took some getting used to.
My KTM is somewhere between the two of them.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Stick with the KDX. It's easier to control in the woods/trails with its smoother power delivery and lower seat height and shorter wheelbase. It's a lot more comfy too
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

diymirage wrote:maybe im just too slow but by modifying the steering stops to keep the KX forks from hitting the tank dont i take away sharpness in the steering?
(like i said, once i get faster and used to steering with the throttle it may not be an issue anymore but as far as turning the front wheel sideways there is less room to turn)
If you think about, how often do you hit the steering stop when turning? Unless it is a hike-a-bike technical trail you should hardly ever notice the reduced turning radius. Remember, motorcycles are meant to be leaned over in a turn! :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

+1
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

SS109 wrote: If you think about, how often do you hit the steering stop when turning? Unless it is a hike-a-bike technical trail you should hardly ever notice the reduced turning radius. Remember, motorcycles are meant to be leaned over in a turn! :mrgreen:

oh i've leaned this bike over plenty

and it get heavier and harder to pick up everytime :oops:

like i said, i just need to get more skillfull at it

frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

I would put the kdx motor up against any 250 in the woods. The chassis? Not so much. Hybrid beats both hands down.