spark plug wrench??

Got questions? We got answers....
BigH
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

spark plug wrench??

Post by BigH »

Have been struggling to find a workable spark plug wrench to use out on the trail. Have a 22mm/27mm combo wrench (axle combo) but due to the coolant burp extention on top it doesnt fit down on plug all the way to get squarly on plug & is extremely difficult to loosen plug w/o it slipping off plug. I ordered a socket style with a extention handle on it that does fit between the plug & top end but you cant get it on the plug due to the plastics & frame interference. Also the piece of **** bent 1st time i used it. Was thinking of cutting the top part of it off with the handle also shortening it & drilling a hole through it so a screw driver can be inserted to crank plug loose. God there must be an easier way. What does everyone use to easily get your plugs out???
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: spark plug wrench??

Post by jjavaman »

That's what I did. Works well in the garage,haven't had to use it on the trail yet.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

spark plug wrench??

Post by 6 Riders »

BigH wrote:Have been struggling to find a workable spark plug wrench to use out on the trail. Have a 22mm/27mm combo wrench (axle combo) but due to the coolant burp extention on top it doesnt fit down on plug all the way to get squarly on plug & is extremely difficult to loosen plug w/o it slipping off plug. I ordered a socket style with a extention handle on it that does fit between the plug & top end but you cant get it on the plug due to the plastics & frame interference. Also the piece of **** bent 1st time i used it. Was thinking of cutting the top part of it off with the handle also shortening it & drilling a hole through it so a screw driver can be inserted to crank plug loose. God there must be an easier way. What does everyone use to easily get your plugs out???
MSR water cooled plug wrench. http://www.motosport.com/MSR-Plug-Wrench Works great and it's light. I keep one in my tool box as well as my rider pack.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

go to ace hardware store, or whatever po-dunk napa, farm store and get yourself one of the $2.99 kits. much like this.

http://btosports.com/mm5/graphics/00000 ... Wrench.jpg

it fits in my fender pack and works fine.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
BigH
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by BigH »

Thats the one i got. Cant fit it in there & it bent 1st usage.
BigH
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by BigH »

Have an ace near me. If the cutting the top off the msn wrench & holing it doesnt work i'm heading for ace. Thanks for the info. 30 40 years ago thats the one that came with every bike.
BigH
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by BigH »

Had a thought why you are able to get your wrench on the plug & i can't. I am shorter so i dropped the seat all the way which would also drop the gas tank. I am raising it back up some. Maybe it will fit then.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Ive been looking for a good trail wrench too!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.