ACL Reconstruction . . . in 3 days!! (gulp)

Causes and cures...
crf_kdx

Post by crf_kdx »

Hey Jeb - things still progressing well for you?? (I got busy and haven't been to the ole forum much lately.)
"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."
~ William Trogdon

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750
2005 KDX 200 (mine)
2006 CRF 250X (son's)

2004 TTR 125LE (for sale)

KORHS Series: Senior C
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
crf_kdx wrote:Hey Jeb - things still progressing well for you?? (I got busy and haven't been to the ole forum much lately.)
So far, so good! I'm convinced that I'm going to be in BETTER shape coming out of this than when I went in. And I'm talking more than just the knee. Lunges, soccer-conditioning exercises, stairmaster, ect - they're winding me but it's going to pay off. I just gotta' make fitness part of my lifestyle to continue the benefit.

The knee gets sore and aches some by the end of the day. I'm in PT twice a week now but do some isometric stuff every day. Minor swelling but the left knee is looking more and more like my right. Full extension and full bending (can be slow until I'm warmed up). Power is returning as my atrophied thigh is already starting to regain size and strength, and the ability to flex the quads is much better (the quads, as both the surgeon and therapist argue, is the key to protecting my knee).

Interestingly enough, you have to make yourself walk the right way as you start walking. If you don't, you can develop a permanent limp. As I bring the leg forward while walking, I have to focus on bending my knee and bringing my leg through as opposed to wanting to swinging it to the side. And then bringing my heel down first as I straighten my leg.

I'm fortunate to have a physical therapist who takes a sincere interest in my rehab and has the passion he does for his job. He knows what I want to be doing by spring (trail riding) and is actually customizing my rehab to some degree for this. By the time I'm riding again I'll be squeezing my bike between my legs so hard the gas cap's gonna pop off!

Can't wait to ride again. I'll be living near the Florence area most likely by that time, but Rick, Andy and I found a neat place to ride right along 75 that you and the X-rider is gonna' like!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
GS

Post by GS »

Great to hear Jeb.....nothing beats a great pair of quads!

Keep resisting the temptation to slacken off after the benefits are taken for granted, as I did.

I find myself swinging my leg to the side after my hamstring injury....always fighting the swing....you are so right about that!

You CAN come out of this better than before! :grin:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

The ortho surgeon has officially told me I don't "kneed" to come back!!

Specifically, he stated that at this point the force required to tear my repaired ACL would be about the same force required to tear the other one, i.e. I'm as good as before the injury. Within the next 6 months or so, he says, the new ACL will become stronger than the original.

All this means I can ride again!! My leg and "core" muscles have been fairly well-conditioned over the last four and 1/2 months but I do feel a little weaker on the left (injured) knee when I do deep squats. That'll change over the next couple of months as I step up the conditioning.

I'm going ridin' as soon as the weather warms a bit. Got to get the bike prepped and be ready . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

congrats! :partyman:
What did you do to keep the injured leg in good shape?
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

"Kept going in for PT until basically Christmas (about 3 months). A variety of balancing and strenghthening exercises.

Here are the biggies:
Quads - A great exercise that I learned and continue - lunges. I'm talkin' 4-count lunges: lunge forward one leg, lunge forward other leg, lunge sideways one leg, lunge sideways the other - that's one rep! 12 reps, 4 sets. After a few weeks start holding weights and doing it. 5 lbs in each hand makes a big difference, like 12 reps is OK before the weights and then 8 reps is plenty when you add them. I do these and the standard leg presses. In between the sets of lunges I do 25 calf raises, one calf at a time, i.e. each calf is worked using my body weight as the resistance.

Hamstrings - right now I'm doing leg curls, but during PT the therapist made me sit on a stool w/heels and drag (pull) myself around the facility with my heels. Started with 3 laps, then up to 10, then ankle weights strapped to the chair. My hamstrings would BURN, if you can find a way to do that give it a try.

Inner/outer legs - All of these with resistance and knee locked (either a pulley on a universal machine or the "bands") kick leg straight out about a foot and a half for 15 reps; kick leg to the outside about the same for 15; kick leg back about the same for 15; with leg out pull into the other leg for 15. Do this with each leg, 4 sets. Increase resistance over time. These aren't really hard just time-consuming and, frankly, boring. But they hit the the outside and inside muscles directly at the upper end of the legs where they meet the torso and the torso as well. I can feel the difference in waist strength, and this contributes to core strength, an important thing for balance and the ability to grip the bike between your legs.

I've started some physical resistance and aerobic training for the rest of the body as well. Time to make physical fitness part of my lifestyle. Not only will I feel and look better, It'll positively contribute to the safety and enjoyment of riding!!

CLICK FOR PICS!
skaguitarkid

Post by skaguitarkid »

Hey I had my knee done a few years ago. It was pretty painful for the first week due to all the swelling but after i got the Stitches out the pain was pretty much gone. I was walking around on it pretty good after that. Let it heal man while its still cold. I made the mistake of riding to early and I blew it out again. Get yourself a good asterisk knee brace and you will be out there in no time. Good luck dude!!
Tyler RYan