Homemade Ice Packs

Causes and cures...
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Homemade Ice Packs

Post by Jeb »

My physical therapist recommended "making" my own ice packs since they are superior to typical store-brought ice packs and are very inexpensive:

Per pack:
*1&1/2 cups isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).
*4 cups water
*(2) 1-gallon ziplock bags.

Dilute the rubbing alcohol with the water (they mix rather well by nature) into one of the gallon ziplocks. Squeeze excess air out (you want just the mix). Place the works into the second bag (the second bag is just for extra protection/durability). Place in the freezer for 24 hours. You should end up with an almost-frozen slurry.

These make AWESOME ice packs! They're big and very cold, and they conform to where you place them. I can cover the lower few inches of my quad, the whole knee, and a few inches of my upper shin bone with one.

You'll want to put something between the bag and your skin like a pillow case or something (I use a single-layer wrapping of an ace bandage) because it is quite cold.

Mine turned out really well and I used a 91% purity rubbing alcohol. If it does freeze too much, add a little more alcohol, if not frozen enough a bit more water.

****EDIT****

Changed last paragraph, correct as you read it now (thanks TopperHarley)
Last edited by Jeb on 08:05 am Nov 04 2007, edited 1 time in total.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

Mine turned out really well and I used a 91% purity rubbing alcohol. If it does freeze too much, add a little more water, if not frozen enough a bit more alcohol.

shoudnt that be the other way around?????
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
TopperHarley wrote:Mine turned out really well and I used a 91% purity rubbing alcohol. If it does freeze too much, add a little more water, if not frozen enough a bit more alcohol.

shoudnt that be the other way around?????
Yep - good catch, and thanks!!

I edited my error
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

I am difinitely going to make some of those. My storebaught ones are leaking sticky gew all ovr da place. Need to pitch them in the trash. thanks for the info.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own