Knee Injury Saturday.

Causes and cures...
KDX200Kev

Post by KDX200Kev »

When you hurt your knee it does not repair itself back to new. It just forms scare tissue around the injury. The first time I hurt my ACL it was only a partial tear. It really hurt! The knee felt unstable for at least a year. Eventually it felt normal. The thing about a partial tear is it will appear to the Doctors when moving your leg around that it is ok. This is what happened to me. Now the second time I injured my need I completely ripped what was remaining of the ACL. It hurt but nothing compared to the first time. When the doctors moved my leg around it was obvious I tore my ACL. Thats when it is time for surgery if you want it fixed. Hopefully this is not your situation. It just sounds like the same story of all the other people I spoke to during my physical therapy after my ACL surgery.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thanks for the input Kev. The first time it happened, it did'nt hurt at all. When the bike slid into the side of my knee, it just made a loud "pop". and that was it. Now when I tried to get up to get my bike upright is when I noticed the instability. When I stood on it and tried to shift my weight, it felt like the thigh bone was trying to slide off my calf bone going towards the inside of the leg. They did'nt see any tears on the X-ray, but X-rays don't always show everything. The second time I injured it was on a hill. I twisted the knee then. It just did'nt have any strength to it and it twisted. Now it really hurt that time. I had to set for a few to get the pain to go down but it swelled up pretty good. I rode the rest of the day but I also took breaks and iced it up between rides which helped. I went through weeks of icing it up after work and then using a heat pad every night for several weeks. It did help but there's still something not right in there. It feels stronger now and don't have a problem riding on it but I don't trust it yet. Thats a problem. And with a couple of races I want to run comming up, I need to be able to trust my knee to stand up to some abuse in order to be fast. I can't focus on the race when I have a doubt about my knee holding up. But it's grinding , popping, and every once in awhile it does that little give out thing on me. Not as much as it did just after the injury.

I did a little search on Google on knee injuries. I was looking for symptoms close to mine. I found one that was exactly like my symptoms. It was a damaged miniscus. It could be either just the muniscus, or the ligaments that are incorperated with the muniscus. It described the same exact symptoms as I'm going through. I detailed the healing time to be according to if it's and internal or external minuscus injury. The outside would heal faster than the interior because of blood flow. The outside of the knee gets more blood flow than the interior of the knee. It said that healing times could be from one week up to eight weeks, just depending on the extent of the injury. Imobalisation was part of the healing after surgery and of coarse physical therapy and keeping weight off the knee until healed.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Well I got an appointment for an MRI tomorrow afternoon. I guess we'll se what damage there is and how long I'll be out of commision. The doctor comfirmed a possible meniscus injury yesterday also. So I think thats what I'll be looking at fixing. Good time comming up to start my training for racing.

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Meniscus tears are easy to repair for a good orthopedic surgeon. Just make sure you mark the correct knee. My son had this done and he was back on the mountain snowboarding the next weekend.

Good Luck
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

Well what was the outcome Jafo?? How did the MRI look??
03 220R
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

FLAKDX, I have'nt got it done yet. It's this afternoon. I have to go in early to get checkout for metal in my eyes first. After it's done then I have to go to the orthorpedic surgen to let him "analize" the MRI. It could take a few days to get all this done. I'll let you all know when I find out. I hope thats all thats wrong :roll: I'd like to be back going full speed in a week or so. That Enduro is Sept. 11. I'd like to try to ride in that.

Jon.
KDX200Kev

Post by KDX200Kev »

Typically with a meniscus tear it results in locking of the knee not instability. I also had a small tear in my meniscus from the knee popping out (4 times), which typically makes a loud popping noise. One thing I recommend you start to do now is get your leg muscles as strong as possible before any surgery. This will help with recovery. If it is only your meniscus the recovery will be short. You will be walking around within a week like normal. I doubt the Doctor will ok you riding within a week. Probalbly more like 3 or 4 weeks. Thats alot better than the ACL replacement which would be 6 to 9 months. Good luck.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I read that about the minuscus injury too. The knee wanting to lock. It realy has'nt done that but everything alse it described was accurate.

I took my MRI last night and it'll be a few days before I find out what they found. I got to get into an orthopedic surgeon to find out.

I've been kind of working my legs out. It hurts after I'm done so I try to keep it kind of on the light side. I'm still riding. I took a vacation this week and have rode two times this week. I'm going out today to a local MX track. I want to try to get better on the tracks because of some of the hare scrambles are part track around here. I need to get used to hitting the doubles right and trying to clear table tops and work on cornering in deep ruts fast.

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Well I got a call from my doctors office today. Unfortunatley it was 5 minutes before they closed and I missed the call. :evil: They told my wife if they call, they found something on the MRI, they called, so they found something. Now I have to wait all weekend to find out. Crap!

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Well I found out one thing today. I called the doctors and they said the MRI showed a torn Ligament, and it has fluid on the knee also. They did'nt specify which Ligament was tore.

Thats all I got for now. Just waiting on my appointment with the surgeon.

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Waiting, and waiting and waiting.

I called the doctors office today and raised alittle hell with the desk people. Seems they have one person handling referals and know one else in the office knows anything about anything else. :evil: So I raised some hell. I did find one more tid bit of info on the injury. Whoever guessed or said that it was a torn ACL was CORRECT! It's a torn ACL tendon. So I'm now still waiting a dn waiting on an appointment with a surgeon.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sorry to hear that Jon.... Doctors are supposed to be professionals as well as their staff. I'd find another doctor, doesn't hurt to get a second opinion anyway.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Well They finaly got me an appointment today with a very good surgeon. So I do feel alittle better about things. I got two races comming up that I've been planning on for 2 months now. One does'nt look lik it's going to happen. The other might not either if they keep poking around. I'm just under pressure to get fixed and get back to riding hard. I'm so far behind now training wise, I'll be lucky to finish either race in the condition I'm in. If i have some time off for this I plan on hitting the weights hard. I get home from work now and can't do anything because of the swelling in the knee. I just want to sit, thats all.

I plan on looking for a new doc real soon. Really it's not the doctor so much as the help she has. They do suck.

Jon.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

If you guys have not checked the rockgarden knee/shin pads out, take a look, I have a pair and they give support and are not restrictive. I wear them over the pants and they are solid. Their gloves, flack jacket & elbows guards are nice also. I have the whole set and they feel great. :rolleyes:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr