Timing

Discussion specific to KDX models not sold in the USA
200Chaos

Timing

Post by 200Chaos »

Hi all,

Can anyone offer some help? I've recently rebuilt the SR and upon trying to start it, it was kicking back really badly every 2 or 3 kicks as if the ignition was too far advanced. Now the problem I've got is that I can't see that the timing can be changed. I can't see any timing marks in the case. Not that would make any difference as the flywheel mounts onto the wood ruff key making any changes to timing impossible! Is there something I'm missing or is there another reason for the kickback? The SR stator is totally different to the standard KDX. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rob
Chilly

Re: Timing

Post by Chilly »

I'm going through the same stuff right now. Brand new top end bottom end and just put a new stator on and now it's doing everything you mentioned and running in reverse. I'm lost to. Owned my bike since December and ride it maybe a mile. If I wasn't so far in it id done sold it by now.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Oh and from what i have seen on the stator plate there are 3 marks and on the case there is another mark. All I know is, is that those 3 marks need to be pretty close to the mark on the case. Trouble shooting is time consuming because you have to keep pulling the fly wheel off and adjust the plate just a little bit until you think you notice a difference. Other than that I'm in the same boat as you are.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Timing

Post by Dekon »

Are there any marks on the stator plate?
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

yes. 3 small lines on the left hand side of the plate around 10 o'clock. Thats where mine is anyways. My bike is a 99.
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

If I remember correctly, the SR model uses a pickup coil to tell the CDI when to spark. Did you replace any of the stator components? Is the flywheel key in good condition? I don't know much about the SR models but I would see if you can test the pick up coil to see if it is bad.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Timing

Post by ohgood »

Dekon wrote:Are there any marks on the stator plate?

you may need to remove the bolts and eskers to see it.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

You have to remove the flywheel to get at the adjustable stator plate.
Rotate it counter clockwise to retard the timing.
The SR does not rely on an additional coil as a timing reference.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
200Chaos

Post by 200Chaos »

Jaguar wrote:You have to remove the flywheel to get at the adjustable stator plate.
Well that's the problem, there is no way to adjust the stator plate. It's held place with 3 bolts which have no ajdustment.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

In that case you'll need to make slots for the screws so you can turn the plate CCW.
Or try a different stator coil.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
two-stroke-brit
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by two-stroke-brit »

200Chaos wrote:
Jaguar wrote:You have to remove the flywheel to get at the adjustable stator plate.
Well that's the problem, there is no way to adjust the stator plate. It's held place with 3 bolts which have no ajdustment.
if it ran before without slotting the plate , why would it need it now .
can you check the static timing with an indictor ?
just trying to help .(new to KDXs)
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

My SR had a slotted stator coil pate. Maybe you are mistaken.
Beware that coils from Ricky Stator put out more voltage which causes more advanced ignition since the KDX CDI triggers off of the voltage.