1995 and Newer KDX Service Manual Owners, Please Read

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

1995 and Newer KDX Service Manual Owners, Please Read

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. If anyone has a 1995 or newer service manual, can you please tell me what the part number is for the tool to hold the fork cartridge assembly still while loosening the base valve assembly (the bottom of the forks)? My 1995 manual says 57001-1245, but when I tried to order one from BikeBandit last week, they said it was discontinued.

Thank you.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Sorry Jason, my manual shows on page 1-16 lower right corner a drawing of a "Fork Cylinder Holder" P/N 57001-1245
Then again on page 11-4 at the bottom is a list of special tools that includes the same item and part #.
I'm useless
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

skipro3 wrote:Sorry Jason, my manual shows on page 1-16 lower right corner a drawing of a "Fork Cylinder Holder" P/N 57001-1245
Then again on page 11-4 at the bottom is a list of special tools that includes the same item and part #.
I'm useless
That is exactly what my 1995 KDX200 service manual says, too. My manual states that it covers the 1995 model year. It is part number 99924-1181-01. Does your manual have the same part number? If not, what part number is your manual?

I have the Kawasaki 1988 KX125/KX250/KX500 manual, and the same special tool is listed in that service manual. I also have the Clymer KX manual for:

KX125/KX250 1982 - 1991, KX500 1983 - 1993

It shows the 57001-1245 special tool for the 1988 model year.

I just don't see how that tool could be discontinued unless they came out with a new and improved tool with a different part number.

Thanks for your help, skipro3. I really appreciate it.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Jason... Have you asked your local stealership? :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

yup, my manual has the same Part #. That explains why we have the same info anyway. From the looks of that drawing of the tool, it could be made out a length of all-thread. Maybe you could just make your own? Maybe when CC stumbles onto this he could help. I'm sure he's been down the same road.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Why? What in the world made you think they would know more than our combined effort? :-)

I am hoping someone with a current or close to current manual will report what their manual says.

A couple of years ago, I ordered a manual for my '87. The guy said it will be here in X amount of days. After time past, I called and the parts guy said it was discontinued. I think they don't know immediately if it is discontinued, because BikeBandit took my order for that tool, but after a couple of days, e-mailed me and said it was discontinued.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I will check with my stealership for ya.. or you could go to their website... http://www.worldofpowersports.com

KA57001-1245 HOLDER,FORK CYLINDER $11.54

Subtotal: $11.54
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $7.00
TOTAL: $18.54
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

skipro3 wrote:yup, my manual has the same Part #. That explains why we have the same info anyway. From the looks of that drawing of the tool, it could be made out a length of all-thread. Maybe you could just make your own? Maybe when CC stumbles onto this he could help. I'm sure he's been down the same road.
Thanks for looking. The two special tools mentioned in the 1987 KDX200 manual are real difficult for one person to use. It is really a two man job. The bolt needs to be tightened to 52 ft. - lbs. of torque while an upside down pyramid is placed inside a round hole, and one has to press down to keep it from spinning. The four sided part that touched the fork internals is avtually a 3/8" socket and the other tool is an approximately 18" long T handle with a 3/8" socket drive end on it.

I just got back from Lowe's. I bought some stuff to try to make a home made tool. I already have the forks bolted back together and tightened down to the correct torque, but I need something different for the next time. I bought an 18" length of pipe that is threaded on each end. I bought a threaded T adapter to put on the top and a approximately 32/33mm nut with machine threads that with a little coaxing, will be jammed / crossthreaded / whatever it takes onto the pipe thread end of the pipe. I am going to have to grind the 6 faces of the nut down to 30mm. I hope it will work.

I am still going to order the 57001-1245 from ronayers.com next week.

I would still like for someone with a newer manual to report what their manual says.

Thank you very much.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks, Indawoods. I think that site is just like BikeBandit, where they don't have 4,000,000 parts in stock. They just order it and hope for the best. I don't think any of these online places maintain the inventory. They are just like a dealer. They may have a few things in stock, but none of the old or odd-ball crap I want. :-)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... they are right down the street from me... and they are BIG! I will pop in there tomorrow if they are open and find out for ya.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW. You are lucky that they are close.

If / when you ever go by and want to ask them about it, that would be great.

Thanks!
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fulltiltboogie »

You really don't need any speciasl tool. You can use an impact to take out the valve. Leave fork assembled, turn upside down and slightly compress tube and use your impact and it will come right out.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

fulltiltboogie wrote:You really don't need any speciasl tool. You can use an impact to take out the valve. Leave fork assembled, turn upside down and slightly compress tube and use your impact and it will come right out.
I have an '87 KDX200 and a '94 KDX200. The manuals do not mention the 57001-1245 tool. They mention different tools. I am just trying to figure out if the 57001-1245 tool is discontinued or not, as I was hoping it would work on my '87 forks. I tried to order one from BikeBandit and they said it was discontinued.

Thanks for the suggestion on the air impact wrench. I have seen several people mention using an air impact wrench. On the pre-'89 forks, it is actually just a bolt. There is no base valve assembly. I would still need to tighten it to the proper torque on reassembly, so I think some tool is going to have to hold the damping rod still during reassembly. I bought an air impact wrench last night, so I am going to use it next time during disassembly. Paul Thede used one on the Race Tech video, and it seemed to make it a LOT easier during disassembly.

Thanks.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I tried making the tool listed here and at the other site :butthead:

But I had trouble finding a metric nut that large

I ended up buying FRP's Fork Dampener Tool
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Mr. Wibbens wrote:I tried making the tool listed here and at the other site :butthead:

But I had trouble finding a metric nut that large

I ended up buying FRP's Fork Dampener Tool

HEY! :-)

Isn't the FRP tool a pipe with a nut on each end?? What size are the nuts?

Thanks!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

According to this: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40

its a 27mm

I burned up enough gas looking for a 27mm nut that I prolly have close to $50 invested in mine :mad:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Are both nuts the same size on your FRP tool?

Thanks.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

JasonWho wrote:Are both nuts the same size on your FRP tool?
The nut on the other end is smaller, so you can attach your 12 point socket to it :mrgreen:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Well, crap. So, no way it is 30mm, huh?

The soulless batards at Craftsman don't make large 6 point metric sockets, so yes, I DO have a few of those >11,<13 point sockets. :cry:

24mm, 27mm and 30mm

:-)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Ok I went out in my underwear and checked it!

The nut on the other end is a 1-1/16"
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))