More on login..

Problems or Questions on General Forum Usage go in Here. (not bike related)
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

More on login..

Post by canyncarvr »

Been around this before...I'll give it another go.

Yes, I am logging in @ kdx.woodsrider.net for starters.

I check the 'auto login' box, but next time I come here, I don't 'auto login.'

BUT...I also logout when I leave. If I DON'T logout, then it does appear that I 'auto login' when I come back.

The question is this: IF I don't logout when I leave, does that leave the site open to anyone putting in my username? It could. Obviously, I can't tell unless I'm looking..and looking makes it happen. I've had unauthorized access to my account (not here) before due to such a thing. I would leave the site but not logout. That left the site open to those that had no business being there (under my login).

The whole 'auto login' thing means to me that I should be able to logout when I leave and next time I come back the site knows me by IP (or somesuch) and so will not require a login.

It doesn't seem to work that way.

Please explain the 'auto login' feature summore....exactly how is it 'auto' anything?

Thanks

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

OK... I wanted to wait til I got home to explain this. I have a PC... which stands for personal computer. In the beginning this is what they were supposed to be but at some point someone decided... "Hey! We could share a computer!" This is where things went terribly wrong!

Please only use the Auto Login feature if you are the only person who uses your computer.

Logging out, disables Auto Login because...well... you logged out! :neutral:

CC ...you are correct in assuming that if you use the auto login feature that anyone using your computer can get on the site as you and post as you. But... there are safety nets in place for your information which CC and I have already discussed. If you cannot or do not want to use the auto login feature, please remember to login when you get on the site or you will not be able to post.

I hope that explains it in a nutshell..... :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Here's my take. When you log-in from your computer, it puts a cookie on that computer. You can close the browser window, and later open a browser window and go to the site and you would be automatically logged in at that point. If you log out, then you delete/modify/expire/whatever the cookie on the computer. If you do not log out and someone else uses the computer, then yes, they will be logged in as "you, with your password", when they go to this site. If you are worried about someone else using the same computer and going to this site, then you need to log out.

If you clear the cookies in your browser, you will have to log back in the next time you go this page.

If you check auto-login when you "log in", but you log out before you leave, then you have turned the auto-login feature off, basically. You can NOT auto-login after you have logged off. You MUST log back in.

Auto Login means: "Put a cookie on my computer so that I can post right now(plus other features) plus make it so that the next time I come here I will already be logged in."

Logging off means: "Take that cookie away so that I won't be able to post (or other special features) during my current visit, plus the next time I visit, I will have to log in again to gain special functions.

As always, no need for a short answer from me, when a long one will do.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yup... :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well, sorta.

I know some websites can be accessed from a DIFFERENT computer (from the one that originally 'signed on') if that site is NOT logged out of by the first computer. Been through that before.

Well, that was a couple of years ago. Security changes have certainly evolved since then.

THAT'S what I wanted to be sure wasn't happening.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have been auto-logged on at home, then go to a buddy's house and wind up back on the website and have to log in again. It is looking on that computer for a cookie.

MMMM! COOKIE!! :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

MMMM! COOKIE!! :-)
A tasty delicacy...at least thats what FireFox says.... :roll:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I tried FireFox last night.... at first it was kinda cool.... but then I saw what it does with Flash files and certain html that I know is valid... ('cause I wrote it myself :lol:) and then I decided to uninstall it. I think it has a way to go before it goes mainstream.... but it has a promising start!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Were you using the 1.0 Final release? You'd have to pry Firefox away from my cold dead hands before i'd give it up. Most of the issues that occur with Firefox (or any non IE browser for that matter) have to do with ActiveX which isn't supported by default in FF and html/ccs/etc. code that doesn't follow the W3C specifications as close as it should. IE will tend to take code that is just plain broken and make it display somehow (thats a good thing btw) Firefox doesn't always handle it so well. The extensions are the real reason that I like FF. Lots of handy add-ins to make my life easier. Other thing that I like is that I can run it from my USB flash disk that I use for troubleshooting. Its nice to have access to a browser on a pc that isn't infected up the hilt with spyware to download patches etc.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... 1.0, Go to the Games Page and view those buttons. I know they should display like they do in IE. They were hand coded to W3C standards and they don't appear correctly. Now, try to launch a game! All it is... is a link to open a new window with the address bar , menu and other controls turned off of the browser window it opens in but it is resizeable. What it is supposed to launch is the .swf file in the window... that's all the link is too. FireFox opens a browser window and then the .swf file separately. I don't get it....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

So I suppose when I tell you that it all works perfectly for me i'm going to get digitally slapped? :mrgreen: The buttons look and act just like they do in IE. Flash also loads correctly and in the correct window, just like IE.

Does the flash file open in the second window and play? If it doesn't you most likely need to go and install the flash player plugin (from macromedia.com) and they will then play correctly.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What OS are you running? I am running XP Pro. You don't think I have Flash? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Maybe I'll give it another go... Makes me cringe that it's open source.... If I know how it's written... I can exploit it! :twisted:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Ok Ok since this thread already got HIJACKED!

what the **** is firefox?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
bigal007

Post by bigal007 »

Fox fire is a browser for WINDOWS based PC'S. Works ok for me, but i think i'm going to try mozilla. Heard it's alot faster. You mac guys are all alike. :butthead: :lol:
91 KDX200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Firefox and mozilla share a common source code. There are versions for PC, Mac, Linux and just about every other OS under the sun.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Inda, i'm running XP Pro on my home and work computers. My development machine runs Slackware Linux and kdx.woodsrider.net looks and works great on all of them!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

It's a stinkin' browser?! :shock:

This hijack is gettin' to geeky more me to get all excited over a browser! :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS