powervalve check

Discussion specific to KDX models not sold in the USA
kriss

powervalve check

Post by kriss »

hi folks, just joined this site and bought a 1992 kdx 250 which i have a few issues with. the main one is oil or fuel mix is being chucked out where the little rubber boot is so does that mean its a seal of some sort gone and if so how easy a jobs to do ? :wink:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

powervalve check

Post by scheckaet »

your post is not very clear, but if you are talking about the exhaust, that black goo coming out of your silencer is spooge. A little of it is normal, your silencer might be plug with that stuff, just repack/clean your silencer.
if you got stuff coming out around your carb then it's not sealed right and or your timing is off (doubtful).
kriss

powervalve check

Post by kriss »

scheckaet wrote:your post is not very clear, but if you are talking about the exhaust, that black goo coming out of your silencer is spooge. A little of it is normal, your silencer might be plug with that stuff, just repack/clean your silencer.
if you got stuff coming out around your carb then it's not sealed right and or your timing is off (doubtful).
sorry for not being clear enough my mistake. if you look at bike from kickstart side of bike attached to the cylinder is a small metal box and beneath this is a black rubber boot which i think might be the powervalve housing and black gunk is coming out of there. i thought this might be the powervalve housing and if so could it be seals gone and how hard to do? many thanks for your reply.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

powervalve check

Post by scheckaet »

I believe you're talking about the kips shaft with the claw connecting the actuator to the valve then.
as stated before, a little is normal, if it's coming out of that rubber part (which is not a seal but more like a cover) then yes you ought to clean the kips valve and put new seal.
It's not that hard on the H serie, dunno about the SR, wouldn't think it's that complicated. You'll need to take the cylinder off and clean inspect everything, and replace 2 small seals / oring.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

powervalve check

Post by KDXGarage »

What country are you in? Is this a KDX250SR?

As mentioned, check the seal on the KIPS.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kriss

powervalve check

Post by kriss »

scheckaet wrote:I believe you're talking about the kips shaft with the claw connecting the actuator to the valve then.
as stated before, a little is normal, if it's coming out of that rubber part (which is not a seal but more like a cover) then yes you ought to clean the kips valve and put new seal.
It's not that hard on the H serie, dunno about the SR, wouldn't think it's that complicated. You'll need to take the cylinder off and clean inspect everything, and replace 2 small seals / oring.
ive only just bought the bike and just had new piston and rings done. when you say take the cylinder off you mean the clylinder thats just been removed for piston replacement or some other cylinder(im hoping its the latter)?
kriss

powervalve check

Post by kriss »

Jason wrote:What country are you in? Is this a KDX250SR?

As mentioned, check the seal on the KIPS.
im in the uk and am really hoping its an easy job
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

powervalve check

Post by scheckaet »

did you remove the jug and replace the piston yourself?
I don't know how the kips works for the 250 sr but if it is like the H model I guess u don't have to remove the cylinder, just remove the head to di asssemble the kips for a good cleaning and seal /oring replacement.
Do you have to support the shaft to remove the claw on the 250 model?
kriss

powervalve check

Post by kriss »

scheckaet wrote:did you remove the jug and replace the piston yourself?
I don't know how the kips works for the 250 sr but if it is like the H model I guess u don't have to remove the cylinder, just remove the head to di asssemble the kips for a good cleaning and seal /oring replacement.
Do you have to support the shaft to remove the claw on the 250 model?
the guy who i bought bike off replaced piston and has used for 5 hours only.not really sure if this is a kips set up as it dosnt say kips on barrel. i have a little metal cover and under that a small rubber boot where oil of gunge is coming out of.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

powervalve check

Post by scheckaet »

pictures?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

powervalve check

Post by KDXGarage »

Does it look like this??

On a different note: I think it has a thermostat!
kriss

powervalve check

Post by kriss »

Jason wrote:Does it look like this??

On a different note: I think it has a thermostat!
hi jason, will check later when i go out as very early here . not good at uploading pics (sorry) have sent a pic to kdx garage so hope you can clarify model and what ive got to do to sort the leak. i can email pics direct to anyone, many thanks to all who are helping. i think when i find out model i need to buy a workshop manual if they still sell them, just checked and definatly kips system and peeing out oil everywhere.
kriss

powervalve check

Post by kriss »

ive decided im going to treat myself to a complete engine rebuild as at least that way ill definatly know whats been done and who by. my local bike shop is taking it in next tuesday so at least then it will run great with no oil slicks. id like to thank all who gave advice and help very much aprciated :bravo:
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

powervalve check

Post by turtle »

kriss wrote:ive decided im going to treat myself to a complete engine rebuild as at least that way ill definatly know whats been done and who by. my local bike shop is taking it in next tuesday so at least then it will run great with no oil slicks. id like to thank all who gave advice and help very much aprciated :bravo:
I pretty much did the same thing with mine and It was a good decision if you trust your builder. Runs like stink now and just the usual maintenance to worry about.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
kriss

powervalve check

Post by kriss »

turtle wrote:
kriss wrote:ive decided im going to treat myself to a complete engine rebuild as at least that way ill definatly know whats been done and who by. my local bike shop is taking it in next tuesday so at least then it will run great with no oil slicks. id like to thank all who gave advice and help very much aprciated :bravo:
I pretty much did the same thing with mine and It was a good decision if you trust your builder. Runs like stink now and just the usual maintenance to worry about.
thats exactly why im doing it so i know what ive got and after just selling my fz1 have wee bit of spare cash so treating myself. :grin:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

powervalve check

Post by KDXGarage »

Can you post a VIN? How about an engine number?

An SR version came with a steel gasoline tank, separate two-stroke oil tank, oil injection system, mirrors, a big bracket under the rear fender with even more bracing for a registration tag, etc. It was road legal in the countries it was sold in.

Your bike looks like a dirt-only version, which is the only version that was sold in the USA.

Nice looking bike!

kriss

powervalve check

Post by kriss »

hi jason, yes mine has steel tank, came with seperate oil tank and pump now using premix though and did come with indicators now removed by previous owner. on registration document its says date of first registration iwas 21 january 1999, manufactured or bike made 1992 so reckon you are right about dirt version so is that good or bad on no difference? . i bought it because i love 2 strokes and over here are getting hard to get hold of as being phased out. i need to get a proper maual for it now but like gold over here. thanks for putting pic up for me jason. just to say thats not my house or my dog/chicken as pic was from when i bought it. :grin: vin is DX250F-008732
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

powervalve check

Post by KDXGarage »

There's a chicken? :grin:

It sounds like an SR, then.
kriss

powervalve check

Post by kriss »

Jason wrote:There's a chicken? :grin:

It sounds like an SR, then.
chicken hid behind back wheel and definatly not mine. bike going into workshop tomorrow and will update on how it works out :grin:
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

powervalve check

Post by Brian »

The last couple posts are crack'n me up. :lol:
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch