Well Here I am Again......

Causes and cures...
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Well Here I am Again......

Post by jafo »

well I twiked my knee again with a brace yesterday. It's happened on a really nasty hill. Then I hurt my back trying to pick up my bike because I could'nt bend at the knee's to pick the bike up later in the day. The day started really odd. I got on the trail and just could'nt get comfortable on the bike. But I forged on anyways. My riding buddy an I were hiting it at a pretty hard pace over the rocks. Then we got to this climbing hill. It was gnarley! :twisted: Between the quads and other bikes trying to ascend the hill, it created a pile of rock at the bottom that acted like sand when you hit it. Very unstable stuff. Another thing, there's no way to build momentum to hit the hill because all trails that lead to it are at sharp angles and you would have to turn in that chat pile at the bottom. If thats not bad enough, theres loose rock all the way up not to mention the deep rutts and ledges in different lines with numerous trees. It's an obstical coarse and very very technical. My buddy went first and is a very good rider. He got halfway up and got stuck in a rut full of rock that buried his rear tire. He had to get off the bike and walk it up using the bikes engine for help. He rides a CRF 250 X. Good bike. That should have been my first warning when he could'nt make it up on the bike. But I seen a line to the right I thought I could ride to the top. So I got it going and got just past where he got stuck and the hill became really steep and the front end lifted just enough to throw my bike into an alternate line that I did not want. It ran me directley into a 2 foot ledge straight up. So I had to let off the throttle just a split second and that killed my momentum. I was dead. The bike instantly tried to go back down. I got it up onto the line I had planned to go up before the detour. But I had no momentum so it was all for nothing. The back tire just spun and the bike fell over and started to slide trying to hook the front wheel around the small diameter tree to the left of me. I was trying to keep it from sliding into the tree and thats when my knee twisted because of the bad footing. You could hardly stand up on this stuff!!! So I went down yelling and cussing. My riding buddy came back down the hill and between the two of us got the bike on up the hill. He got on the bike and I had to hold the front end down while he gave it full throttle. We rode the rest of the day but at a slower pace and I kept loosing the bike. I just could'nt rely on my left leg to catch me. So I had to take it easy. I strained my back later on in the day trying to pick my bike up for the tenth time on a nasty hill with a hairpin turn in it. I could'nt bend at the knees to use my legs to lift the bike and just strained my lower back. That made riding very painful and difficult. I could'nt use my legs or backside to control my weight shifting on the bike. So it put a strain on my front arms. It sucked. we just rode around on some medium trails the rest of the day. I kept seeing hills and trails I would have loved to go up but I just could'nt. I knew if I lost my balance and went down I'd keep twiking my knee which I did a few more times yesterday. So we kept to the easy stuff. So I made up my mind that I'm not climbing back on the bike until I'm 100% period.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Better rest up like me.... Need to be ready for LBL on Labor Day weekend! :partyman:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Sorry to hear the trouble with your knee AND back!!! Ow! Do what ever it takes to get well again. Not just rest, but some sort of training to help strenghen the knee and the back.

I know how you feel about some days just not feeling right. But today, for me, I was on a roll all day. I couldn't do anything wrong. No matter how hard I hit stuff or how out-of-control fast I went, I couldn't fall if I had tried. It was like the whole world was in slow motion or something. Hills I could never get up with out having to dog paddle, fall over and walk up; I took in 3rd gear!!!! It seemed like the correct line was highlighted in a special light or something! I would see lines over 2 foot diameter logs in the trail I could take in a fast 2nd gear, then even kick the bike over sideways and look back at the log before landing.

So get better there buddy! You are paying your dues and your time will come. Be ready for the days when things go right and don't force them on days that don't.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

What kind of knee brace where you wereing Jafo that still allowed your knee to twist??
03 220R
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Skipro, I love days like you had. They are awsomley cool! I just wish I could put a finger on what makes days like that.... days like that. This way I could have a good day everytime out. I got my new issue of Dirt Bike mag. the other day. It had alittle article in it with Destry Abbott and another guy.... :lol: and some of the crahses and injuries they had made mine feel insignifigant. I like finding good lines over logs like that too. I don't do kickout's because most of the trails I ride are extremely tight. I'd wind up in a knott hole in a tree. Stragne sight if you think about it. Head's sticking out on one side and my bumm sticking out the other. :lol:

I plan on doing some strengthening training anyways, so I'll get plenty on my knees. It's not the first time for that part of the anatomy for me. I remember some of the exercises for my knees from last time. My back is feeling much much better today. :supz: I can feel it alittle bit once in awhile if I catch it just right but it's not as bad as yesterday when I could hardley get off the couch or out of bed without wincing in pain. Knee's doing alittle better also. The calf swelling was kind of concerning me alittle also, theres alittle light bruising on the shin area remenicent of my long ago severe ankle sprain. But all's getting better. Just have to stay off the bike.....which is gonna be hard to do.

Flakdx, The brace I was refering to is more a support but a good one. It won't keep you knee from the twisties but keeps things in line as far as supporting any vertical movement. But thats at a minimal also. This particular support has two flexible bars on each side of it.... two per side. I twisted my knee this time but probably because it was still weak from the previous injury. In my last topic on this knee, we got into a discussion of the expensive knee braces. I'm seriously thinking about getting a set now. I'm slowly figuring out that I may need them with the riding style I have. I take alot of risks, and try alot of very technical climbs. So alittle exra assurance would be smart, whether they feel bulky or not. I'll just have to get used to them like the new elbow pads I wore Saturday that saved me alot of skin. I tore the new elbow pads up Saturday. So no it was'nt an actual "brace" but a support with extra bracing in it. I just did'nt give my knee enough time to recover before doing some crazy crap. :twisted:

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Asterisk (sp?) has a no questions asked return policy. I think it is 30 days. Look into it. Also, try and get your doctor or Orthopedic surgeon or physical therapist to write a prescription for the braces. You might get "lucky" with the insureance company.

(If you haven't talked about this at work, fall down some stairs there. They should pay for the braces then. Wear them on the outside of your pants or wear shorts so you get the pity girls to fawn over you too.!!!)
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thats funny Shipro. You know I had to be carted out to an ambulance once when I pinched my schriatic nerve in my lower back. If your not familiar with this, you can't stand or walk the pain is so bad. There is no comfortable position. they carried me down four flights of stairs. I done this while lifting a 100# bag of sugar from near the floor. I later suggested they use some lifting table type carts to lift the pallets as yopu use the ingredients. Thats been almost two years ago and still no lift tables. It's just not in the budget....as usual. Unless your near death or missing body parts.. they stick you on light duty until it drives you mad and you beg them to release you. :roll: I guess it's a form of punishment for getting hurt while making them money. I don't want light duty, it sucks! :sad:

On the other hand, the prescription deal might just work. I'll have to look into it. :rolleyes:

Theres another make that is alittle cheaper but should yeild the same results. They are arouond $250 a set.

Jon.
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

That would be the EVS Visions. I have the Asterisk braces and I love them. I tried the insurance route and my Doctor was happy to write a RX for them. Only problem is most insurance companies will only pop about $100.00 MAX for braces and they are usually the type you re-injured your knee in.

The EVS braces are of decent quality IMO and would be FAR better than nothing. I think it is on the site that nobody mentions around here but somewhere over there is a big long write up comparison of about 5 different braces. I tried to find it again the other day and couldn't maybe someone smarter than I can find a link for you. :lol:

I just popped another $350.00 OUCH :oops: for one of these http://www.isports.com/newproducts/wrist.htm Since I destroyed my left wrist many moons ago and have limited mobility as it stands I didn't want to do any more harm as my orthopedist said next time I bust it up he'll probably have to fuse it solid :shock: So another $350.00 didn't seem all that expensive after all. LOL
03 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OUCH! That looks like a great brace, though. A definite step up from my old Rector's. :lol:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Wonder Twin powers.... ACTIVATE! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "