KIPS Questions

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KIPS Questions

Post by KDXGarage »

Always a good time with caked up power valve systems. Previous owner neglect is awesome.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

Thanks for following along folks, because I am WAY past any level of mechanics I have ever tried before.
Thinking that when I put this back together, will replace these two seals. I ordered new ones from Partzilla.
But not sure how to get old ones out and new in. Do I pull them out with a pick? Small needlenose?

Any special grease/prep to put new ones back in?

ScruffyDroid
Supporting Member

KIPS Questions

Post by ScruffyDroid »

Small pick with a blunt end will get them out with gently, but firm pressure.

Use a socket of slightly small diameter to tap the the new ones in, gently. Coat them in grey grease beforehand.
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KIPS Questions

Post by BamBam »

Putting the KIPS back together now. I had the vertical L/R valve gears aligned right, and looking through the exhaust port they close nicely and open easily. That weird middle flipped thing above exhaust port doesn't appear to do much. With activation it just puts a very small wedge at the top of the exhaust port. Is that right?
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

Will try uploading middle flap images from gallery here.... call this Position #1

BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

And calling this Position #2. Before I seal everything up, does this look right??

BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

And if I have the KIPS right, I have an unusual follow-up question. Bad luck continues and the aluminum (?) hollow bolt with spring and ball bearing at the end of KIPS gear came apart trying to install to spec'd in-lb torque. Ordered another but it might take a week, and I really would love to continue putting the bike together tomorrow. It's been weeks now and I am sooooo close to seeing if this thing ever runs again. Could I finish installing the top end, and put the bike back together except for this ball detent thing. Just to get it running and tested. And add that ball detent in a few days when it gets shipped? Not to go riding anywhere, but just started and warmed up. Or would that wreck something else?

It just seems like a less than critical part with decent access to install later. Would love to keep rolling ahead. Is that possible? Or just nuts?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
ScruffyDroid
Supporting Member

KIPS Questions

Post by ScruffyDroid »

If it's the bolt to the front and underneath the left hand side of the KIPS cover (the round slotted one), you can start it without it. You will get pressure leaks through it, but it can be done for functional tests. Don't ride it like that.

Remember the you are torqueing steel bolts into aluminium, so take heed of the correct torque values or you will strip the threads.
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

As to the first part - from the photos does it appear that I have the KIPS installed right? I am not sure what the middle valve flapper thing is supposed to do and how much movement is correct. In the two position pics above, does that middle flapper valve thing look to be moving properly?
bozotheclown

Post by bozotheclown »

BamBam wrote:As to the first part - from the photos does it appear that I have the KIPS installed right? I am not sure what the middle valve flapper thing is supposed to do and how much movement is correct. In the two position pics above, does that middle flapper valve thing look to be moving properly?
the service manual shows the positions of all the valves, which isnt that hard to find and dl
i cant upload pics otherwise i would have put that page up

cheers
CRDX 250 (92 KDX 250 engine 87 CR 250 chassis) 95 KDX 220, 89/90 KDX 200 E x 2, 90 KX 125