What is 'baiting' ??

Problems or Questions on General Forum Usage go in Here. (not bike related)
KDXer
Supporting Member

What is 'baiting' ??

Post by KDXer »

Just wondering what you mean by baiting, I'm not sure I fully understand what you are trying to say. Thanks... :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Read the Kips Rattle topic. If you don't understand...re-read.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:blink: Thanks, I think... :?

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Call me stoopid but I still don't get it... Nevermind though...

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

OK then... :?

..........it's easy to recognize by someone teasing a better way to do something, but no real information as to how. Trying to get you to contact them to see how it's done and then they try to sell you either a service or parts.

It makes the sale much easier for them because you initiated the contact. It's an old sales tactic.

Does that help? :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Sorta. :oops: I don't believe it applies to me so I won't bother you asking for specifics or to explain it further. Cheers. :rolleyes: :grin:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Your good! No problems...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Trev. "Bait & Switch"
Ya heard of that, right Mate
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:shock: Nope, wrong mate. You've lost me buddy.... (not a hard thing to do) :?

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm sure everyone has about had it with that bottom shock bearing..I know I have.

I've tried several different 'fixes' for this thing and think I've finally come up with a winner!

Rather than a long and boring detail on the forum, if you're interested, LET ME KNOW!

Email or PM me about particulars.

Well, that's rather a blatant example...somewhat exaggerated to make the point.

At least what I think is the point.

I doubt there is a problem with a forum member that has a vocation (or avocation) that includes something to do bikes having an input..but they should not push or hawk their particular service, or (as Inda clearly stated) offer a fix or service..a tease for an improvement.

Take the first part of this post. I've posted the bearing part number, where you can get it, what the measurement of the seal trim needs to be and even pictures of the stuff. That's a whole lot different from 'call me'...so I can sell some 'kit' or something.

You can see that it could get real iffy when it comes to someone that knows something trying to impart that information without the appearance of drumming up business for themselves. In such a case I'm sure Inda will consider the source..the general attitude of the poster.

Poster: Can the OEM PWK be bored, and is this a valid mod?

Mr. Black: Yes it can. The 33mm 220 PWK can be bored to 36mm for example.

Poster: Does anyone know who does that work and does it well?

Mr. Black: Nope!

Inda would likely take note of Mr. Black consistently paying too much attention to a thread of the above 'type' if the last response was, 'Sure! I do!' But, to say Mr. Black cannot respond to any carb question because of his profession..that doesn't work too well, either. Ron is VERY careful to avoid such an appearance of impropriety. And, if you've ever dealt with the man, you just KNOW he doesn't operate that way.

Aha! It all seems to be rather a matter of balance, 'eh? Like most things....

A BTW...'bait and switch' from the web:
Google wrote: An illegal sales tactic in which a consumer is lured by a low price only to be told that the "special offer" is no longer available and steered to a higher priced product.
But, you knew that...... :wink:

Dealer: 'F150s for ONLY $10,995!!!'
Customer: 'I want one of those F150s.'
Dealer: 'We have some of those, but only because there are MUCH better value packages available...like this....blah-blah-blah.'

Or...'We just sold the last one of those, but we have some GREAT deals on some better equipped models.....like this....blah-blah-blah.'

Exactly for that reason dealers now have to LIST the stock numbers of those 'great deals' that ARE available.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Totally and fully understood !! I think... :wink:

Cheers for the clarification. :supz:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I want to make it clear...

This has nothing to do with Ron. He has been nothing but a gentleman and I have great respect for him.

C.C hit the nail right on the head with his post. A lot of times I know what I want to get across but have trouble getting to my point. Give me a few beers though and good luck trying to get a word in edgewise! :mrgreen:

Indawoods
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: Mr. Black

Certainly, thanks for making that very clear, Inda.

That was an example of the 'balance' part of it..certainly not anything he has or would do. It points out the line that may be blurry from time to time..the difference between 'asked and answered' as far as questions go and what Inda is talking about (baiting).

If you're looking for someone that will do whatever he can whenever he can as often as he can, that's Mr. Black. I've known of some that have taken advantage of that with repeated requests for his time without ever considering using his services.

That's unfortunate.

Although a sometimes fearfully rare commodity..common sense in the situation will work quite well.

..and if I ever find some...I swear I'll use it!! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fulltiltboogie »

Why did this ever come up? I surely don't read all the posts but I've never seen anything I thought questionable.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sent you a PM boogie....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****