Turf Toe?

Causes and cures...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Turf Toe?

Post by Indawoods »

Hey guys... about every 4-6 months I get turf toe. Anyone know what causes this? It just happens... without warning but it sure does hurt.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Turf Toe?

Post by m0rie »

Indawoods wrote:turf toe
?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Anyone ever play football?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have only heard of it. Here is an excerpt from the http://www.webmd.com website, concerning Steve McNair:

WHAT IS TURF TOE?

Turf toe is the irritation of the joint at the base of the big toe, called the metatarsal-phalangeal joint. In McNair's case, bone spurs have worn and aggravated the nerves around the joint. The injury occurs when the big toe is forcefully jammed into the ground or bent backward. The result is pain and swelling at the base of the toe, where it meets the foot. It can hamper an athlete because it creates pain in the foot every time he plants or pushes off -- when he runs or moves laterally, for example. It can occur on any surface, but it occurs more often when an athlete plays on artificial turf, due to the hard nature of the surface and the superior grip an athlete can get between his shoe and the plastic turf. Also, players wear softer-soled shoes, such as tennis shoes, when playing on artificial turf; these shoes provide far less support and protection to the foot and especially to the forefoot.

DIAGNOSIS

The injury can be diagnosed by an X-ray, by flexibility tests, and by questioning the patient. The X-rays can show bone spurs, or irregularities in the joint. Examining the joint will also show inflammation and stiffness.

TREATMENT

The toe is most often treated without surgery. In this case, the toe would be iced and elevated, and the patient would be prescribed an anti-inflammatory medication. The most important treatment is rest. McNair has worn a protective boot during practices throughout the later part of the season. The boot helps to immobilize his foot to keep down pain and swelling. If the athlete develops bone spurs around the joint, like McNair has, surgery is eventually necessary. The bone spurs are removed, and the area is cleaned out. After the surgery, the foot is immobilized in a cast.

PREVENTION

Turf toe can be prevented by not playing on artificial turf or, more practically, by wearing stiff-soled shoes. This will limit the bending and jamming of the big toe. With stiffer soles, the toe will not bend back as easily. Cleated shoes tend to have stiffer soles that are usually made of plastic.

RECOVERY

The recovery period differs from patient to patient. If an athlete considers it only a nagging pain, he may play through it each week. Otherwise, he may miss a game or two, resting the toe and recovering. When players have surgery, recovery time is obviously increased.

LONG-TERM OUTLOOK

After the initial injury, there is an increased risk of an athlete reinjuring the toe. The toe may also become arthritic, and the athlete may have trouble with arthritis or stiff toes after his career. For the rest of his career, he will play with a special shoe, made to protect his forefoot; the shoe will decrease the odds of reinjuring the toe.

Medical information was provided by Michael J. Ciccotti, MD, director of sports medicine at the Rothman Institute at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia. Ciccotti is also the team physician for the Philadelphia Phillies.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Now I remember when it started acting up again... When I crashed the KTM 250 EXC I had 3 years ago. I looped it really bad on a jump and tumbled many many times. When I finally stopped I sat up and recall my big toe on my left foot was numb and had been jammed. I've had trouble every since from it. I guess I should check to see if anything can be done to alleviate the pain other than tylenol... doesn't seem to help much.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Damn punkins !!! :evil:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."