Site Logo in header, can you see it???

Problems or Questions on General Forum Usage go in Here. (not bike related)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

This poll will allow you to make up to 2 selections. Please select the browser you are using, AND indicate if you can or cannont see the KDXRIDER.NET logo in the site header when viewing the site. If you choose Internet explorer, please post to indicate what version you are using and whether you voted yes or no. Likewise if you select "other", please let me know what browser you are using. I need this info to diagnose a display issue, so please participate!

Thanks!
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

I E 7 But that might change.
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Hmm. Maybe it's just the computers at work that have an issue with it? I can't see it when I'm using the IE7/8 computers at work.
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Using google chrome and can see header image and even the spell check works. :partyman:

I belive it is TIME for a change. :boogie:
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Site Logo in header, can you see it???

Post by radonc73 »

I have to highlight most of the site to see i,t it looks normal for a second then whitesout. It is not so much with the index but the topics are hard to read once you click in. I think I have IE 9. I am not very computer literate though.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Firefox 17.0.3 at work I can see it fine. IE8 at home and its just a green bar.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

ok and bear with me from memory....

You will always have this consistent problem. IE FIrefox Chrome ....etc etc. Picture a dog chasing his tail.

Despite possible version update and such ....sorry didnt check. Phpbb forums are a bit dated in a sense. I totally love this database and structure. Always have. HATE BLOGS!!!! With updates its almost impossible to keep changing code to appease one language or version.

Simplest solution which I applied to many websites in the day......loose the gif and make a flash file. Theres ton of code to embed that and pretty much all versions read flash the same. However placement is the issue mostly in IE and many versions. It stretches it......I bet if they see green then more an likely the pic is still there but placed past the left.

Looking at the page source and it shows ok for the conversion and shows there so ...........checking

firefox equals fine
chrome equals fine
IE8 sorry never use it really... green bar

Sad thing is if you try to manipulate code to make it ok in IE then Firefox is gonna mess up. Fix that then maybe chrome goes. Fix that both IE and Firefox goes to poop.

Look at it this way

Database sees flash fine.......displays it fine.........all browsers see flash fine..........win win fix

currently

Database needs placement codes for images of different sizes............database tells whichever browser it wants this..............Browser says nope I dont like that code with new update Ill force it here.

I was a very active member for php nuke and many versions and also phpbb which kinda went hand in hand like a kdx and fun.

If you come up with a solution let me know Id like to discuss. My fix was a flash file. Kinda really why most newer sites are flash just for this reason of incompatibility with browsers. In the day IE ruled all and today well you have other choices and each their own however everyone likes to do things different.

Also side note most IE problems stem from addons from what I hear rarely use like I said. Adblocker which is a godsend reaks havoc with firefox.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
GKBO
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GKBO »

IE8 I think,see the header.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

ICRage42 wrote:ok and bear with me from memory....

You will always have this consistent problem. IE FIrefox Chrome ....etc etc. Picture a dog chasing his tail.

Despite possible version update and such ....sorry didnt check. Phpbb forums are a bit dated in a sense. I totally love this database and structure. Always have. HATE BLOGS!!!! With updates its almost impossible to keep changing code to appease one language or version.

Simplest solution which I applied to many websites in the day......loose the gif and make a flash file. Theres ton of code to embed that and pretty much all versions read flash the same. However placement is the issue mostly in IE and many versions. It stretches it......I bet if they see green then more an likely the pic is still there but placed past the left.

Looking at the page source and it shows ok for the conversion and shows there so ...........checking

firefox equals fine
chrome equals fine
IE8 sorry never use it really... green bar

Sad thing is if you try to manipulate code to make it ok in IE then Firefox is gonna mess up. Fix that then maybe chrome goes. Fix that both IE and Firefox goes to poop.

Look at it this way

Database sees flash fine.......displays it fine.........all browsers see flash fine..........win win fix

currently

Database needs placement codes for images of different sizes............database tells whichever browser it wants this..............Browser says nope I dont like that code with new update Ill force it here.

I was a very active member for php nuke and many versions and also phpbb which kinda went hand in hand like a kdx and fun.

If you come up with a solution let me know Id like to discuss. My fix was a flash file. Kinda really why most newer sites are flash just for this reason of incompatibility with browsers. In the day IE ruled all and today well you have other choices and each their own however everyone likes to do things different.

Also side note most IE problems stem from addons from what I hear rarely use like I said. Adblocker which is a godsend reaks havoc with firefox.
Informative post, thank you. I still have green bar on my work PC, seems not to affect most users. Using flash is interesting, I may take a look at that. Have also started to play with SMF, as you are correct, PHPBB is a bit dated. I have looked at VBForums also. SMF install is here http://kdxrider.net/smf
Haven't done much with it yet. Seems a bit... limited.
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by CoronasAndChips »

Not an expert in webdesign by any means I haven't built a full fledged site with a shopping cart and email since 2003. ( Dreamweaver and Frontpage extensions) but aren't people moving away from flash due to all the security flaws?
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, I'm not planning on integrating any flash here. Too much trouble to keep it updated.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Flash in the weee first days was extremely vulnerable. You could easily change website links and make redirects and such. Cram a dos type attack or repeater and it would cripple a site.

Nowadays since flash has come so far. You literally cannot get away with alot of the stuff you use to be able to do. Almost ALL newer sites are flash. Flash is used EVERYWHERE now. Ever zoom in on a picture on a ebay item? Thats flash. The whole function of panning around an item zooming in and out scale of pictures is a flash function tied to a larger image.

So next would be to see if you can view that image on work and home computer. You should be able to view both fine and in whatever browser. Only way you cant view it is unless you dont have flash installed. Pick an ebay item and view it on both computers.

Now as far as flash goes. Your basically making the same file. You make it just a picture a couple frames and when it gets compressed and compiled its basically just an animated gif but with a flash movie file extension. Nothing fancy about it. No more of a security threat then a picture. Not vulnerable to attacks. You cannot alter the flash and you cannot alter the header file unless you were admin or had a god account.

Now as far as putting it on the page is no harder then placing that gif picture there. You simply alter (from memory here) header file to embed the movie there and in general settings display no image. Otherwise if you dont youll get a double header. Dont like it you can easily replace the header file with old and place the gif picture in header.

Worked well for me in the day. Drove me nuts trying to make a clan of angry gamers happy. Each one preferred a different browser and I remember spending three months trying to make it work for all. A buddy suggested a simple flash and I never heard from them guys again. Applied it to other sites as well.

As far as updating the site and updating I have no idea what your talking about. Its a one time setup and leave it deal. The whole process really takes place in altering the header file to display a flash file. Other then that theres nothing to ever update. If they dont see the logo they dont see alot of things. It will show an icon and tell them to install flash. In fact you can have it take it to adobe and instant install.

Takes more time to do the flash file if anything and I offered when I get to opening up flash to do it for you free too. It will not look any different but the same header but the picture will show in any browser and whatever version. Well lets just say FOR NOW lol. As with things changing you can see how things get left behind and you try to find a fix.

If you wanted to get shaggy I could make a white light trace and run the length of kdxrider.net and when you hover over it I could have a kdx screamin on the pipe sound. Flash is fun. Effin hard to learn.

Things for me are hectic atm and I wont be able to get to it for some time. If you send me the correct file I can edit it for you and tell you line for line what was done and you later know. Hell for that matter its a common file and I will dig through mine to see if I have one here.

Make the new header file maybe an hour

Make the flash file (like how it is) about 2 hours

5 mins to upload those two files

2 seconds to take the header file pic out of general settings. (leave blank)

Refresh page ......done and done. No server downtime most users wont notice the change. The picture or flash file will load faster then the gif too. I have playclaw installed on this computer so I can also record while I do the flash file and so you know what all is done there.

Just a suggestion you dont have to do it. I was just trying to save you three months of headaches like I experienced.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Sounds fun. Shoot me a PM and we'll talk about it.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have no problem seeing the logo, but, there is this stupid facebook crap that keeps coming up at the bottom of the pages.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

rbates9 wrote:I have no problem seeing the logo, but, there is this stupid facebook crap that keeps coming up at the bottom of the pages.
lol