Leatt Brace - Save your neck?

Causes and cures...
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Leatt Brace - Save your neck?

Post by Jeb »

I've been doing a bit of searching regarding protection equipment, and it seemed worthwhile to post this here. A neck "brace" that prevents extreme flexing of your neck in forward/backward/side-to-side directions. $395.

Who knows, might save someone's neck . . . particularly those who mx or are very aggressive/fast riders.

http://www.leatt-brace.com

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

It couldn't hurt. I wear a neck roll. Probably not much protection. If it didn't cost $400 I would probably have one.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Due to the warm riding conditions and extended riding times, I think that I would pass out from wearing that, crash into a tree and die anyway. Man, I have trouble now getting air into my full coverage helmet without that. I understand a broken neck isn't going to be fun, but I can't see surviving a long desert ride wearing that either.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
plb

Post by plb »

I bought one Leatt Brace yesterday. Before, I rode an EVS-RC3 collar.

Pictures and ride report soon.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Since the first posting I'm seeing more and more of them on the tracks. In fact, when my son and I went to the Supercross in Indianapolis a few months back I think about every racer had one on.

EVS has responded with a similar brace since then as well and it's considerably cheaper.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Those things are great, but spendy. Wear something like this (mine doesn't even have the "wedge" in karts...Never seen anyone hurt their neck and I've drug my noggin upside down at 80.

http://www.out2win.com/catalog/helmet_acc.html
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
plb

Post by plb »

My pictures, report and test ride here:

http://www.vmqca.qc.ca/chroniquesdh/chr ... 80807.html

Sorry for the language... put the pictures do the job to understand :supz:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

OK... for the life of me... I can't see where it would do any good whatsoever for this long neck fella...

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

My oldest kid wears one. I borrowed it once to wear in a race and it didn't bother me at all.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

EVS version is <$200. I don't know about the quality, fit, or function of the EVS type but there are alternatives to $400 (Leatt) and $600 (Alpinestar)

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

EXTREMELY OVERPRICED! All of it!

I have a ball protector I will sell you for $800 dollars. If you don't buy it, you may rack yourself and change the bloodline of your future family forever! You wouldn't want that now would you? :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

There's been quite a few broken necks at tracks around me. One of them happening on a practice day while I was there. The guy was 36 I believe and had a couple kids. He never responded to CPR, was airlifted out and pronounced dead at the hospital. I don't know if the brace would have saved him, but I bet his wife would be eager to pay the $400 for a chance to have him back.

The way I look at it is I would hate to be in the position of wondering if paying the $200-$400 would have saved my kid or kept me from having to change his diapers the rest of his life. If he goes back to racing, he'll be wearing one. while they're no gaurantee against neck injury, I haven't yet heard of a case of paralysis while the victim was wearing one.

To put the cost in perspective, my son's buddy races Formula BMW and some other class. His Hahn device cost much much more.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Best to stay home then... oh... and lock the door.

I ain't buyin' it.

What about all the stories I hear.... If I would have been wearing my seatbelt... It would have killed me.

I know one of those guys personally and it is true... Life is a Crap Shoot!

Two sides to every story....

Now I wear protection for the most common injuries... but broken necks ain't one of 'em.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I remember reading that KTM's "Paris to Dakar" rider Chris Blais was wearing a Leatt brace while practicing for a US desert race earlier this year. He crashed with it on and is now paralyzed.

The $800 ball protector cracked me up! :lol:
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Wasn't Blais' injury further down? I hear a lot of people say that the Leatt has caused collar bone and rib breaks - their opinion. I guess if your helmet got slammed sideways or into it violently and pressed the Leatt against your ribs or collar bone it could happen, but it makes you wonder what the neck would have done in those instances also.

One thing I know is that I need new knee guards. I am using inexpensive EVS guards now and a couple weeks ago I came down on a small (2" dia) stump and really hurt my knee. I think the semi-ridgid plastic knee cup flexed and allowed the stump to press into my knee. I know it would have been really bad without the guard, but I think it is time to upgrade. Any suggestions?

I think I would pass on the $800 ball protector. Not becuae they don't need protecting, but because now that I am married I don't get to use them as much as I used to.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Yeah well Harley guys are convinced helmets break your neck, whatever. they also think they "had to lay the bike down" as the fastest way to stop. Nevermind 70+% braking power is on the front wheel, "using the front brake will crash you" I don't really care much what other folks do to preserve them and theirs, it's more about being ok in your own mind that you did all that was reasonably in your means to take proper action in a dangerous sport.

Trail riding with a neck brace, I think optional. MX racing with a 35' vertical drop over jumps? I'm thinking it's a good idea. But that's just me.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's all good... just presenting "The other side" of things. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Due to the warm riding conditions and extended riding times, I think that I would pass out from wearing that, crash into a tree and die anyway. Man, I have trouble now getting air into my full coverage helmet without that. I understand a broken neck isn't going to be fun, but I can't see surviving a long desert ride wearing that either.
I would have the same luck, Ski. I have overheated before just wearing goggles with my helmet (no air circulation). Now I have to wear sunglasses just to be able to breathe. Add a neck support and I would be on fire! (And if I crashed into a tree, Smokey the Bear might get mad at me for starting a forest fire while riding my two-stroke.) :roll:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
jc7622 wrote: . . . I am using inexpensive EVS guards now and a couple weeks ago I came down on a small (2" dia) stump and really hurt my knee. I think the semi-ridgid plastic knee cup flexed and allowed the stump to press into my knee. I know it would have been really bad without the guard, but I think it is time to upgrade. Any suggestions?
Consider an upgrade to knee braces.

CLICK FOR PICS!