Clutch Removal

Got questions? We got answers....
Edward Anstett
Supporting Member

Clutch Removal

Post by Edward Anstett »

Forgive me KDX guru particapents, this newbie would like to know if I can remove the clutch assembly with out removing the whole right side case on my 04. I just purchased cyclepedia manual and it advisescomplete right side removal and removal of magneto cover to mount flywheel holder.

I own an impact wrench and thought that would suffice in removal.

My concern is on re-assembling with fresh plates. How does one hold clutch basket in place while torquing back to 65lb spec ?
Also...is their a concencus on what manufacture makes best clutch plate replacements?[bang for buck]

Any links would be appreciated.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Not sure if this is correct for you but on my e-series I think you can just unbolt the spring plate/pressure plate and not remove the basket to get at the clutch plates. If you are replacing the basket, I have heard of peeps using an impact. I used a bar between the spokes to torque it back on but I'm not sure if i'd do that again. It worked though.
All that can be done by just removing the clutch cover.
Fly wheel holder would be best though.
No idea about best aftermarket clutch.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
Edward Anstett
Supporting Member

Post by Edward Anstett »

?Fletch... I looked up your "E" clutch diagram and it appears to be the same as the "H", however, I can not see how one could to remove the clutch plates without first removing the 22mm clutch hub nut. It is this nut that hold the clutch hub intact, and the clutch hub totally covers/encapsulates the clutch plates.

I have seem many dirt bike videos on youtube where people demonstrate clutch removal.....and yes ...they do appear to disassemble like you described in your post,..... but the KDX is built different.? Of course no one has a kdx step-by-step on youtube. Sucks for me.

Has anyone used TUSK brand clutch plates? Seems reasonably priced.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

No. Remove the bolts that hold the springs, and the inner hub and plates will pull right out. You do not have to remove the large nut and basket to remove the clutch pack.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Sorry about being so vague. Thanks to Juliend for clarifying.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
Edward Anstett
Supporting Member

Post by Edward Anstett »

Thank your gentlemen. The vagueness was in the on line manual only!
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

You can use XR 400 clutch plates to increase the amount of friction surface. There are fewer plates in the XR kit, but you can use a couple of KDX frictions to get the correct number of plates. I have no info on different brands and their performance. Do a search for more info.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250