1987 kdx 200 flywheel interchang?

Got questions? We got answers....
wezzal

Post by wezzal »

i am just curious i have a 1987 kdx 200 with a bad flywheel the magnets have come off and came all to pieces just wondering which flywheels interchange all help will be appreciated
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Look on the fiche and see what matches :wink:

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26 ... e/Kawasaki
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
wezzal

Post by wezzal »

thanks for the reply i checked the fiche 86 87 and 88 models no luck so far would have epoxied but the magnets are gone anybody got parts let me kno thanks
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Unfortunately that is the reason most of those early KDX's got scrapped. I understand you may be able to use a tecate flywheel if you cut in a new keyway. Google search that for more info. Other than that, I think there is no other option for it.
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I think you may be able to use one from a earlier A-model but you will have to swap the stator as well. This may require slight modification and I am not sure about the timing adjustment range issues. I have both and looking at them I think you could make it work. I don't think modding anything to work would be any easier or cheaper than finding a OEM unit.

It has been said that you will see Jesus (the real one, not the wibby one) before you will find a C-model flywheel for sale. I have seen them bring $200-$400 dependent upon condition. You need to find a clapped out bike that at least gets fire and sell the parts you don't need.

Good luck with the search.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
wezzal

Post by wezzal »

thanx again u guys for all the help will consider just buying an oem i found it on the fiche for $387 thats alot of money for an old kdx i am trying to fix it for my father i have a 2003 ktm 450mxc so im not really in need of the old kdx but still thanks again
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

It may be listed on fiche but I can tell you that it is not available anymore. Well, unless you can find a NOS one on a shelf at some dealership but I highly doubt it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
JohnPainter

Post by JohnPainter »

>|QBB<[/url]
juliend wrote:I understand you may be able to use a tecate flywheel if you cut in a new keyway.
This thread looks dead, so I hope no one feels I'm hijacking it, but it's an important one, since there's a lot of interesting suggestions but few specifics on the web on using the Tecate 3 250 flywheel and either stock stator or one from Ricky Stator http://www.rickystator.com/ I am going through the pain of figuring this out myself and while I've yet to find a reliable tutorial on the exact set up, it seems from what I've read one can either cut a new rotor keyway (looking into the open side of the rotor with the stock keyway positioned up at 12 o'clock) at roughly 1:30, or drill out new bolt guides on the stator so it can rotate further ccw - presumably to that 1:30 mark. So I can either cut a new keyway into the tecate 3 flywheel or drill out the stator plate. This is just a rough up of what I'm thinking, but I would like to hear from anyone with knowledge about converting a Tecate to KDX.

As I understand it the early KDX's like my 1987 (which I've got to rebuild now) must spark at 6* and then again at 21* when the engine hits 6000 RPM.

I have not found a good written tutorial let alone any photos of how the setup should look e.g where the new timing marks should be, etc.

Anyone else working on this type of fix for their '86 - '88 KDX 200?
"They'll talk to ya and talk to ya and talk to ya about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." George ~ Easy Rider
Current: KLR 650, KDX 200
Previous:
1974 Indian MX 100
1980 Yamaha IT 175
1983 Honda CR 125
1982 Suzuki PE 175
89liftedxj

Post by 89liftedxj »

I myself need a flywheel or stator when you kick it over ir has wry weak spark but if you put a cordless drill on the flywheel bolt and crank it with mo plug in it it has spark at higher rpms. I tested my stator on a ohm meter and I'm getting .063 ohms i don't know if that's good or bad. And I was wondering since someone jb welded around the magnets of there in the wrong spot or of there weak. Any replies are a great help. Thanks
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 1987 kdx 200 flywheel interchang?

Post by kawagumby »

1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What is a way to cut a new keyway on one??

I never could come up with a good answer on that one.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

To cut a keyway you'd have to get a keyway broaching set. Here is an example:

http://dumont.com/our-broaches/keyway-broach-sets/

I'd likely take it to a machine shop.

It is a shame that flywheel was problematic on those motors. Those air cooled motors were good. I'd love to find a good one for a hybrid

89liftedxj is putting one in a tryke. That'll be cool
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What was I looking at??? a wide hacksaw blade of sorts???

How many degrees is the stator rotated when it is modified? It seems like that is the way to go instead of hoping you got it right on cutting a new keyway into the rotor.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Yes, copy the fredette mod, make sure the slot is long enough for plenty of adjustment, set it initially at 90 degrees from stock. I just saw an H model flywheel on ebay for about $30, there are more for under $50. Cutting a slot in the stock plate should be easy with a drill and file and you can adjust the rotation all you want.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Hail seizure
Supporting Member

Post by Hail seizure »

My '88 200 is running a PE175 flywheel, so the previous owner told me.