Your Scotts

Problems or Questions on General Forum Usage go in Here. (not bike related)
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Your Scotts

Post by canyncarvr »

Inda:

I looked at some damper threads...didn't find what I'm after.

You had some trouble with your Scotts and its mount as I recall. Scotts fixed it, I recall..too.

I'm looking to mount a Scotts low..where my WER currently is, so a good lot of this likely doesn't apply...but...

I understand the 'computer/no' makes a difference in how the damping arm is attached? Is that right? How much of a step/offset is there in the arm?

Is the arm itself detachable (and thus reversible)?

What was the issue with your pedestal mount and the Scotts you used?

Thanks!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I'm not Vince, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Last night..

The arm is reversible, just either order the damper with it reversed (Like I didn't) or order the $10.00 tool that allows you to pull it off and reverse it. I think there is a difference between "Low Mount" and what you're thinking. To Scotts, Low Mount means under the bars, above the upper triple clamp. They also have fender-mount options like a WER. I thought about that, but I actually change the damping control on mine fairly often while I'm riding. I suppose if you had a fender mount , you could adapt a cable rotator control like on a telescope, but I like it up where it is.

I solved all the mount problems ( I hope) by spending an insane amount of money on a Scotts upper triple clamp (gulp). Problem with it though is it doesn't look real computer freindly. I'll be calling them for ideas.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You fergot to do the [semi-awake] part....

For the erudification (sic) of all knowledge seekers (and semantics pickers!):

This description..

Low Mount
Complete Kits
Click Here

on the Scotts site is right next to this...

I adjust my WER on the fly...I think I could handle the Scotts.

The whole 'on top' thing doesn't appeal to me. It's too far from the point of deflection.

A side note: Mr. Ski has said he likes his street version (damp-to-center) for woods. That was mentioned to the local shop guy...he cast a side-wise glance at that idea. So...he called Scotts. THEY said, 'Yes. In tight woods a lot of riders prefer the street damping over the dirt damping.'

Something else to ponder.

What does the 'special tool' consist of? Is it required? Can't you just yank, pry, and otherwise beat it off with a crowbar?

Yes. The triple clamp approach is indeed an insane price!

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

huh. It's tough to be wrong all the time. But, I can take it. the special tool is pretty simple ,Scotts kinda warns you that prying is bad and you'll probably F it up., I wouldn't do the job without it. Well, okay I would once, then started feeling they were right and ended up waiting for the tool. So I wouldn't now. But, if you know you need it in that configuration, tell them and they put it that way in the first place. Kind of like a customer service thing or sumpin. anyway, the tool is axially $12.95 and looks very much like this:

Mike

'04 KDX220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

oh, and the clamp price includes the big bar clamps that I needed anyway, and the upper damper mount, that I needed in the first place, so it becomes somewhat more of a bargain... :blink: Okay, that's not gonna fly.. it becomes somewhat less of a screwing?? :roll: ....Fine, same screwing, just with lube... :supz:
Mike

'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The street version is not a stepped arm but is a straight arm. On some eBay auctions you can see this. I think some photos in my gallery show mine as well.

Mike, Check my gallery for a view of my top mount dampner and computer mount. It works GREAT!!! (Sure wish you were joining carvr and me this weekend !)
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well now....

I'm sure Scott's would accomodate you with the stepped arm on a "street" damper.... I'll bet ya a greeny! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'm sure they would. It's just that Carvr's photo link showed the fender mount Scott with the straight arm. The straight arm is $25 from Scotts. Then, if you do it yourself and not order it that way from them, you will need their tool or a tool you make yourself to pull off and press on the new one.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The arm is simply press-fit on? It's not secured with a fastener/set screw? The WER is held with a bolt.

CM, your Scotts is the first one I've seen upside down..and that view is somewhat obscured by that extractor thing that looks very much like the thing you bought for $13. Good pic! Thanks!!

Yeah, the pic of the red bike from Scotts does show a straight arm..but with the risers coming off the mounting plate, it wouldn't necessarily matter.

Oh...the local dealer (whose name happens to be Scott) called Scotts on the street/dirt valving thing (ski's is street and he likes it). They (Scotts) said that tight woods riders often prefer the street valving. :hmm:

Good job, ski! On the cutting edge of pioneering new dirtbike vistas!!

I haven't heard from Scotts yet...I asked them some questions about their 'low' setup. The Honda fender bolts up with four bolts like the KDX/KX fender does, so the plate would probably be wide enough to 'make fit' on the KDX. With the pedestal risers, depending on the heighth, it would take a step arm and maybe a heim jointed extender like the WER uses.

It'll all work....I'm just not quite sure how....just yet.

Lube? What lube? YOUR greenbacks!!

Ride this weekend at ski's!! Y'all come down!!

Consider the source

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

This weekend? Next weekend right?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Oh oh....m0rie didn't get the memo!

Oops. Caught me.

If everyone else gets there early, they'll be all tired out and won't be able to keep up and we can make funna them and stuff.

THIS weekend is Banshees at the dunes!!! ..and now I have one'a Ron Black's heads, too!!! YeeHAw!!

NEXT weekend (20/21), ride at ski's.

Sorry.

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

m0rie: Talk Carvr into leaving early on Friday. Traffic from the San Francisco area going to Tahoe thru Sacramento can add an extra hour or two if you dally around. Hit Sacramento by 4pm at the latest; better is by 2 pm and you will sail through. I'm an hour from Sacramento. Ribs will be ready by 3 pm and I'll be pickled by 2 pm!!!

Anyone else coming? Now, don't make me bring some KTM riders along to fill out our party! :partyman:
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

We should be on the way by 7 in the a.m. Friday (5/19)

....right!!?? :wink:

Didn't this thread start differnt?

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hyjack!!

Have fun this weekend and who knows? Maybe you'll get your Scotts sooner rather than later.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Back a bit??

re: 'The arm is simply press-fit on? It's not secured with a fastener/set screw? The WER is held with a bolt. '

yea or nay?

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The Scott's HAS a bolt on it... not really holding it on since it is damn near impossible to get it off without that puller.... and you would ruin it for sure....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Like Inda said; there is a bolt on the bottom of the Scotts that the arm fits over with a nut holding it down. Also, there is a roll pin on the bolt that mates to a slot in the arm for orientation. This pin is what transfers the arm movement to the bolt, then the bolt to whatever dampning device is inside the Scotts.
Jerry