Installing more than one lighting coil.

Got questions? We got answers....
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I realize the stock stator plate will only mount one lighting coil but I was wondering how big a deal it would be for someone with machine skills to make a stator plate that would accomodate two lighting coils along with the ignition coil.

Would that be do able? It might be a way to get more lighting power instead of squeezing in a few more windings on the stock lighting coil.

Just thinkin' out loud.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Doable?
Why not? Happens all the time.

Didn't find an output rating of the above (cursory search)..but similar units are advertised at 250W.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The hard part would probably getting it timed correctly. I tried looking for an SR stator setup but haven't been able to locate one yet.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

A while back I contacted a dealer in Australia asking about this same thing. He replied with a quote for a multi coil stator like the one shown. As I recall, the price was in the $500 region.

Back in the day, using 2 lighting coils in parallel was common in Villiers, BSA Bantam, Harley Hummer, etc. two strokes. Cushman also used 2 lighting coils in parallel for their scooter engines. I'm sure some internet research would provide lots of detail.

I haven't taken the flywheel off my 97 KDX 200 yet, but from pictures I've seen, I would think there's room for an additional lighting coil. Obviously, a special stator plate would have to be made up.

Regarding ignition timing, in the days of breaker points it was a simple matter to use a dial indicator to measure piston travel and some cigarette paper or a continuity tester to tell when the points opened and that was when the spark occurred.

Today, I would think a battery powered timing light and a degree wheel mounted on the flywheel would be a good way to check ignition timing. I have thought about graduating the rim of the flywheel with degree marks. Of course the engine would have to be spinning for this to work.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

would it be worth all the extra effort over rewinding the stock stator?
if i remember correctly, the rewound stock unit will put out a good 100 watt
the multi coil shown about is listed at 250 but how much do you really need ?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

diymirage wrote:would it be worth all the extra effort over rewinding the stock stator?
if i remember correctly, the rewound stock unit will put out a good 100 watt
the multi coil shown about is listed at 250 but how much do you really need ?

As much as you can get! :wink:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

diymirage wrote:...but how much do you really need ?
If you like night riding then you need every watt you can get! Night riding at night requires some pretty big lights to not get yourself killed. Of course, there are some really nice low power consumption LED lights out now but they are not cheap. Probably a wash when all considered.
'11 GasGas EC250R
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

SS109 wrote:
diymirage wrote:...but how much do you really need ?
If you like night riding then you need every watt you can get! Night riding at night requires some pretty big lights to not get yourself killed. Of course, there are some really nice low power consumption LED lights out now but they are not cheap. Probably a wash when all considered.
as opposed to night riding on my lunch break ? :wink:

maybe its because most of my night riding is limited to city streets where there is decent lighting anyway but shouldnt a 75 waat headlight cover it ?
on 100 watt stator that would leave 25 for a tail/brake light and turn signals (if you choose to run those)

seems plenty to me

and yes, the LEDs do look cool but i dont think id care to pay for it
(i have tried running LED foglight bulbs in the KDX as a headlight and they did allright but no reall improvement over stock)
not too mention they dont stand up to off road riding

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I am talking about night riding off road. Think about how hard it is to ride on single track when it gets dark. You need awesome lighting for that! As for the LED lights I'm talking about, they aren't the cheapies. I'm talking about ones like these: https://www.rigidindustries.com/category-s/129.htm

I think two these mounted up front would be perfect for night riding and only draw 25.5 watts each. The only problem is the $300 price tag! :shock:
'11 GasGas EC250R
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I'm not sure if the stock stator can be wound to put out 100 watts but I think it can get close. If your running thin enough wire to get enough windings for the increased wattage I think you are putting the stator at it's limit which may make it more prone to failure if you actually use it's maximum output on a regular basis.

If you can install two lighting coils you might be able to get enough extra lighting power to run a high output headlight, or several lights, or even a headlight and electric gloves/vest.

Just say'n stuff (brainstorming) :mrgreen:

Extra wattage gives you more options.

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Brian wrote:I'm not sure if the stock stator can be wound to put out 100 watts...
Yes, it can! Member Slick Nick has proven that you can get 100 watts by rewinding the stator. Check the "Best of the Best Mods" stickied thread for the details.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I read that post (and watched the You Tube video) and it seems to me that there was some question about that being the true output. With so much "back and fourth" between posts I could never really figure out if that was the correct output or not. Either way, it would be cool to mount two of them under the cover. Two hundred watts could power quite a bit of light.

Since you mentioned Slick Nick...I wonder how those bearings are holding up? :lol:

Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Read the final "results" post I made in that thread. Iirc, I tested ot to 103W at a "normal cruising RPM"
'00 KDX 220R
the machinist
Supporting Member

Post by the machinist »

Brian wrote:I realize the stock stator plate will only mount one lighting coil but I was wondering how big a deal it would be for someone with machine skills to make a stator plate that would accomodate two lighting coils along with the ignition coil.

Would that be do able? It might be a way to get more lighting power instead of squeezing in a few more windings on the stock lighting coil.

Just thinkin' out loud.
I would be willing to take on this project if you could provide the needed pieces. I will do this at our shop free of charge and document the results on this site. I'm also just up the road from Trail Tech, I think the would be down to help.
-Matt
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Two stock coils would only give you 70-80 watts max and quite a bit less at idle. So, you would still need to rewind them for higher output so why bother when one rewound stator can put out more than two stock ones. So, the only other option would be to adapt a radial stator to the KDX like the one canyncarvr posted earlier. Now that could be interesting.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

by SS109 » 01:35 pm Jun 24 2012

Two stock coils would only give you 70-80 watts max and quite a bit less at idle. So, you would still need to rewind them for higher output so why bother when one rewound stator can put out more than two stock ones.
The whole point is more lighting options. Two stock lighting coils might be more reliable that an equivilant rewound coil. Or maybe two rewound coils for the 200 watts of lighting power. Just say'n.

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Brian wrote:
by SS109 » 01:35 pm Jun 24 2012

Two stock coils would only give you 70-80 watts max and quite a bit less at idle. So, you would still need to rewind them for higher output so why bother when one rewound stator can put out more than two stock ones.
The whole point is more lighting options. Two stock lighting coils might be more reliable that an equivilant rewound coil. Or maybe two rewound coils for the 200 watts of lighting power. Just say'n.
My whole point is that having a custom stator plate made to hold two stock coils just isn't worth it (cost and/or time wise) when rewound stators have proven just as reliable as the stock coils. However, if you have the time, the tools, and the know how, why not? Go for it! I always like seeing someone push ahead with new and different mods.
'11 GasGas EC250R
gregp

Post by gregp »

I just rewound my stock lighting coil this past weekend. I used 18 gauge magnet wire, and it worked great! It was very easy to do, and took about an hour. I am not running a 35/35w headlight, a standard 1157 tail/brake light bulb, 2 LED directionals up front, and 2 - 7 watt rear directionals, plus a 12v horn - all with no battery.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Installing more than one lighting coil.

Post by pumpguy »

Can you tell us the length of wire and the number of turns you used?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

gregp wrote:I just rewound my stock lighting coil this past weekend. I used 18 gauge magnet wire, and it worked great! It was very easy to do, and took about an hour. I am not running a 35/35w headlight, a standard 1157 tail/brake light bulb, 2 LED directionals up front, and 2 - 7 watt rear directionals, plus a 12v horn - all with no battery.
yes, but can you tell us what you ARE running ?