Sore Knees.

Causes and cures...
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Sore Knees.

Post by jafo »

I have a condition mainly on my left leg where most of the cartlige on the backside of my knee cap is gone. It rubbs the leg bones and get real sore after riding or anything else thats physicaly demanding. Does anyone else here have sore knees or a condition like this or similar? I was wondering what they do before riding to keep the pain to a minimal. For me the pain does'nt really hit me until the next morning after waking up. Do any of you use a knee brace, if so what kind? I was looking at those expensive braces that are around $600, but man that a chunk of change for a knee brace.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

This doesn't help with the brace part... but in the past I have immediately iced down the problem area and taken some anti-inflammatory medicine, i.e... aspirin, Tylenol etc... seems to help the next day. Those knee braces are high dollar, but I think Rocky Mountain sells some models that are a lot cheaper. They may not be as good, I don't know... but I would check their site.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Sounds good, I went and bought a knee support today, not a brace though it does brace somewhat, it more an elastic supporter. I'll see if that works and if not , guess it's the ice pack and ibeuprofin.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Use an Ace bandage to hold the ice pack on your knee... that way you can still do what you gotta do without removing it! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

My physical therapist told me one time to mix like 80% water and 20% rubbing alcohol in a good ziplock baggy and put it in the freezer. That way it freezes to a slushy consistancy not totally frozen. I used it on my knee one time and found that it's a good idea to put a towel between your skin and the bag. I put this pack on my knee without the towel the first time I tried it and almost frost bit my kneecap! It took about a 1/2 hr. to 45 min. to get the feeling back in my skin. Scared me to death! These packs are great because they will conform to the joint you put it on, pretty effective, just don't leave it on for a long preoid of time. It seemed alot colder than just ice to me.

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've tried the Web carbon fiber brace and the Asterisk. Both exasperated the problem. Then I took Viox. That worked great!!!! But now they tell me it causes cancer. I've been taking over the counter anti-infamitories and they are doing the trick for now. Probably because the viox is still in my system. Talk to your doctor or othopedic surgeon. Then follow their advice. Good luck!
P.S. If you want, try the Asterisk brace. They have a 30 day no questions asked refund policy. If they work, then try and get your doctor to write a prescription.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I went up and bought an el-cheapo ($25.00) knee brace/ support. It covers the first 1/3 of your lower thigh, has a hole for your knee cap to fit through, and goes down your leg past your knee and covers the first 1/3 of the upper calf. It has velcro straps to adjust the support. I went out yesterday and road pretty hard, caught alot of air, alot of woods trail riding through creeks and hill climbing in all the muddy conditions. Very slick trails yesterday! Alot of using your legs to keep the bike upright, climbed some rocks ect. By now, my knee would normally be swollen and have sharp pain right at the kneecap. It feels pretty good today and is not swollen! I did take some Ibuprofen this morniing, but that was for my sore shoulderblade area, and butt muscles. My knee is good though. I think the support/brace helped. It felt more stable yesterday also.

Jon.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
jafo wrote:My physical therapist told me one time to mix like 80% water and 20% rubbing alcohol in a good ziplock baggy and put it in the freezer. That way it freezes to a slushy consistancy not totally frozen. It seemed alot colder than just ice to me.

Jon.
Great Idea to pass along, I'll have to remember and use this pack
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

One word of caution with that mix G.H., you can't leave it on very long. I thought I gave myself frostbite after leaving it on to long. It took about 10 minutes to get the feeling back in my skin. Scared the hell out of me. So if you try this, be sure to either wrap it in a thin cloth and or don't leave it on to long. I started to put it on for a few minutes then take it off, repeating this for about 20 minutes. Still took the swelling out but did'nt give me near frostbite. Follow it up with a heat pad. The heat improves circualtion and helps in healing but you have to get some of the swelling out first.

Jon.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I have used what Vince mention in one of his posts about Vodka. Same deal mix Vodka and water in a ziplock bag. When I ice anything I have always done 10mins on and 10 mins off for as long as I could bare. I ussually wrap it in a thin tea towel.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
KAY DEE EXER wrote:I have used what Vince mention in one of his posts about Vodka. Same deal mix Vodka and water in a ziplock bag. When I ice anything I have always done 10mins on and 10 mins off for as long as I could bare. I ussually wrap it in a thin tea towel.
Then you can drink it when your done. Damm, edible ice pack :rolleyes:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Yep its an anti-inflammatory and an anaesthetic what more could anyone want. :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I gotta ask. K.D., what is that short clip from in your signature?

Jon.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

If wish I knew, just a random clip if found whilst out trolling. I wish even more so that I could find the footage from the camera man in the top left corner. Priceless... :lol:

jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

In addition to the other recommendations, I suggest taking ibuprofen for the pain and inflammation. Glucosamine Sulfate and Chondroitin Sulfate are the bodies natural joint lubes.

Here is a link:
http://www.arthritis.org/conditions/alt ... atdotheydo
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders
Vermont Motocross Association

I got stopped for speeding and the cop asks me "Don't you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?" So I said "yeah but I wasn't gonna be out that long."
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Yes I've been taking anti inflamitories for the last two months. I got off of them for awhile because most of the pain is gone now, but it still swells if I'm on my feet. I also take glucosamine tabs everyday, I've been taking those long before this happened also. I've had cronic knee problems since my highschool days. The glucosamine is kinda pricey but after taking it for awhile it did help with my knees and the swelling. I found a glucosamine tab that also is an inti inflamitory. It did'nt seem to work on the anti inflamitory part so I've stopped taking those and back to the regular stuff. Thanks for dropping a line though. :mrgreen:

Jon.