ACL Reconstruction . . . in 3 days!! (gulp)

Causes and cures...
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I might just comment on the swelling, rather than how the shaven knee looks... That's pretty gnarly - Bone drilling !!!! :shock:
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Nice legs Jim! Usually there hid behind pants, pads, braces, bandages, guards, boots, armor, hair! Hows it feel? Maybe soon, ill bring the 250 over for a tree measuring, beer drinking overnight.......
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Sounds like a plan, Rick ole' buddy! Can't wait to see how well you ride with a functional, well-modified front suspension!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Me either. Cant wait to see how well you ride with a functional, well modified knee!
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Hows this Suday or Monday sound?
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

122 degrees of flex today!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Glad to hear the surgery went well, and that you're on the mend. I hope you told your KDX why you're not riding it. You don't want it to think you're ignoring it without good reason. :grin:
Joe
'01 KDX200
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:That's good. Those KTM 50's pack plenty of punch though - I once heard over 10 RWHP!
My sons KTM SX50 Pro Jr., is a ROCKET
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Day 18 and recovery is going well . . .

the physical therapist tells me I should feel good about progress. I can fully extend my affected leg and am not far from being able to flex the knee as much as my "good" knee. He's changing my exercises to focus more on balance and strength. It's amazing how balance affects overall strength: I do better on the cable machine with my bad knee, while balancing on the good leg, than vice-versa.

I'm getting around the house without my crutches but with my brace on and locked.

Still dealing with a little pain, by the end of the day things start aching.

Scarring is minimal, swelling has gone down drastically.

So I hobbled my KDX out of the garage today, stiff-legged and brace in place, and started her up. Second kick, trusty as ever. Man she sounds sweet, and the smell of race gas seemed heavenly. 'Let her sing for a few minutes just to get the juices flowing.

The toughest part of this is going to resist riding for the time I really need to be avoiding riding. Oh, I'm sure it's OK to ride down the back yard a time or two when I'm up to it, but no real "riding" 'till late winter, early spring.

Second toughest part of this is that it's archery season and I'm gonna miss it completely. First time in many, many years.

:sad:

CLICK FOR PICS!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Glad to hear 'bout the recovery. It's amazing the changes they've made in medical work since my mom tore her ACL 7 years ago.

I tore my right calf muscle a week ago and finally saw the doctor today about it....I wish I had done it sooner. It's been the most painful injury I've had yet. There's nothing they can do for me anymore and now they have me on pain meds of sorts.

Guess what, I'm going riding tomorrow! :roll: She said that I should try and make continual excerises like that of walking...she never said I couldn't ride anymore! :lol: I'm taking the KDX too, with my leg like it is it hurts to kick that KDX over, much less the 450. :neutral:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:Glad to hear 'bout the recovery. It's amazing the changes they've made in medical work since my mom tore her ACL 7 years ago.

I tore my right calf muscle a week ago and finally saw the doctor today about it....I wish I had done it sooner. It's been the most painful injury I've had yet. There's nothing they can do for me anymore and now they have me on pain meds of sorts.

Guess what, I'm going riding tomorrow! :roll: She said that I should try and make continual excerises like that of walking...she never said I couldn't ride anymore! :lol: I'm taking the KDX too, with my leg like it is it hurts to kick that KDX over, much less the 450. :neutral:
" . . . nothing they can do for me anymore . . ." YIKES! You mean if you'd gone sooner they WOULD have been able to do something?

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Them crutches are a bitch aren't they jeb? :)
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I'm not entirely sure about what they could have done but had I been in earlier I could have gotten the care earlier and help it heal up quicker. She said best thing at this point is to take the pain killers and work it. The muscle is torn and the pain I'm feeling is it trying to heal and then when I stand back up I end up tearing it again. Meds and excersizing it should help.

It's actually a really stupid story. I was sitting in line of an AMRA desert race on the 22nd when they called my row all of a sudden. I frantically starting kicking the 450 and my foot slipped. The kickstarter went from the bottom of the stroke all the way up into my calf. Instant deadleg like none other I've ever had. Riding my short 2 loops of 25miles each was painful, I could stand up for a few minutes and then I'd have to sit down again and let it rest. Somehow I still ended up getting 3rd in my class and 14/76 O/A! :D :partyman: :supz:

That night my leg was so swollen I really had to work to get my pant legs over it. I hobbled around on crutches for the next day and then hopped on one foot for the next 2. On the 4 day I was walking semi-normally and with the sharp shooting pains. The sharp shooting pains have been becoming worse and today I had had enough of it. :mad:

So yeah, that's my pitiful story. I'm not proud of it at all. When they called me up on the podium I hobbled up and someone said "I bet there is a good story about that!" Yeah, not really. :roll: :lol:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Bleak - You're going to have some great stories to tell your grandkids someday!

And yes, Ron, crutches certainly are a PITA.

CLICK FOR PICS!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

If I manage to live that long! HAhaha
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
JoeR wrote:Glad to hear the surgery went well, and that you're on the mend. I hope you told your KDX why you're not riding it. You don't want it to think you're ignoring it without good reason. :grin:
Joe
Just to make sure "it" knew I was serious about riding again, I managed to get the bike on a stand today and swapped out the rear sprocket with a brandy new Renthal 45t (to go along with the almost brandy new 12t C/S). It was all smiles . . .

but I gotta shorten the chain now! Might as well get a new one . . . :supz:

CLICK FOR PICS!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I put a sunstar sprocket with a D.I.D professional 0-ring chain on last winter on my KDX and they are still like new! I must put much more 1k miles on it and the rear especially looks perfect. The chain has stretched out some but I'm still on the snail adjuster mark #3. Have you seen the new Renthal multi-ring sprockets? Kaching!! $$$ My buddy just bought one in hopes it'll last longer. Those stamped sunstars might not look pretty but they hold up incredible.

Hehe, I know what you should do....get one of these, a green chain. I'd suggest a green sprocket to match that but I can't find one. Hmm, I know they make them in every other color, why not green?!

I was reading up on my calf. So I've got a Grade 2 Calf Strain.
Grade 2 Calf Strain : There is partial tearing of muscle fibers. Full recovery takes approximately 5-8 weeks.
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/leg_ ... a/leg6.htm

Rats, I have a National Hare Scramble coming up in 3 weeks! I'm sitting 3rd in points right now (not bad considering I haven't ridden all the races) and this is could bump me into 2nd if I do well. Hehe, I might have to live up to my moto "If your going to be dumb, you have to be tough". :lol: :supz: Suck it up! :partyman:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

"Tough" is easier when your young, so go for it!

I've seen those green chains on ebay. The more I look, though, the more I've grown fond of the way the gold chains look. I'm trying to decide between this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DID-520- ... enameZWDVW

or a cheaper EK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EK-520-M ... enameZWDVW

The EK looks like a great buy and the claim is that it's good for up to 45 hp bikes (EK's website states the same). Think one of these would suffice? A heck of a price . . .

CLICK FOR PICS!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Doc says I can discontinue the crutches . . . AND the brace!!

But, of course, I'll be out of the saddle 'till spring :sad:

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

You're off the crutches? Good for you! :supz:

If only I could discontinue crutches.... need lots and lots of therapy for that!

I'm also off the saddle till spring.

Scratch that, until I feel 100% :mrgreen: