Does SR series have a "cush" mechanism in the Drivetrain?

Discussion specific to KDX models not sold in the USA
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

I searched around for this information but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know if the SR series KDXs came with a "cush drive" mechanism in the drivetrain to minimize shock loading to the transmission when used on the pavement?
I ask because I'm plating my American-market '89 KDX200 and I plan to put a decent amount of street miles on it. It has no cush mechanism, like almost all off-road only bikes. Since the SR was designed to see street use, whether or not the engineers felt it necessary to include a cush mechanism might tell me something about how big of a problem the lack of a cush drive will be on the street. I'd hate to tear up my gearbox. Thanks.
Dodger

Re: Does SR series have a "cush" mechanism in the Drivetrain

Post by Dodger »

Nope! Sprocket bolts direct to the hub.

I did about 6000 street kilometres on my KDX F1 (Aussie version of the SR) early in my ownership commuting to work and the gearbox is still OK today. (I only ride it on the dirt these days.)

Cheers
I may be old, I may be slow, but hey I'm still getting my leg over - a dirt bike!
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

If you use a knobby tire I believe this helps act like a cush drive. I have a new 2014 KLX250s duelsport and it does not have a cush drive. Smooth on your shifts and not pulling the wheel up helps too. :grin: