Something wrong with My 2000 KDX 200

Got questions? We got answers....
17tkrout

Something wrong with My 2000 KDX 200

Post by 17tkrout »

So I bought the bike from a guy couple months ago and I'm by any means no anything mechanically about the bike. The bike sputtered a good bit and he said the valves needed cleaned and he had noticed it after putting the wrong oil in it? Turns out I took it apart and the valves were stuck open. Long story short I did a top end rebuild and cleaned the valves put everything back together and found out the paw on the governed shaft was coming off the gears of the kips valves. After a long time of wondering what to do and about to take the bottom right side cover off to look at the governor. I found it was a little pin that goes horizontally into the shaft that spins which keeps the shaft and the paw from moving vertically. This pin is held in by a small Phillips head screwdriver. Before the rebuild it didn't smoke now it does on idle on a cold start and smokes a little more when I open her up. When I twist it full throttle it sounds like it's not getting fuel. In neutral I can rev it and sound fine without WOT but when I put it in 1st gear and 2nd gear at take off it sputters a lot and doesn't really hit the power band per say and when it does its just sputtering like crazy with no good power. But in 3rd gear and up it has good power and still can feel at WOT it doesn't get fuel. Seems to run better when engine is cool and I'm idle the idle screw doesn't do much especially when the engine is hot. When putting around in 1st 1/4 throttle to 1/2 throttle seems fine but it's when u rev it u can hear the sputtering. I don't know if anyone knows what's wrong or if it's a carb jetting issue. Is it a runner boot issue or I even heard of crank seals going bad?? Please help!
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Something wrong with My 2000 KDX 200

Post by Jaguar »

go over everything- crank seals, reeds, and make sure silencer isn't clogged.
take out the jets and clean them out. Make sure fuel flows freely into float bowl.
clean the filter and change the plug.
check for at least 160psi cylinder pressure.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
mliz

Re: Something wrong with My 2000 KDX 200

Post by mliz »

Sounds like some tuning is in order. Sound like you are running fat during idle which is causing a lot of smoke. When you rebuild a top end it is always a good idea to clean your filter and thoroughly go through your carb (make sure all the passages are cleaned thoroughly. A clogged or partially clogged passage can cause so many problems). Sounds like you may need to go a size down on the main jet and adjust your needle height.

This is the progression I always use when tuning. Get pilot circuit perfect, set main jet, and adjust finally with needle height. It is definitely a process but will yield great results if you take the time to do it correctly.

To set pilot circuit, set mixture screw 1.5 turns out and start bike, wait until it gets to full temp. Screw in mixture screw until the bike is about to die and then back out slowly until you hit peak RPMs. Kill the engine and screw the screw all the way back in, counting the turns. REMEMBER that number! Less than half a turn, increase pilot jet size. More than two and half a turns, drop pilot jet size.

Also, a clear sign that your crank seals are going bad is your bike sucking up trans oil into your top end. Keep an eye on you trans oil level before you start you tuning and then recheck about 15 minutes after. If you are missing some oil and it is not on your floor then you know where it went :cry:

Hope this helps and good luck.