Other Kawasaki Options?

Got questions? We got answers....
Fieldie
Supporting Member

Other Kawasaki Options?

Post by Fieldie »

G'day All!!!!!

I received a bonus from work & am looking to upgrade. :grin: :grin: :grin:

I'm not sure yet if I am going to keep my 1997 KDX200 in the shed, or if I will sell her & put money toward an even later model bike.

I have green blood running through my veins, so wondered what peoples thoughts were for upgrading under the big K banner????

I'm looking at mainly single track use with the odd rough old country town mx track as a treat. I want excellent suspension, but I am old now & ride alot slower than I used to. I am looking for a bike to build my skill, nerve & strength on to charge fairly hard for an old bloke.

The KDX is my first bush bike for about 18 years. I'm a fit (ish) 44yo @ 95kg or roughly 190lb.

Is the KLX450 a decent bush bike? Would a KX450F with a headlight be a better option? I probably wouldn't notice much difference in gearing...
Is here plenty of smooth grunt from a KX250F for my size nowadays? KLX300? I dunno - What are peoples thoughts???
1997 KDX200-H3 Stock Standard except FMF Fatty pipe

...the glass is always half full...
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

The 450 would be a poor choice for most single track, it will tend to tire you out. The 4stk 250's are good but do require more maintenance -

To put things in perspective, I just sold my souped-up 07 yamaha WR250F because I couldn't justify keeping it...I ride my KDX200 so much more because I can go faster, longer and have more fun on it. I did, however, put some nice USD's on it to make it the bike what it is today - the stock forks suck, IMO.

At 190 lbs, whatever bike you have will likely need to be sprung for your weight -

A KDX puts out roughly the same HP, or a little more, than a 4 stroke 250 - if tuned well, either should haul you around easily. I have to admit tho, the power delivery from a 4 strk is a lot of fun.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

To be honest I have no Kawi loyalty other than the KDX. If I went 4-stroke it would be Blue, or Rotax powered as they seem to have the least amount of catastrophic failures. If your KDX is stock there is a lot that can be done to it.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

it's simple, here is what you will do:
1. sell your KDX for a fraction of the money you invested in it
2 buy another bike in whatever flavor you like.
3 ride new bike
4 be disappointed on how poorly it handles
5 Mod the hell out of the new bike to suit your style
6 ride with new mods
7 be disappointed on how it handles still
8 dump more money to mod it even more to make it behave like your old trusty KDX
9 ride with new mods
10 wish you didn't sell your kdx
11 thinking about getting your old bike back
12 find your old bike that was in pristine condition all torn to pieces by new owner
13 sell bike at a loss
14 look for another KDX
15 get a new KDX with less upgrade, not as nice and more expansive,
life sucks
16 go ride the kdx bone stock cuz you lost too much money on the previous deals and can't afford doing the upgrades you had done your 1st bike
17 enjoy the hell out of that bike
18 life is good again

:wink:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

lol. Agreed. If the KDX isn't doing quite what you want, you can fix that much cheaper than you can buy a 4t dissapointment.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I have heard this often: "I used to have a KDX....."

I have yet to hear it followed by: ".....I'm glad I got rid of it"

I I had a bit of money to spend I'd be tempted to look for one of the last years of steel frame KX250's or 125's. There is no telling where that purchase might lead.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

i would drop a few hundred in a front suspension swap and that should take care of every suspension need you have

then drop another 300 into some Ron Black milling of the carb and head and that should put you well within the power you need

use the remainder to buy some matching gear ;)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

I would just keep the KDX.

I have two CR250s that are set up for woods. Rekluse clutches, slightly lower gearing, flywheel weight on one of them, etc., etc., etc. My son has been racing LACC hare scrambles with one of them since 2009. About a month ago I ordered a set of numbers that my son runs for my CR250 and told him that he can race it or use it for a back up bike. I like my KDX200 better than my CR250 for the kind of riding that I do.

IF I were going to buy a new dirt bike for myself, I'd buy one of the new KTMs with the linkage rear suspension because they have the magic button. It would be a two stroke. 250 or 300 - doesn't matter to me.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, I'm with David. If i was after a brandy new bike it would be a KTM 200/250/300 or a Gasgas 300. I've thought about it long and hard, and for what it would cost, I can build a KDX or KDX hybrid to suit me much better for much less cash. I've really got no interest in the new four strokes. The KLX is nice, but a total pig. Would be great for some plated fun on back roads, but definitely wouldn't compare to a trail bike in the woods. The 4t MX bikes are all garbage.
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

The 4t MX bikes are all garbage.
Interesting, I'll have to keep that in mind.... should save me some money.