Front Wheel LOCK-UP!!!!!!!!

Causes and cures...
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Front Wheel LOCK-UP!!!!!!!!

Post by Green Hornet »

I was out riding a 30 mile loop, like I do every Wednesday with some other fellows. Well I get about 15minutes into the ride & I'm traveling down the power lines, then all of a sudden, my front wheel starts to plow & BAMMMMMMMMMM. I'm sliding along the dirt & rocky path for about 20-25feet. Most of it on my head & right side of body..Ooooouuuuuuuu, Oooohhhhhhhh, Aaahhhhhhhh, this hurts!!!!!!Now I know I have a concussion, my left thumb got jammed & I have Dirt Rash on my right forearm(was wearing elbow pads)I was in full gear, THANK GOD. I collect myself, pick the bike up, straighten the bars & proceed to find my riding partner who was about to turn back for me when I found him. I kept thinking....WTF HAPPENED.
Well this is what I found as the cause later (I Believe):
Back in April I replaced the bent stock front rotor with an EBC Rotor & thus the Trail-Tech Magnetic Pick-up would not fit. So being impatient like I am, I went to radio shack, bought those tiny earth magnets & created my own magnetic sensor. This worked well until yesterday. Due to the leaves falling from the trees, the trail has become hard to find, so when I do not see it, I make one. By doing this a thin branch got wedged in between the front caliper & broke the magnetic pick up sensor. The sensor now stuck to the rotor & when I increased the wheel speed, it slid up into the area where the rotor passes through the caliper & WHEEL LOCK-UP!!!!!!!Ooooouuuuuuuu, Oooohhhhhhhh, Aaahhhhhhhh, this hurts!!!!!!
So I have now ordered the correct magnetic wheel sensor.....Think about it....
Ooooouuuuuuuu, Oooohhhhhhhh, Aaahhhhhhhh, this hurts!!!!!!
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Alright! I just learned how to ride! Are you TRYING to make me NERVOUS?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Re: Front Wheel LOCK-UP!!!!!!!!

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote: ....... I'm sliding along the dirt & rocky path for about 20-25feet. Most of it on my head & right side of body..Ooooouuuuuuuu, Oooohhhhhhhh, Aaahhhhhhhh, this hurts!!!!!!Now I know I have a concussion, my left thumb got jammed & I have Dirt Rash on my right forearm(was wearing elbow pads)I was in full gear, THANK GOD.....
The FULL GEAR should be what you get out of that... well besides poor Hornet getting plowed into the ground.... oh... and the don't skimp on parts... :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Front Wheel LOCK-UP!!!!!!!!

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote: ....... I'm sliding along the dirt & rocky path for about 20-25feet. Most of it on my head & right side of body..Ooooouuuuuuuu, Oooohhhhhhhh, Aaahhhhhhhh, this hurts!!!!!!Now I know I have a concussion, my left thumb got jammed & I have Dirt Rash on my right forearm(was wearing elbow pads)I was in full gear, THANK GOD.....
The FULL GEAR should be what you get out of that... well besides poor Hornet getting plowed into the ground.... oh... and the don't skimp on parts... :mrgreen:
HEY, it hurts when I laugh...The magnetic pick-up is $7.95, shipping $7.95, so I ordered 2
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Not as bad as my wreck, but a good story anyway. Where is this 30 mile loop?