KDX 250SR F1 / rebuild, hard parts

Discussion specific to KDX models not sold in the USA
mxkdx250

Post by mxkdx250 »

Hi i have a kdx 250sr F1 jap modle. Im a currently rebuilding. I need to no what should i do with the fmf pipe it has no flange whats the beat way to put one on.. an im thinking of taking the oil pump off also not sure i need it. Plus does anyone here now werw you can get piston kits ect for this bike there hard to find. Im also getting a new air filter & boyson reeds this week. There any mods out there for this bike ??

All people how have a kdx250sr plz post here as we all need each others help for this bike hahah. :) :@
CharlieB

Re: KDX 250SR F1 / rebuild, hard parts

Post by CharlieB »

Hi mxkdx250, I recently bought a 91 kdx250sr and i'm in the same boat, I'm not sure where your located but i'm in Australia and have found a few australian sites that have the parts fiche? and you can order parts through them. one site is http://www.powersportskawasaki.com/partFinder/model/796 , Elliot Brothers Bendigo also use the same parts fiche.

I also found an Australian owner manual from a Russian site http://klxclub.ru/content.php?r=149-Kaw ... ers-Manual if that is any help to you :grin: not sure what an Oz bike is doing in Russia.

If anyone has a Wiring Diagram for a 250SR it would help me greatly as the PO stripped all the lights etc to make it more like a MX bike. :naughty:
Beer!
Supporting Member

Post by Beer! »

Just recently had the same issue with my 200 SR, US FMF Pipe and Japanese pipe with flange. Image

Cut, measure and weld.

then boom, the flange tip is now on the FMF.

then mount it.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

That's a sweet looking kdx Beer! and a cool garage/workshop.

Took my kdx for a strap to see what needed fixing. Turns out the trans is leaking badly into the intake... Lost most of the oil in under 30 min :shock: . Now I need to source all the bottom end parts and complete my first bottom end rebuild. :hmm: How hard could it be... :grin:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Cool, Beer!

Good luck, CharlieB.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Beer!
Supporting Member

Post by Beer! »

My Japanese buddies shop, Small as a closet but has everything needed.
Beer!
Supporting Member

Post by Beer! »

CharlieB wrote:. Turns out the trans is leaking badly into the intake... Lost most of the oil in under 30 min :shock: . Now I need to source all the bottom end parts and complete my first bottom end rebuild. :hmm: How hard could it be... :grin:
Yikes, never heard of that issue yet. good luck and please document the process.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

So did you use the flange from the stock pipe or make a different/new one?
Beer!
Supporting Member

Post by Beer! »

Tip and flange from the old pipe.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Beer! wrote:
CharlieB wrote:. Turns out the trans is leaking badly into the intake... Lost most of the oil in under 30 min :shock: . Now I need to source all the bottom end parts and complete my first bottom end rebuild. :hmm: How hard could it be... :grin:
Yikes, never heard of that issue yet. good luck and please document the process.
By intake I meant crankcase. Anyway after buying a bunch of tools, flywheel puller, case splitter etc, I got the engine apart so now the bad news starts, main bearings are toast, the right won't spin smoothly by hand.

The crank looks like its been sitting in water and is rusty, big end bearing have play, small end has marks where it looks like water got into bearings.

Water pump shaft is scored, looks like the spring? That hold the water/oil seal on the shaft was installed incorrectly and has worn on the shaft.

The piston looks like it has exploded at some point previously as there is damage to the side of the crankcase. On a positive note the top end is essentially brand new, but now has a iron bore instead of the nikasil coated bore.

I will hopefully get some picks up soon to show damage etc.

Does anyone know how the kips should operate on an SR. The left valve fully closes and opens bur the right valve looks to be a tooth out or so, it is partially open when left is fully closed...
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Pic time,
Rust on crank, its only in patches, this is the worst part.

Damage to the left case. I'm guessing this happened when the top end decided to quit.

Right side of case, notice the water? Damage in the top of the pic.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

The PO obviously never worried about maintenance...

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW. You have a handful there.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Quick update, pressed the main bearings out at work, took said bearings to a bearing shop and got the seals and bearings for...... $75, which is half the price of the Kawasaki parts.

I bought a swingarm off of eBay, $100 including postage but it needs new bearings too.

The bike itself only cost $500 so $$$ wise isn't so bad (so far), plus I get to learn new skills and have a reason to buy decent tools.
frame78

Post by frame78 »

Hi, I have owned a 250srF1 model for over 7 years now. I have learned the hard way how to make this bike run well and be reliable. I have seen posts where people are having problems trying to locate parts. I have been able to get most parts quite easily as i have a part numbers book. I have found that using mostly genuine Kawasaki parts is the key to reliability. Most engine parts are still available and are not too expensive. The best way to deal with piston problems is to change the con rod to a Kx version , then the normal Kx/ kdx piston can be used. I am currently using a Wossner piston which is top quality.
If any members would like some advice or help with this model then just ask as there isnt much i have not done to this bike.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Hi frame78, I am currently looking at replacing the Conrod and piston in my 250sr, could you tell me which year kx rod and piston fits? I'm replacing these parts as the bike looks like it was fairly abused by previous owners and would rather replace these than take the chance that they are fine.
Kurt123

Post by Kurt123 »

CharlieB wrote:Hi frame78, I am currently looking at replacing the Conrod and piston in my 250sr, could you tell me which year kx rod and piston fits? I'm replacing these parts as the bike looks like it was fairly abused by previous owners and would rather replace these than take the chance that they are fine.
Hi, I am also looking for a con rod and piston for a KDX250 SR F1, any info on this?

Thanks