clutch jerky engagement

Got questions? We got answers....
oldman

clutch jerky engagement

Post by oldman »

I have a 1987 KDX200 with a 240cc kit. When starting from standstill, the clutch engages slightly. As the bike travels a couple of feet, the clutch engages harder and every couple of feet it changes from hard engagement to soft engagement. I visually looked at the clutch shaft to see if it is bent. (No dial indicator) I cannot detect a visual wobble while rotating the shaft. Any ideas?
I repainted my tank and applied too much paint. Now the paint bubbles up, sometimes days later. I am told that I must remove all the paint and start all over!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: clutch jerky engagement

Post by KDXGarage »

Is the basket notched?

Painting a plastic gas tank usually does not work out too well.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
oldman

Post by oldman »

Thank you. I will check for a notched basket. The clutch seems to become more engaged during a particular angle of the position of the transmission shaft. In other words, a tight spot for each revolution of the clutch-transmission shaft. With it in gear and not allowed to move (holding brakes), the clutch is smooth , linear and predictable.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I'm having trouble visualizing this issue. When you say engagement are you referring to feel at the lever? Or that it feels as if the clutch is slipping and grabbing? And how are you in gear with brakes on and using clutch? Just using front brake and letting rear spin? (If you are truly not moving and dumping the clutch you'd kill the bike) What kind of oil have you been running (not energy conserving I hope). Condition of the basket and springs/plates in the clutch pack? Video possible?
oldman

Post by oldman »

If I am sitting still, and let the clutch out part-way, the clutch engagement is smooth. As the bike starts to roll, every foot or so, the engine is loaded more or unloaded more without changing the pressure or position of the clutch lever (until bike catches up the engine speed.) It suggests a bent clutch shaft or a wobbling inner clutch hub. I repositioned and scrambled the sequence of the metal and fiber plates, but to no avail.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Possible that the clutch basket or inner hub holes have become larger than spec and causing issues. Would make sense then if the clutch springs on one side are loading the hub off center if that makes sense? You would have to take the clutch off to measure those clearances. Have you checked the clutch springs for free length? Could be a contributing factor. Short of that you'd need to mount a dial gauge and check the shaft runout.